collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:37:26 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:19:37 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Clampy
[Today at 06:17:55 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:37:26 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Re: Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:25:50 PM]

Re: Official Website by Chris Harte
[Today at 06:22:03 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 06:21:29 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Clampy
[Today at 06:21:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1125994 times)

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #7245 on: August 09, 2021, 10:47:50 AM »
I like the signings, but if you'd asked at the start of the window whether Grealish out, Bailey, Ings, Buendia and Young in would have been enough, I'd have said no.

Forgot about Tuanzebe. Still no, though.

We need something more in the middle.
you're spot on. Despite how highly we rate Mcaginn and Luiz we are often powder puff in the middle of the park.

Agree.

Much as I like McGinn, I would sell him and / or Luiz if decent offers came in. They are among our more saleable assets, but neither really fit the system Smith has been using, or would fit well in a 4-4-2 if that is how we will set up now we have Ings.

We have a superb defence and a potentially top 4 attack but that will be wasted if we don't have the right balance in midfield. in midfield we have a bunch of reasonably good players that can all play in a midfield three, but only Nakamba that is much good in the system we play. McGinn is becoming a square peg in a round hole, and being asked to play in a position that does suit his natural game.

If we offloaded McGinn, Luiz and Connor we would have wages and squad numbers freed up and maybe another £60m in the bank to spend along with the Jack cash. We could then get a couple of more combative midfielders that can operate as a two, with Nakamba and Sanson backing them up.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7246 on: August 09, 2021, 10:56:07 AM »
There's no way we're going to sell McGinn and Luiz, they're both good players who need utilising properly. In addition, that would be far too high a turnover of players in one season.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #7247 on: August 09, 2021, 10:59:16 AM »
I think Luiz is going to get stonger and stronger, we saw flashes of it last year although he showed the kind if inconsistancy you'd expect from someone with so few games under his belt.

He'd be among the last players I'd sell.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #7248 on: August 09, 2021, 11:01:11 AM »
Being linked with hermaso cb from athletico madrid for 30m. Dont know too much about him but cant see it if we have signed tuanzebe on loan

Very odd story. Apart from the where would he play/who's being sold? aspect, he seems to be very much in their plans if google has correctly translated their panic after he ended up in hospital a week back.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #7249 on: August 09, 2021, 11:02:58 AM »
There's no way we're going to sell McGinn and Luiz, they're both good players who need utilising properly. In addition, that would be far too high a turnover of players in one season.

I am just looking at the new signings and can't see how they play in a two without us getting walked through. Of course he may stick with a three and have Ings or Watkins on the bench, in which case it works.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #7250 on: August 09, 2021, 11:06:27 AM »
Is Luiz our player proper now? If he has a very good season can Man City invoke some release clause still?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #7251 on: August 09, 2021, 11:07:08 AM »
Is Luiz our player proper now? If he has a very good season can Man City invoke some release clause still?

No, that ship has now sailed.

Offline Risso

« Reply #7252 on: August 09, 2021, 11:13:23 AM »

I am just looking at the new signings and can't see how they play in a two without us getting walked through. Of course he may stick with a three and have Ings or Watkins on the bench, in which case it works.

I really do think that Watkins can play wider right of Ings, and lose none of his attacking threat.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #7253 on: August 09, 2021, 11:28:35 AM »

No, that ship has now sailed.

Good.  I now want him to be the best midfielder in the country so we can get another £100 odd million off you know who next season and for him then to revert back to one half decent game every 5 games.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7254 on: August 09, 2021, 11:33:59 AM »

I really do think that Watkins can play wider right of Ings, and lose none of his attacking threat.

that's where he played for brentford under smith, when maupay was their sole striker.

i suppose the challenge could be that watkins has bloomed in the sole striker role over the past 2 seasons, and has got himself into the england squad. he may be unhappy to switch back into that wide role.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #7255 on: August 09, 2021, 11:36:20 AM »

One of the pluses of having a player playing wide who has spent a lot of time playing centrally, is that when the play develops on the opposite flank, they will ALWAYS get into a central position in the hope of a chance.  That's not always the case with pure 'wingers' or attacking midfielders.  The downside of that is them not always holding position if we lose the ball, but one thing I'm absolutely not worried about with Ollie is him putting in a shift when it's needed.

I really like the idea of a fluid front three, and whether it's Ings or Ollie occupying the 'central' role in that three, they could all equally be the one finishing off a move.  I'm not saying Liverpool is the model to follow, but they have a front three it's not easy to pin down who is left/right/centre when they'll all playing a moving.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7256 on: August 09, 2021, 11:42:42 AM »
Except Sala is on the right and Mane drifts in from the left with Firminio central and deeper.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #7257 on: August 09, 2021, 11:49:12 AM »
I did want a big hard bastard DM in, still do really. But if we don’t get one, Nakamba’s decent enough this season. I go more on what I see than stats and his stats were very good last season. From what I saw he’ll be fine I reckon.

Offline Risso

« Reply #7258 on: August 09, 2021, 11:50:32 AM »
I really don't think that Nakamba is decent enough though. I think if he played regularly his flaws would be massively exposed.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #7259 on: August 09, 2021, 11:55:42 AM »
I think Luiz is going to get stonger and stronger, we saw flashes of it last year although he showed the kind if inconsistancy you'd expect from someone with so few games under his belt.

He'd be among the last players I'd sell.
Agreed.  A lot of us thought he would become an exceptional player.  Half a pretty average season doesn't really change that view for me.  I'd like to see him play more box to box, but we are pretty crowded in that position. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal