collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:19:37 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Clampy
[Today at 06:17:55 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:37:26 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Re: Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:25:50 PM]

Re: Official Website by Chris Harte
[Today at 06:22:03 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 06:21:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1126019 times)

richtheholtender

Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #7080 on: August 08, 2021, 09:03:27 AM »
Roberto Carlos

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #7081 on: August 08, 2021, 09:14:48 AM »
I dont think talk of signing Lampard was that outrageous at the time, he was an up and coming player but didn't have anywhere near the profile he developed at Chelsea.

One of the other ones I remember was Robert Pires when he was at Metz. I think the most fanciful was Veiri, at the time he as one of the best.

I met Vieri on the top of the Empire State Building, he confirmed that he’d spoken to villa about a transfer. We then saw his girlfriend and lost the ability to speak. He’d just signed for athletico madrid and was wearing their shorts which struck me as odd.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #7082 on: August 08, 2021, 09:16:01 AM »
 I suppose it was because Doug was our head Eurpean scout. I'll never forget when the announcement of that impending appointment was made in the program and we were speculating which former Europen great would be get the job. The next home game it was announced Doug had been appointed. The mind boggles.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #7083 on: August 08, 2021, 09:55:03 AM »
I dont think talk of signing Lampard was that outrageous at the time, he was an up and coming player but didn't have anywhere near the profile he developed at Chelsea.

One of the other ones I remember was Robert Pires when he was at Metz. I think the most fanciful was Veiri, at the time he as one of the best.

I met Vieri on the top of the Empire State Building, he confirmed that he’d spoken to villa about a transfer. We then saw his girlfriend and lost the ability to speak. He’d just signed for athletico madrid and was wearing their shorts which struck me as odd.

I seem to recall that Lampard left West Ham to go to Chelsea for eleven million quid and at that point in time most people thought Chelsea had gone mad to spend that amount of money on him.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #7084 on: August 08, 2021, 10:06:40 AM »
Fred Ljunberg was another before joining Arsenal.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #7085 on: August 08, 2021, 10:08:14 AM »
Just thinking of names that Villa were 'in' for but no real chance of getting them. Wasn't Sheringham one? And Kluivert? I suppose MON did as much with Sniejder!

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #7086 on: August 08, 2021, 10:10:48 AM »
Juninho was at Villa Park, but the deal fell apart over money. Les Ferdinand too. And who can forget David Speedie.

I think Les Ferdinand was close but he decided to go to Newcastle in the end. Imagine Ferdinand and Yorke up front that season.

Does anyone remember the deliberately fake David Platt story on Shoot Magazine? Proper trolling.

Yesssss - was discussing this recently and trying to trace back the year they did that. Was a proper full on few page spread on his re signing. Think it was 1994 Ish

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #7087 on: August 08, 2021, 10:11:42 AM »
Can't see us selling Watkins.

Linked today with Raphina at PSG for a low fee of £10m, and also a striker from Bournemouth. Can't see us signing another striker unless we find a loan club for Wesley.

That the Danjuma links? He’s a winger

Offline Damo70

« Reply #7088 on: August 08, 2021, 10:17:51 AM »
I lost count of the times we were linked with Steve Bull and Carlton Palmer. I remember a fair few Paul Ince rumours too.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7089 on: August 08, 2021, 10:20:16 AM »
I lost count of the times we were linked with Steve Bull and Carlton Palmer. I remember a fair few Paul Ince rumours too.

Steve Bull was very close to being done apparently but it fell through right at the last minute for some reason.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #7090 on: August 08, 2021, 10:21:38 AM »
A few stories floating around linking us heavily with Joaquin Correa from Lazio to add to our growing Argentinian presence. Not someone I've seen much of but looks good and can playing right across the front 4 positions but mostly on the left or as a 10 so seems to be a decent fit for what most of us think is the final potential gap in the attacking part of the squad.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #7091 on: August 08, 2021, 10:22:36 AM »

Steve Bull was very close to being done apparently but it fell through right at the last minute for some reason.

Not sure about us but Gordon Strachan I think said Coventry had agreed a deal and he didn't turn up for his medical.

Online nigel

« Reply #7092 on: August 08, 2021, 10:31:29 AM »
Van Nistelrooy was another. Manchester United had a £16 million bid accepted, we then bid £15 million.

Van Nistelrooy mentioned later in his career that his favourite playing partner was Luc Nilis, who was with us at the time he signed for Man U.
I’ve always wondered if Doug had pushed the boat out we’d have got him.
Probably not, but, one can dream!

Online thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #7093 on: August 08, 2021, 10:34:04 AM »
Weren’t we going to sign Henrik Larsson, but it fell through when we wanted him to come and play a trial match?

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #7094 on: August 08, 2021, 10:53:00 AM »
Can't see us selling Watkins.

Linked today with Raphina at PSG for a low fee of £10m, and also a striker from Bournemouth. Can't see us signing another striker unless we find a loan club for Wesley.

That the Danjuma links? He’s a winger

Yes, but the clickbait article in the Evening Mail (I should know better), has him down as a striker. Don't know much about him but second time I've seen him linked now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal