collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1109549 times)

Offline Hillbilly

Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #3090 on: June 17, 2021, 06:19:07 AM »
I must have been out of the country too long - can someone explain why Arsenal fans keep blethering about carpet?

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #3091 on: June 17, 2021, 06:57:44 AM »
We cornered the Jordan market a few years back and now we can take all the available Ramsey’s. If we get Smith-Rowe we will have all the Emi’s. It will be like Villa Monopoly.
I'm convinced we've got a big book that lists every player in alphabetical order.  The scouts use it to hide their grumble mags in, but as a result all the pages are a bit sticky and we just end up having to buy all our players from the same page.

Explains why we had that season when we bought all the Jordans, and then a season when we only bought players from clubs beginning with 'B'.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #3092 on: June 17, 2021, 07:16:10 AM »
Re the leapfrogging of Everton, Spurrrrrs, Arse, etc, Allan at Everton or Hojberg at Spurrrrs might be our defensive MF options.
From Arse, ESR, Tierney and Willock would be options; perhaps also Nketiah.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #3093 on: June 17, 2021, 08:02:10 AM »
NWSE have changed tact and see this as a great opportunity to leapfrog Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Leicester etc.

So it's no longer going to be a quiet one, but a large one. Aye aye!

Ashley Preece innit? Does he know anything? Although I didn’t believe it would be a quiet one, mainly because I didn’t want to.

Offline ursineultra

« Reply #3094 on: June 17, 2021, 10:15:57 AM »
A bit of a lowball offer for ESR. I'd love us to get him but it won't happen at that price.

You never make an opening bid with the full amount you're prepared to pay.
We did with Buendia.
We didn't.

richtheholtender

« Reply #3095 on: June 17, 2021, 10:28:41 AM »
A bit of a lowball offer for ESR. I'd love us to get him but it won't happen at that price.

You never make an opening bid with the full amount you're prepared to pay.
We did with Buendia.
We didn't.

£25 million might be low if he had 2/3 years left on his contract but I think with a single year that value isn’t far off

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #3096 on: June 17, 2021, 10:30:27 AM »
I thought he had two years left on his Arsenal contract..

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3097 on: June 17, 2021, 10:34:45 AM »
I thought he had two years left on his Arsenal contract..
He has.  I think he is almost certain to sign a new one too. 

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1405167484525858824

I'm not quite sure what we were playing at here (or indeed whether we ever made an offer) but triggering the Arsenal fans was funny.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #3098 on: June 17, 2021, 11:01:21 AM »
The Smith-Rowe thing is interesting.  Firstly, I think it's highly unlikely we'll get him, he's a quality young player, will only get better, and he English - so there's a premium on top of that.  Can't see him going for anything close to £25m.

Secondly, I find it strange to see it in the press that we've had an offer refused.  Entirely possible it's just agents playing silly buggers to get Arsenal to increase their contract offer ("the kid is clearly a £30m player, so pay him like one"), but also it's a public sign that we are NOT fucking around this summer.  It's a very strong message to anyone approached by us that they're going to a club that is ambitious.  Coming so soon at the Buendia signing, it makes us look incredibly proactive - which is a lovely change.

People are talking about Aston Villa poaching the best players from clubs above us in the league.  Whether it actually happens, or not, that's what the conversation is about now - and that's a HUGE shift in the perception of Aston Villa as a football club.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #3099 on: June 17, 2021, 11:05:38 AM »
I tend to agree that 25m seems well off the mark. But you don't know with Arteta. If he needs to raise funds and doesn't rate him, then he may let him go.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3100 on: June 17, 2021, 11:21:36 AM »
I actually think he has more chance of first team football with Arsenal than us too and supposedly supports them.

Suppose it doesn't hurt to see if we can tempt him though.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3101 on: June 17, 2021, 11:26:03 AM »
I tend to agree that 25m seems well off the mark. But you don't know with Arteta. If he needs to raise funds and doesn't rate him, then he may let him go.

I think there's something in that, knowing they're struggling to fund signings and testing their resolve. It worked last summer with Martinez. Plus, might have the bonus of pushing up their crippling wage bill!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #3102 on: June 17, 2021, 11:30:18 AM »
It would be brilliant if we could get him hope Arsenal decide to cash in.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #3103 on: June 17, 2021, 11:33:43 AM »

I think there's something in that, knowing they're struggling to fund signings and testing their resolve. It worked last summer with Martinez. Plus, might have the bonus of pushing up their crippling wage bill!
Yeah, I agree.  I figure we're bound to have at least done some preliminary sounding out before we made an offer, so Smith-Rowe is at least partially receptive to a move.  He also probably knows that if he doesn't sign a new contract, then Arsenal are going to see his sell-on value drop next summer, then completely disappear by the summer after.

I reckon Smith-Rowe is quite getable, and if Arsenal are struggling for funds then he might be available at a reasonable price ...

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #3104 on: June 17, 2021, 11:35:25 AM »
I actually think he has more chance of first team football with Arsenal than us too and supposedly supports them.

Suppose it doesn't hurt to see if we can tempt him though.

I'm struggling to see where this kid fits into our team anyway. If he's a playmaker he'll be competing with Jack and Buendia, and if he's a wide player he'll additionally be competing with Traore. Are we really in the market to spend that sort of money on a likely bench player? Would the kid even be interested in leaving his hometown club for that situation.

Unless we literally are splashing the cash on filling the bench with quality this summer, another explanation is that someone may be leaving.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal