collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:50:44 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by brontebilly
[Today at 06:46:52 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:50:44 PM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by brontebilly
[Today at 06:46:52 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Drummond
[Today at 06:45:56 PM]

[Today at 06:43:32 PM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:41:43 PM]

[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:37:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1126126 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #2595 on: June 09, 2021, 09:20:52 AM »
Algy, that’s what I call a journeyman.
Great story.

*mutters grumpily under breath*

That's not what journeyman means.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2596 on: June 09, 2021, 09:23:10 AM »
The video I saw of Pape Sarr showed him taking free-kicks and penalties but has the frame of the imposing defensive midfielder that I think there is a general consesus that this is a position we should be looking at this summer. We would have to be pretty convinced by him though because at that age, a lot can still go wrong and he would probably need time to adapt.

Indeed but he is older then Bellingham who seems to do ok

This gets thrown out quite often but Bellingham is really a once in a generation talent. Before him, in English terms, it was Rooney. For every one of these there's many who won't make it. If you're spending £27m on an 18-year old, you had better be 100% confident in his technique, his temperament and his ability to adapt. Wasting £5m on Tishbola was a big enough waste of money.
if I remember right, wasn’t Rooney 16/17 when he broke through at Everton and then 19 when he went to Utd? That goal Louie Barry scored in the cup this season against the reigning champions- you’d have to think of him as a similar standard to Rooney at that age. If we look after him right, he could really be a prospect for us if he gets a bit of luck with injuries etc. I’m dying to see him involved in some way next season, but I reckon they’ll assess over pre-season and then decide what to do with him just before the season starts.

Rooney was a brick shithouse of a man from age three. Barry has some filling out to do.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2597 on: June 09, 2021, 09:26:53 AM »
if I remember right, wasn’t Rooney 16/17 when he broke through at Everton and then 19 when he went to Utd? That goal Louie Barry scored in the cup this season against the reigning champions- you’d have to think of him as a similar standard to Rooney at that age. If we look after him right, he could really be a prospect for us if he gets a bit of luck with injuries etc. I’m dying to see him involved in some way next season, but I reckon they’ll assess over pre-season and then decide what to do with him just before the season starts.
Rooney was on a different level completely.  I vividly remember watching that youth cup final game and although Villa overall were the better team, Rooney was head and shoulders better than everyone else.  I remember every time he got the ball, wherever he was on the pitch, expecting him to do something special with it.  Now my wife hates football, but he was that good I remember calling her into the room and saying 'look how good this kid is, just watch him.'  She couldn't give a shit, but I just had to tell someone and we didn't have twitter and forums in those days.  In short he was exeptional, and when he broke into the first team at Everton and then the international stage he continued to be - a truly once in a generation player.

Now, I'm excited about Barry, Chuk etc and have very high hopes for them.  But they are nowhere near where Rooney was at their age.  Nobody is.  Although of course Bellingham is making a superb fist of it and may well go on to have a similarly successful career.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #2598 on: June 09, 2021, 09:31:06 AM »
Great story.

In the context of football, I'd say it is.  What's your interpretation Dave?

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #2599 on: June 09, 2021, 09:45:30 AM »
Great story.

Seeing as you ask, my thoughts are: Get released by the Villa and see the world!   ;)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2600 on: June 09, 2021, 09:58:27 AM »
Rooney was on a different level completely.  I vividly remember watching that youth cup final game and although Villa overall were the better team, Rooney was head and shoulders better than everyone else.  I remember every time he got the ball, wherever he was on the pitch, expecting him to do something special with it.  Now my wife hates football, but he was that good I remember calling her into the room and saying 'look how good this kid is, just watch him.'  She couldn't give a shit, but I just had to tell someone and we didn't have twitter and forums in those days.  In short he was exeptional, and when he broke into the first team at Everton and then the international stage he continued to be - a truly once in a generation player.

Now, I'm excited about Barry, Chuk etc and have very high hopes for them.  But they are nowhere near where Rooney was at their age.  Nobody is.  Although of course Bellingham is making a superb fist of it and may well go on to have a similarly successful career.

I thought Chuk looked miles ahead of anyone else in the youth cup final, just as much as Rooney did in that game. That's not to say he'll have the same career but first half in particular he was practically playing a different game to everyone else.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2601 on: June 09, 2021, 10:00:33 AM »
Great story.

It's a term from medieval guilds - it was someone qualified and skilled, but only good enough to be paid by the day (journée).

In the modern context, it's to do with the same principle. Good enough to earn a living, but not much more. You have journeyman boxers for example. It's just coincidence that a footballer who is good enough to earn a living but not much more than that is likely to end up on short-term contracts, probably at a lot of different clubs.

But - you can have a journeyman footballer who has only played for one or two clubs. By contrast, 15-club Rivaldo is not a journeyman footballer. So this chap is a journeyman, but it doesn't have anything to do with the number of places he has played.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #2602 on: June 09, 2021, 10:02:33 AM »
Not for me Paul, nowhere near - but then it was a long time ago.  I'm sure we agree that Chuk is a great prospect though.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #2603 on: June 09, 2021, 10:24:03 AM »
Seen us linked with Josh King today (no quotes so just speculation really).

On paper would be a decent and inexpensive option to cover for Ollie (as opposed to spending £40m on Tammy to sit on the bench unless Ollie gets injured). I do worry why Everton are letting him go after on half a season though, which strikes me as odd.

Also seen us linked with a Man City player that has been on loan at Anderlecht. We have seen rather hit (Beneke) and miss Samatta and Wesley) results with strikers scoring goals in Belgium stepping up. But we do seem to scout that league a lot so maybe there is something in it.

I do think we are likely to bring in cover / competition for Ollie though, as Davis should nt be the only other option and who knows if Wesley will ever be the same player (and he wasn't that good before the injury).

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #2604 on: June 09, 2021, 10:28:06 AM »
Seen us linked with Josh King today (no quotes so just speculation really).

On paper would be a decent and inexpensive option to cover for Ollie (as opposed to spending £40m on Tammy to sit on the bench unless Ollie gets injured). I do worry why Everton are letting him go after on half a season though, which strikes me as odd.

Also seen us linked with a Man City player that has been on loan at Anderlecht. We have seen rather hit (Beneke) and miss Samatta and Wesley) results with strikers scoring goals in Belgium stepping up. But we do seem to scout that league a lot so maybe there is something in it.

I do think we are likely to bring in cover / competition for Ollie though, as Davis should nt be the only other option and who knows if Wesley will ever be the same player (and he wasn't that good before the injury).
He's Norwegian you know?

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #2605 on: June 09, 2021, 10:38:38 AM »
I think I heard King was on a lot of money at Everton and the move seemed a little mercenary.

I felt he would have been a sensible signing for us in Jan when we were so light up top and out wide.  But now we have the whole summer to sort out our needs I'd hope we can do better.  Certainly if he's still asking for silly money.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2606 on: June 09, 2021, 10:50:05 AM »
I think I heard King was on a lot of money at Everton and the move seemed a little mercenary.

I felt he would have been a sensible signing for us in Jan when we were so light up top and out wide.  But now we have the whole summer to sort out our needs I'd hope we can do better.  Certainly if he's still asking for silly money.

On a fee transfer and reasonable wages he'd be decent cover for the front three. I'd certainly rather see him come on then Davis.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #2607 on: June 09, 2021, 10:57:20 AM »
Is Samatta coming back from his loan?

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #2608 on: June 09, 2021, 11:01:53 AM »

No deal was for it turn into a permanent transfer I think.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #2609 on: June 09, 2021, 11:06:35 AM »

No deal was for it turn into a permanent transfer I think.

I did read that he was concerned about how he was going to be received back following the meltdown of Tanzanian internet followers of his Villa stay?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal