collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:19:37 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Clampy
[Today at 06:17:55 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:37:26 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Re: Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:25:50 PM]

Re: Official Website by Chris Harte
[Today at 06:22:03 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 06:21:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1126032 times)

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #2370 on: June 06, 2021, 01:20:48 PM »
James Ward Prowse next target according to the Guardian

He's their captain and on the fringes of the England squad.

Unlike Norwich they don't need to sell. So unless there is some sort of buyout clause or whatever the money it would take is likely to be obscene. Even by regular football standards.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #2371 on: June 06, 2021, 01:22:29 PM »
JWP is great from set-plays - but so is Hourihane. What I've seen from JWP doesn't suggest to me he's a £30mil improvement on Hourihane.

Online jwarry

« Reply #2372 on: June 06, 2021, 01:30:55 PM »
So are signing anybody who had a good game against us in the past couple of years? Surprised we didn’t sign Aguero!

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2373 on: June 06, 2021, 01:33:26 PM »
JWP is great from set-plays - but so is Hourihane. What I've seen from JWP doesn't suggest to me he's a £30mil improvement on Hourihane.

He leads the Southampton press very well. He’s much better than just a set piece taker, although set pieces alone would be a massive enhancement.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2374 on: June 06, 2021, 01:34:56 PM »
Very underrated player. Hard worker, excellent leader. The attention goes exclusively on his set pieces for obvious reasons but what a super signing thus would be. And Jack’s little comment the other day of us not having good set piece takers…hint?

Online danno

« Reply #2375 on: June 06, 2021, 01:36:37 PM »

I can't really comment on the value for money aspect. But I do know that Southampton play a pressing style of play and that JWP covers as much (if not more) ground per game as his team mates and that he played every game last season.
His energy in midfield means he can play in a two, through being able to get up and down the pitch to keep up with play. He is also suited to Hasenhüttl’s pressing game, supporting the front four’s press and getting himself into a position to pounce on any passes into midfield if the opposition manage to beat the first line of Southampton’s press. His reading of the game and anticipation means he is suited to that role, following up the press and ready to sweep up passes that are misplaced as a result of the pressure their attackers put on defenders. He is consistently among the very best in the Premier League for recoveries – the total number of times a player regains possession – largely due to the fact he is so regularly in the right place at the right time to collect a loose ball.
https://www.coachesvoice.com/james-ward-prowse-southampton-ralph-hasenhuttl/

The set pieces are just a bonus.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #2376 on: June 06, 2021, 01:37:34 PM »
Guardian now saying we're in for Ward-Prowse...
Oh my. This could be an excellent summer.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2377 on: June 06, 2021, 01:39:05 PM »
Imagine if we keep Jack and sign JWP. The goals from free kicks alone would get us top 7.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #2378 on: June 06, 2021, 01:47:40 PM »

He leads the Southampton press very well. He’s much better than just a set piece taker, although set pieces alone would be a massive enhancement.
This. I was unconvinced by JWP, but I decided to pay more attention and I spoke to a Saints supporting mate that is also a coach for a level 5 league side (so some understanding of the game) and I've changed my mind.

Clearly he is not a 'beast' in terms of physical presence, but he is intelligent player, has quality on the ball, bags of energy, and is a leader. It strikes me that a real strength is that he recognises what his team needs in a game and is capable of providing that.

Obviously I don't want us to pay too much for anyone, but I'd be happy if we sign JWP.

Other than Watkins (for obvious reasons) he would be the player I would add to the England Euros squad given the injury to TAA.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2379 on: June 06, 2021, 01:48:41 PM »
Imagine if we keep Jack and sign JWP. The goals from free kicks alone would get us top 7.

If you just consider how many games Jack missed last season, how many extra points would that have got us? He missed 13 games. Even being conservative that’s worth an extra 8-10 points which puts us in Europa League territory. And that’s before you add in the signing we have made, the ones we hope to make and the improvements of the current squad. Of course the sides above us and around us won’t stand still, but what I hope this does is make us that much more certain (in the positive sense of course) and less volatile or inconsistent as a team week in week out.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #2380 on: June 06, 2021, 01:49:07 PM »
Plus there's Buendia also likely to take attention away from Jack & get us even more free kicks.

Better renew me passport for 2022.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #2381 on: June 06, 2021, 01:52:32 PM »

It would be a nightmare for opposition managers.

"Follow Grealish around and kick him lads, don't let him play.'"

"Also, don't give away free kicks in our third of the pitch, cos of Ward Prowse."

"Oh fuck."

Online Nii Lamptey

« Reply #2382 on: June 06, 2021, 01:59:13 PM »
You love to see it… I called for JWP weeks ago on here! Dean’s obviously listening in! Our goals for column has just gone up +10 with added free kick goals if this comes off! 😉
Tammy next please!

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #2383 on: June 06, 2021, 01:59:59 PM »
My preference too would be for a more physical presence in the middle of the park.

Think Palarse away: One of the worst sides in the division could play through us at will in the second half.  As per Sheff U away and a few other horror shows.

Marvelous has his limitations, but even with those, we looked better when he came in at the tail end of the season to fortify that area.

That said, a Ward-Prowse (or another player of that ilk) if they are intelligent enough and work well enough with Luiz and McGinn to keep the ball, winning it back isn't as big a priority.

Offline MalcolmP

« Reply #2384 on: June 06, 2021, 02:11:55 PM »
England team next world cup

A N Other
Cash Konsa Mings Targett
Ward Prowse   Chukwuemeka Grealish
Bidace Watkins Barry

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal