collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:19:37 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Clampy
[Today at 06:17:55 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:37:26 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Re: Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:25:50 PM]

Re: Official Website by Chris Harte
[Today at 06:22:03 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 06:21:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1126024 times)

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #2250 on: June 04, 2021, 04:57:57 PM »
Fever Pitch was horrible, pretentious shite.

Not read the book in years, wasn’t my recollection but there you go. It may have been a bit nu-fan for some but it rang some chords for me as a middle class white boy from the shires. I always got the feeling it was more a book about obsession than being a football supporter.

I couldn't get beyond him never going to an away match, not caring if other supporters were priced out or clubs went out of business, missing a cup final to go to an awards dinner and giving up altogether when he lived an hour away. He probably influenced Tim Lovejoy as well.

So why are there countless tales of him at away matches? Agree on the points re fan pricing and I’d forgotten about his rather Thatcherite view on Football finances which did grate art he time from recollection but Don’t recall the awards do thing or the giving up altogether in the book or was that afterwards?

Of course if he did influence Lovejoy then he should burn in the fires of eternal damnation.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2251 on: June 04, 2021, 05:00:08 PM »
He missed the 1993 cup final replay because of the awards and said he gave up watching when he lived in Cambridge. I also can't remember him at an away in the book.

Offline AV82EC

« Reply #2252 on: June 04, 2021, 05:18:48 PM »
He missed the 1993 cup final replay because of the awards and said he gave up watching when he lived in Cambridge. I also can't remember him at an away in the book.

The book finished in 1990 (ironically on that awful 0-0 draw against us in the 90-91 season remembered mainly because Tony Adams was quite patently drunk and we were singing “what a waste of carrots at him”)  so the awards thing and being in Cambridge were afterwards. One of my memories of it was him going to Derby away for a Cup game on the special and being legged back to the station. I think if what you’re saying is true then it was very much a question of him being an obsessional fan for a 30 odd year period of his life rather than what I’d call a football supporter.

Online danno

« Reply #2253 on: June 04, 2021, 05:19:51 PM »
If the agent bit is true that could help.

Cheeky runt. https://www.twentytwo.tv/

Come on Rudy! knocking together a phoney website to seem ITK.  That's poor.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2254 on: June 04, 2021, 05:22:58 PM »

The book finished in 1990 (ironically on that awful 0-0 draw against us in the 90-91 season remembered mainly because Tony Adams was quite patently drunk and we were singing “what a waste of carrots at him”)  so the awards thing and being in Cambridge were afterwards. One of my memories of it was him going to Derby away for a Cup game on the special and being legged back to the station. I think if what you’re saying is true then it was very much a question of him being an obsessional fan for a 30 odd year period of his life rather than what I’d call a football supporter.

There were aspects of the book we could all relate to. I don't think it defined the type of fan you are or how much of a fan you are. We all have similar experiences of going to games and some obviously have been fortunate (or not) to go to a lot more. I don't think it means he is pretentious in how he told his story. It's just his story and one depending on your experiences you generally relate to as a fan at that time. And I'm sure a lot of us have had to make decisions to not go to games; be they football related or non. It happens. You still love your club and it's why over the years so many of us stay on here for the good times and the bad.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #2255 on: June 04, 2021, 05:28:41 PM »
I couldn't relate to it at all. He lived in Cambridge during the book period; he talked about watching them. And Tony Adams was in prison when we played Arsenal in 1990-91.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 05:32:47 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #2256 on: June 04, 2021, 05:34:11 PM »

He describes an away to Villa Park in the book, which he called a "magnificent ground". He did however also refer to Ron Saunders as a dour, defensive manager of the type that only ever turned up at Highbury to play for a draw.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2257 on: June 04, 2021, 05:36:54 PM »
Well Ron did like a 1-0, I don't think that's controversial.

Offline AV82EC

« Reply #2258 on: June 04, 2021, 05:40:36 PM »
I couldn't relate to it at all. He lived in Cambridge during the book period; he talked about watching them. And Tony Adams was in prison when we played Arsenal in 1990-91.

You’re right Dave he did, apologies. He did go and watch Cambridge United though so he wasn’t a complete wrong’un.

I’m sure Adams played in the away game but it is 30 years ago so maybe I’m forgetting or maybe it was 91-92.🤷🏼‍♂️

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #2259 on: June 04, 2021, 05:45:34 PM »
The away that season was late on; it was the Platt in goal game. If I remember correctly we played them six times in five seasons, won five and still only drew on aggregate.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #2260 on: June 04, 2021, 05:47:20 PM »
Fever Pitch did start the whole pseuds corner bullshit around football though, the peak of which was 'Brilliant Orange' by David Winner about Dutch football and architecture and how they could be related. It's absolute dirge, please no one buy this. Don't encourage this behaviour.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2261 on: June 04, 2021, 05:53:24 PM »
A lot of writers want to write about football very badly, and they do.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #2262 on: June 04, 2021, 06:02:15 PM »
I think it was Simon Inglis who said he could have written Fever Pitch if he'd been egotistical enough to think anyone would want to  read it. I can't remember who said that a couple of years earlier Hornby would have written it about records he owned.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2263 on: June 04, 2021, 06:03:16 PM »
I think having a player choose us over Arsenal would be quite a statement. It's a test of where are for sure.

Offline AV82EC

« Reply #2264 on: June 04, 2021, 06:05:23 PM »
I think it was Simon Inglis who said he could have written Fever Pitch if he'd been egotistical enough to think anyone would want to  read it. I can't remember who said that a couple of years earlier Hornby would have written it about records he owned.

Wasn’t one of his follow up books about vinyl records or am I imagining that? I vaguely recall reading something along those lines by him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal