collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:19:37 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Clampy
[Today at 06:17:55 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Re: Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:25:50 PM]

Re: Official Website by Chris Harte
[Today at 06:22:03 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 06:21:29 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Clampy
[Today at 06:21:29 PM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:19:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1125979 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #2040 on: May 31, 2021, 10:56:25 AM »
Well Tuanzebe managed 19 appearances this season with the league runners up which is more than the likes of Engels and Hause managed

He missed twenty games through injury, which seems about standard for him (he also missed twenty last season and twenty-four the year before that)...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/axel-tuanzebe/verletzungen/spieler/342046

He only made nine appearances in the league including the final two when they were resting their better players for the Europa League Final having already secured a top four spot. So I'm not sure "played nineteen games for a team that finished second" is as high a recommendation as it could be.

If we are after extra defenders, there must be far better options out there with a far less off-putting injury record.

Still beats our options which are a 26 year old right back who was palmed off to France in favour of Elmo, and 2 centre halves, one of which hasn't played for a year and neither really covered themselves in glory when we came up. I'm sure there is better options, but probably more expensive at least in this country so you either pay cash/targett type money for 2 reserves or go the whole hog and replace them which is more. Tuanzebe would at least gives us a player who can do two jobs and pick up enough appearances to keep him happy and possibly challenge for a 1st team place

There's been people on here for the last 6 months muttering about "we need to be challenging for Europe next season or Jack won't stay" etc.. etc... Well part of that is having half decent reserves and the possibility of one of our defence getting crocked and the current reserves coming in doesn't fill me with confidence. They basically played all the games last season apart from Elmo who's gone now.

I don't think anyone thinks we shouldn't improve the squad and get better backups. But a good backup should be available when required and Tuanzebe's injury record suggests that wouldn't necessarily be the case.

I'd also like a backup who has the potential to develop into a contender for a first team spot in his own right. I think Tuanzebe is at or close to his peak and haven't seen anything to suggest that he is going to develop into a player good enough to challenge Cash, Konsa or Mings for a place in the team.

But even if he was, that injury record should be a massive red flag, especially with the luck we've had since getting promoted.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2041 on: May 31, 2021, 10:58:02 AM »
Yeah the injury record is a major concern granted.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2042 on: May 31, 2021, 11:15:06 AM »
... Could play him (Belotti) as a 2nd striker with Watkins up front which you couldn't do with Abraham...
I really don't get that comment at all; made as if accepted wisdom.
I can see both Watkins and Abraham playing extremely well together: both are energetic, strong, good in the air and skilled at bringing down the ball. Both are mobile and like to find the channels. Both track back into midfield to support their team when not in possession.
They would be able to interchange their play from wing to the centre, and their movement and interchanging would give opposition defenders a real challenge right across the attacking line.
Having them both - along with the current MF and forward & wide players - would offer us multiple attacking options.

The only issue with Abraham would be the value-for-money, if Chelsea want to play hardball and / or if Wet Spam and others pitch in with a bid.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 11:19:42 AM by Mister E »

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2043 on: May 31, 2021, 11:15:41 AM »
Then again, who is going to want to come in to be effectively fourth choice?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2044 on: May 31, 2021, 11:19:09 AM »
Then again, who is going to want to come in to be effectively fourth choice?
... which is why you'd imagine there are younger / less experienced options that Lange has already identified to improve the potential of the squad and learn their business as a 4th-choice CB (for cup games and incase of injury).

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2045 on: May 31, 2021, 11:24:05 AM »
We managed go sign Hause and Konsa with both knowing that they wouldn't be guaranteed starts. I'd be after the next Konsa, whoever that may be.

I think a backup centre half may get more games next season, anyway, with Konsa having proven himself as a decent option at right back. I can imagine Cash starting against teams, particularly at Villa Park, when we are expected to dominate, with the more defensively-minded Konsa at right back when we expect to be under pressure.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 11:26:38 AM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #2046 on: May 31, 2021, 11:33:03 AM »
... Could play him (Belotti) as a 2nd striker with Watkins up front which you couldn't do with Abraham...
I really don't get that comment at all; made as if accepted wisdom.
I can see both Watkins and Abraham playing extremely well together: both are energetic, strong, good in the air and skilled at bringing down the ball. Both are mobile and like to find the channels. Both track back into midfield to support their team when not in possession.
They would be able to interchange their play from wing to the centre, and their movement and interchanging would give opposition defenders a real challenge right across the attacking line.
Having them both - along with the current MF and forward & wide players - would offer us multiple attacking options.

The only issue with Abraham would be the value-for-money, if Chelsea want to play hardball and / or if Wet Spam and others pitch in with a bid.

Can't say I agree. I'd say they're very similar with Abraham possibly the better finisher but Watkins is a more complete player to me. One of the reasons Tufel has dumped him in favour of Werner is because he doesn't do enough for the team other than scoring I think.

Werner assists 8
Watkins assists 5
Abraham assists 1
Abraham assists 19/20 4

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #2047 on: May 31, 2021, 11:35:02 AM »
We managed go sign Hause and Konsa with both knowing that they wouldn't be guaranteed starts. I'd be after the next Konsa, whoever that may be.

I think a backup centre half may get more games next season, anyway, with Konsa having proven himself as a decent option at right back. I can imagine Cash starting against teams, particularly at Villa Park, when we are expected to dominate, with the more defensively-minded Konsa at right back when we expect to be under pressure.

Hause was brought in when we were in the Championship, and there may well have been a clause that we signed him permanently if we got promoted. Konsa was one of three central defenders (four if you count Hause) signed during the same window so the opportunity was there for him but the situation is different now - we have two England-class players in that position and what seems to be a perfectly adequate replacement already there. It would be great if we can sign some young, promising and hitherto undiscovered talent happy with such a situation but realistically it's not very likely. I'd much prefer to see if one of the Academy players can step up. 

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #2048 on: May 31, 2021, 11:45:08 AM »
Think the backup / squad players need to be Lange specials. Promising players from overlooked leagues who will see it as their shot at the big time rather than players who are already there.

For first team players, I'd be happy with us making fairly safe bets like Buendia. We know he can do the business in this league, in a similar role to one we need. If he's less than the going rate for that kind of player (£40m-£50m?) I'd have him in a flash.

Tammy, for me, just doesn't play in such a high priority position since we already have Watkins who's arguably one of the best strikers in the league. If we're signing a player to play 20 odd games a season I'd rather we get someone who sees it as their big break rather than a tacit admission that they're taking a step down)

Offline AllanW

« Reply #2049 on: May 31, 2021, 11:49:07 AM »
It would be great if we can sign some young, promising and hitherto undiscovered talent happy with such a situation but realistically it's not very likely. I'd much prefer to see if one of the Academy players can step up.

It's far more likely than one of the current academy centre backs being able to show signs of becoming a PL player in the next few months. Swinkel and Bogarde are the best we have and both have a year or two more maturing and developing to do before being someone who can 'step up'. There are competent players on the defensive side in the academy but they are full backs not centre backs.

Trust the recruiters to find the next Konsa or Hause if we're replacing Engels.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #2050 on: May 31, 2021, 11:57:12 AM »
It would be great if we can sign some young, promising and hitherto undiscovered talent happy with such a situation but realistically it's not very likely. I'd much prefer to see if one of the Academy players can step up.

It's far more likely than one of the current academy centre backs being able to show signs of becoming a PL player in the next few months. Swinkel and Bogarde are the best we have and both have a year or two more maturing and developing to do before being someone who can 'step up'. There are competent players on the defensive side in the academy but they are full backs not centre backs.

Trust the recruiters to find the next Konsa or Hause if we're replacing Engels.

As I said, it would be great if they do, but it's going to be difficult to persuade better than we've got in the Academy to join us under those circumstances.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #2051 on: May 31, 2021, 12:02:06 PM »
Bottom line is the likes of Engels and Hause were brought in when we were a championship side. Perfectly adequate at the time but things have moved on. I can't see any reason why we need less options now than we did in the Championship with Taylor and Elmo gone. I'm all for bringing through youngsters but I don't really want to possibly be in a situation where we're 5 games from getting a European place and one of the defence get injured and we're faced with blooding a youngster.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #2052 on: May 31, 2021, 12:14:57 PM »
like we did with Gareth Barry?

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #2053 on: May 31, 2021, 12:17:38 PM »
I want the PL version of Jedinak. Midfield enforcer, 4th choice CB and a wise old head.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #2054 on: May 31, 2021, 12:18:51 PM »
I want the PL version of Jedinak. Midfield enforcer, 4th choice CB and a wise old head.
ideal. Not sure who though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal