collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1108951 times)

Online jwarry

Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #960 on: May 08, 2021, 04:01:39 PM »
I kind of agree that attracting CL level players is difficult and yes they are more likely to join Leicester than us at the moment (think about that for a minute).  But, Citeh started somewhere with their intent and signed Robinho when they were nowhere near CL.  As they say, money talks....

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #961 on: May 08, 2021, 04:10:30 PM »
Galacticos only. Like Schmichael and Ginola.

You're in a strop today.

Obviously I meant players still at or vaguely near their prime.

We keep hearing that the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid are skint, and they might be banned from Europe. Go test them with a bid for Messi and stop fucking about.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #962 on: May 08, 2021, 04:11:00 PM »
(And Ginola would probably still have been decent under the right manager).

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #963 on: May 08, 2021, 04:17:14 PM »
And on the other hand there's John Terry, who a lot of us said was only here for one last payday but who gave everything he had because that's what great players do in every match.

I get that his past causes much of the apathy towards him, and he deserves much of it, but I really don’t think your point is talked about enough. He’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but he really has been nothing other than a consummate professional in every single thing he has done since coming to us. As a player, as a coach and when needed a spokesperson and cheerleader for the club.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #964 on: May 08, 2021, 04:19:20 PM »
And on the other hand there's John Terry, who a lot of us said was only here for one last payday but who gave everything he had because that's what great players do in every match.

I get that his past causes much of the apathy towards him, and he deserves much of it, but I really don’t think your point is talked about enough. He’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but he really has been nothing other than a consummate professional in every single thing he has done since coming to us. As a player, as a coach and when needed a spokesperson and cheerleader for the club.

And that's the difference between good and great. A good player sits back when he think he's done enough; a great one never stops competing because he knows nothing else.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #965 on: May 08, 2021, 04:22:36 PM »
The other thing with Terry is he seems quite happy to get on with learning his trade under Smith. I've no doubt he'll have been offered all sorts since being with us, but he's rightly (in my opinion) taken the long view rather than doing a Rooney or Lampard and diving in before he's ready.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #966 on: May 08, 2021, 04:26:28 PM »

And that's the difference between good and great. A good player sits back when he think he's done enough; a great one never stops competing because he knows nothing else.

I look at Ronaldo in much the same way. Of course Messi to a point, but he doesn’t have a fraction of the criticism levelled at Ronaldo. Ronaldo is only driven by success. Of course he’s self centred but you have to be to get to where he is. At his age still better than most of the players around him. He’s utterly remarkable even if you can dislike the image and persona he gives off. He demands excellence of himself and everyone around him and I imagine Terry is the same way. Something I imagine has impacted very positively on the Villa players too. Especially what is now one of the top defences in the league.

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #967 on: May 08, 2021, 04:42:50 PM »
Galacticos only. Like Schmichael and Ginola.

You're in a strop today.

Obviously I meant players still at or vaguely near their prime.

We keep hearing that the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid are skint, and they might be banned from Europe. Go test them with a bid for Messi and stop fucking about.

Not at all young man 😎

Seeing posts like yours make me smile a lot.

Very entertaining. 😂

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #968 on: May 08, 2021, 05:05:37 PM »
Carew was probably the last of that ilk. Not quite world famous but I imagine loads of other clubs around us at that time were quietly impressed we'd pulled off that signing and he quickly helped us from mid table to 6th.

Carew was a bit of a nomad before joining us, if I recall correctly he had fallen out with Houllier at Lyon so that swap deal with Baros kind of fell into our lap a bit.

No matter what kind of kind of cash our owners have, I think we need to be realistic about the type of players that are likely to join a mid table club. The likes of Traore and Sanson are experienced players but at EL level as opposed to ECL. Barkley was a punt a bit like Carew to try and get him back on track. Others like Cash and Watkins, promising players from the championship. I think our likely signings this summer will be from a similar pool.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #969 on: May 08, 2021, 05:13:22 PM »
Carew was probably the last of that ilk. Not quite world famous but I imagine loads of other clubs around us at that time were quietly impressed we'd pulled off that signing and he quickly helped us from mid table to 6th.

Carew was a bit of a nomad before joining us, if I recall correctly he had fallen out with Houllier at Lyon so that swap deal with Baros kind of fell into our lap a bit.

No matter what kind of kind of cash our owners have, I think we need to be realistic about the type of players that are likely to join a mid table club. The likes of Traore and Sanson are experienced players but at EL level as opposed to ECL. Barkley was a punt a bit like Carew to try and get him back on track. Others like Cash and Watkins, promising players from the championship. I think our likely signings this summer will be from a similar pool.

He'd played in a Valencia team that reached CL final in 2001 and had decent scoring record in La Liga IIRC. Yeah after that he went to play in Italy, Turkey, France so bit of a journeyman but still player with some pedigree and was only 27 when we picked him up.

In that period we also got in Laursen and Bouma who were experienced players so think we need to go down that route again, not quite CL but pick up good players from teams finishing 6th-10th in decent leagues as that will surely improve us, Berardi good example of that as he's key player of team who could still finish 7th in Serie A.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #970 on: May 08, 2021, 05:36:13 PM »
I don't remember Carew ever thinking he was bigger than the club though and in fact loved the club and still does despite having played for a half dozen.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #971 on: May 08, 2021, 05:38:43 PM »
Loved Carew.

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #972 on: May 08, 2021, 05:49:02 PM »
Loved Carew.
he was exactly what we needed at the time, he was different to the other forwards we had at the time, especially as we were reliant on Angel (getting old) Moore and Gabby were young and Baros wasn't doing anything - coming in during January seemed to give him a chance to get in full flow for the next season.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #973 on: May 08, 2021, 05:57:50 PM »
Have to say I wasn't too impressed with Dele Alli earlier today. Barkley esque effort without the ball at times. Doesn't look physically or mentally tuned in. Still has a touch of class at times as he showed with his assist but you need to be showing a lot more. The aggression to his game seems to have disappeared.

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #974 on: May 08, 2021, 06:02:17 PM »
I think Dele Alli is one of these players that needs to be loved - needs man managing constantly.
I think he's got ability, but getting it consistently out of him would be similar to Barkley.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal