collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1109146 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #900 on: May 06, 2021, 10:36:31 AM »
I suspect we'll be spending £80-100m and that we'll see Hourihane, Elmo, Taylor, Samatta, Kalinic and maybe Guilbert, Engels and Nakamba as well (along with Barkley).

That leaves:
GK(3): Martinez, Heaton, Steer
RB(2): Cash, Guilbert/Kesler
LB(2): Targett, *NEW*
CB(4): Mings, Konsa, Hause, ?Engels?
DM(2): Luiz, ?Nakamba?
CM(4-5): McGinn, Sanson, Ramsey, *NEW* (Chuk?)
LW(2-3): Grealish, AEG (JPB)
RW(2): Traore, *New* (Trez excluded for injury)
ST(3): Watkins, Wesley, Davis

That's 22/23 that have to be named in the squad (Kesler, Ramsey, Chuk and JPB are young enough to not need to be included) which would mean there's space for a couple of backup options.

Maybe Trez's injury scuppers this but I think the club would be wise to consider offers for AEG this summer while his stock is high. With the length of time he has had out, Wesley will probably go out on loan too. An upgrade on Nakamba is the priority for me, our midfield two hasn't worked for much of the season and we need someone strong next to Luiz.

I'm not sure why we'd loan out Wes unless we've decided to sell him and just want to increase his value before moving him on next year. Loan him out this season and we'd have to buy a replacement which would mean there's no space for him to come back to.

Offline Bryan

« Reply #901 on: May 06, 2021, 11:41:34 AM »
I'm torn between us spending a lot on a couple of players, or building a stronger squad without any superstar signings.

I think CM is most important, and I would of said someone to replace Barkley and be creative/chip in goals but watching Kante last night, I can see the logic of a dynamic DM.

I would also like a version of Jack to play on the right, but I doubt thats out there.

So I would say

Reserve RB in Guilibert doesn't want to stay
Competition/reserve LB
Reserve CB to replace Engles

Big money DM or Big Money AM

Someone to compete with Traore on the Right Wing or be first choice Left Wing if we move Grealish inside

Still looking at about £80 - 100m I reckon.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #902 on: May 06, 2021, 12:25:33 PM »
The one thing that Dean etc may be considering is if he brings in a top quality player aged 22 - 25 years then he is potentially blocking the pathway for those players in the youth set up who will, hopefully, be knocking on the door in a couple of years. He might consider an older player who is cheap and have a 2 year contract to fill the bill for now and not blow the outgoings sky high.

Online paul_e

« Reply #903 on: May 06, 2021, 12:30:02 PM »
The one thing that Dean etc may be considering is if he brings in a top quality player aged 22 - 25 years then he is potentially blocking the pathway for those players in the youth set up who will, hopefully, be knocking on the door in a couple of years. He might consider an older player who is cheap and have a 2 year contract to fill the bill for now and not blow the outgoings sky high.

The flipside to that is bringing in someone in that age range means they don't lose value to be sold on in a few years when the kids are ready. If we sign 28-30 year olds with the idea that as they come to the end of their career a natural replacement is coming through is a lot riskier and more expensive in the long run.  That said I would be fine with 1-2 players in that age range if they're a perfect fit for what we want right now.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #904 on: May 06, 2021, 01:24:42 PM »
I suspect we'll be spending £80-100m and that we'll see Hourihane, Elmo, Taylor, Samatta, Kalinic and maybe Guilbert, Engels and Nakamba as well (along with Barkley).

That leaves:
GK(3): Martinez, Heaton, Steer
RB(2): Cash, Guilbert/Kesler
LB(2): Targett, *NEW*
CB(4): Mings, Konsa, Hause, ?Engels?
DM(2): Luiz, ?Nakamba?
CM(4-5): McGinn, Sanson, Ramsey, *NEW* (Chuk?)
LW(2-3): Grealish, AEG (JPB)
RW(2): Traore, *New* (Trez excluded for injury)
ST(3): Watkins, Wesley, Davis

That's 22/23 that have to be named in the squad (Kesler, Ramsey, Chuk and JPB are young enough to not need to be included) which would mean there's space for a couple of backup options.

Maybe Trez's injury scuppers this but I think the club would be wise to consider offers for AEG this summer while his stock is high. With the length of time he has had out, Wesley will probably go out on loan too. An upgrade on Nakamba is the priority for me, our midfield two hasn't worked for much of the season and we need someone strong next to Luiz.

I'm not sure why we'd loan out Wes unless we've decided to sell him and just want to increase his value before moving him on next year. Loan him out this season and we'd have to buy a replacement which would mean there's no space for him to come back to.

I think we will be trying to strengthen the forward department anyway. Might be best to let both Davis and Wesley to both go on loan if we do. Watkins has played every minute this season and I don't think that's sustainable. Don't think either Wesley or Davis are capable of leading the line in his absence to be honest.

Online paul_e

« Reply #905 on: May 06, 2021, 02:34:13 PM »
The last sentence is the important one, people who think Wesley nad Davis deserve a chance to stake a claim are less bothered about an extra striker, most people who are clamouring to spend a massive chunk of the budget on Tammy have written one or both of them off as not good enough. Without knowing where Smith sits on that debate it's hard to know what to expect. The budget makes a huge difference as well, if we've got £120m to spend (first summer) then chucking £40m at a striker doesn't seem so risky, if it's more like £80m (last summer) then it massively limits funds elsewhere.

What my list does show though is how thin the midfield options are which is why strengthening in there is so important.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #906 on: May 06, 2021, 03:18:26 PM »
Was brilliant to see Davis score. However next match he comes on for his annual 5 minute run out so clearly in DS mind him finally scoring in prem game didn't alter his thinking for next game especially given the match was poised at 1-1 after an hour which is when many clubs would put on another striker to freshen things up.

It's simply hard to see him figuring regularly next season. I thought we should've loaned him out for start of 19/20 season so of course we could do that for next season but feels like we've timed it a bit wrong. Any loan spell would be just to increase his value.

We need a striker on the bench next season DS is actually confident to throw on in second halfs from 60th min mark and Davis simply isn't that in his mind.

Wes being eased in as he should so again hard to see him getting significant minutes for final few games so imo not enough to justify him being Ollie's backup next season.

I'd like to see Barry get some minutes in the final few games. Still very young but the way he finished v experienced Liverpool defence was special. In the long run he could save us plenty given he can play out wide in the front 3 aswell.

I still think a Calum Wilson type striker would make plenty of sense for us. Say we'd signed him last summer and he'd have contributed another 5-10 points for us with goals off the bench in games we were drawing or losing then I reckon we could've sold him to someone like Watford for 15m as promoted types are always after experienced premier league strikers so wouldn't have lost much.

Seen Ivan Toney mentioned but my issue is this....surely Brentford would ask more for him than Ollie last summer? His goalscoring record is better and I'd assume Peterborough have high % selling on clause than Exeter did so that will impact on Brentford's thinking aswell.

35m for Ivan Toney or Tammy for 40m, I know which one I'd choose. Incredibly Tammy is 18 months young aswell.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #907 on: May 06, 2021, 04:48:55 PM »
Incredibly Tammy is 18 months young aswell.

Well, if they're good enough they're old enough.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #908 on: May 06, 2021, 05:04:54 PM »

74 goals in 167 appearances, and I suspect a fair few of those appearances from the bench. Top player. Much as I love Watkins, I think Tammy is or at least will be even better.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #909 on: May 06, 2021, 05:22:16 PM »

74 goals in 167 appearances, and I suspect a fair few of those appearances from the bench. Top player. Much as I love Watkins, I think Tammy is or at least will be even better.

Yes a top player and if we are to improve further the squad needs strengthening, should Ollie pick up a lengthy injury at all next season we will be short of quality options up front, also Ollie and Tammy can play in a wide forward role.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #910 on: May 06, 2021, 05:22:51 PM »
I think the two of them playing together will cause several Prem League defences to have kittens! - pace, aggression, movement, positional acumen; interchangeably using the centre and the wings.
I'd say they're a pretty compatible front 2, complemented by JG.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #911 on: May 07, 2021, 09:00:01 AM »
If Man City, Man United, Liverpool & Chelsea + I guess Leicester aren’t all over getting Saka out of that disfunctional club there is something wrong....too soon probably for us to get into that type of signing but I’d love it if we did show the ambition to try & get that level of player in.

Really hoping he becomes the transfer saga of the summer and takes any attention away from our Jack :-)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #912 on: May 07, 2021, 09:38:22 AM »
I think the two of them playing together will cause several Prem League defences to have kittens! - pace, aggression, movement, positional acumen; interchangeably using the centre and the wings.
I'd say they're a pretty compatible front 2, complemented by JG.

I've said for years that we don't have an "Oh shit, not him" player, for when we're playing opponents who've coped with us for seventy minutes then we can bring on a like for like replacement they're afraid of. Manchester United are past masters at it.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #913 on: May 07, 2021, 09:48:51 AM »
I disagree Dave, Villa have had plenty of players that make be say "oh shit, not him" when they're brought on ;) :)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #914 on: May 07, 2021, 10:28:02 AM »
We have to sort the central midfield even if that takes most or all of the budget.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal