collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:46:00 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:36:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 10:29:02 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1108930 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #885 on: May 05, 2021, 04:56:34 PM »
I think Elmo should stay forever! Can't imagine him playing fur someone else
He's best suited here to be part of squad and bench.
Just keep him around for his experience , professionalism and to help Trez in his recovery.
Eventually a coaching role should be given to Elmo

He might be the worst coach ever though, getting the bibs mixed up, put the cones down in wonky lines, we just don't know.

Offline AllanW

« Reply #886 on: May 05, 2021, 05:26:18 PM »
Obligatory discussion of the 25 squad declarations allowed  for next season and movements this transfer window …

20/21 end of the season squad;

GK; Heaton, Steer, Martinez, Kalinic (on loan)

CB; Engels, Konsa, Mings, Hause

RB: Elmo, Guilbert (on loan), Cash

LB; Taylor, Targett

DM; Luiz, Nakamba

CM; McGinn, Sanson

AM; Grealish, Barkley (loanee), Ramsey, Hourihane (on loan)

Wingers; Trez, El Ghazi, Traore

Strikers; Wesley, Samatta (on loan), Davis, Vassilev (on loan), Watkins

Keepers; 4  Defenders; 9  Midfielders; 8  Wingers; 3  Forwards; 5

Total; 29 (25 need to be declared) (5 on loan, 1 loaned).

Promotions from junior squad;
(as squad member not ‘getting a few games’); Kesler?

Additions this window;                            Reductions this window;         
Vassilev – returned after loan         Barkley – returned after loan
Guilbert – returned after loan         Samatta – £7m sale
Hourihane – returned after loan      Kalinic -  (sold or cancelled)

now 28/29 (25 need to be declared) in squad.

This is all planned/predictable from what we know at the moment. So what are the recruitment team and Dean working on?

GK; Selling Tom Heaton if there is a market for him? Why not, we have cover for Martinez in place with Steer and can promote from the U23 (Sinisalo and Onodi are both 20 years old so will either need to be loaned or used). Result? -1, some money income and some wages saved.

CB; Only rumour or need is to move Engels on. No-one obvious to move up from junior squads at the moment to replace this position so recruitment needed. Hence stories appearing about Tuanzebe.  I’m not convinced that a no-longer-young, injury-prone centre half is what our stated recruitment policy is all about so I hope Lange has a name in the frame for this. Result? 1 in 1 out, transfer money spent.

RB: Time to let Elmo move on. Great servant but not worth a one-year contract as cover because we already have Guilbert onboard AND the possibility of moving Kesler up if we need. Use Fred who can cover in the centre as well. Result? -1, some wages saved.

LB; Time to let Taylor get on with his coaching career. If we are not to use Hause more often we’ll need to recruit here. Best options? Jordan Amavi (out of contract in the Summer) or anyone the scouting team rates. Result? 1 in 1 out, spending on transfer fee, no wage savings.

DM; Presuming we keep Luiz then no further movement needed here IMO. Result? +/-, no costs and no savings.

CM; I like both encumbents here so no further movement needed IMO. Result? +/-, no costs and no savings.

AM; Presuming Jack is staying he has to play here. Barkley can be returned to Lahnduhn, we don’t need to spend that kind of money. Ramsey can develop with more games, Sanson can step in if needed sometimes and we wait for Barrie and Chukwuemeka to mature. Hourihane needs to be away so sell. Result? -2, some saving on wages, small transfer income.

Wingers; If they all want to stay then I see no need to move any on. I think Traore and El Ghazi are fine and will be better next season. I’d add Rashica if he’s available but no biggie if not. Result? +/-, no costs and no savings unless Rashica is bought.

Strikers; What do we do with the returning Vassilev? Another loan period sends a bad message to him; does anyone know what the managements’ view of him is at the moment? He might be a useful backup but if not, we need a proven top-flight goalscorer here. The returning Wesley, Davis and Watkins are not enough of a strike force for a full season pushing for top half. I’d be happy with Tammy even at £30+m, certainly not the £40m that Chelski want. Result? +1, spending on transfer and wages.

Net Result? -3, transfer fees of up to £40m spent, 3 or 4 wages saved. Leaving 25/26 in the squad. Someone gets loaned out and we are fine for next season.

Sale or loan out options to get to 25;  would need 1 from the list below;

Vassilev, Davis, Ramsey.

Leaving us with; Keepers; 3  Defenders; 8  Midfielders; 6  Wingers; 3  Forwards; 5

Total; 25

Summary;

Money spent; NET only £40m and probably saving 3 or 4 wages. Leaves plenty for youth squad development and possibly some groundworks. Challenge for European places if we build in experience and game management from the second half of this year; if we play like we did in the first half we’ll challenge hard for European places.

I’d call this the ‘least-cost’ path but Lange and Smith may be aiming for more; what would that look like?

1. Beef-up the midfield.
The issue is that we have looked underpowered sometimes. With any injuries at all we look sparse on the bench in this area as well so upgrades might be seen as a priority. However this is why Sanson was bought, isn’t it? The problem is that anyone we want and manage to get in this Summer, while being an upgrade over what we have now (I presume or why do it?), would mean we have to move someone out to hit our squad number limit. So if we do go for the Blades midfielder do we get rid of Nakamba? Or does it slam the door for a year or so on any opportunities for the youth to get games?

2. Competition/Cover at left and right back.
We all know that our 2 wide backs have ageing cover on the bench with both Taylor and Elmo coming up for contract renewal or release. So something needs to be done now. Both first-choice backs in Cash and Targett are young enough to be there for a few years and provide a bridge to youth players making it up to the first team so presumably we don’t want replacements for them just good cover. But in Fred Guilbert and Hause we have that cover and I’d prefer they got more games than they had this year unless we can sign Amavi and treat Targett as the cover player.

3. Replacing Jack if he decides to go elsewhere.
I know, I know ‘It won’t happen’ but what if his mind changes? We would need not only a replacement for his creativity but also a statement signing to shore-up the ambition to fight for European places. Because that IS the target next season, no doubt about it.

I don’t think Buendia does the job. He might grow into the role but it would not be immediate and the target is NOW to be competitive. I also don’t think Barrie or Chuk are ready for that leap up yet either. Even further off than Buendia. So we’d need to buy a startling player and there aren’t many of those around and they would cost all the money we get for Jack. The players who could be that marquee signing already play for big clubs with European football so wouldn’t want to ‘drop down’ to us who don’t.

Or am I missing someone?

With all the losses this last 18 months have seen caused by Covid and the lack of crowds at Villa Park I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t splash-out £100m again because for less than half of that we could be a serious challenger for Europe nest season.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #887 on: May 05, 2021, 06:47:57 PM »
The same source ( Football Insider ) via BBC gossip is also saying Dean has decided not to make AEG available for transfer.

That's big of him.

I’m pretty sure Dean has also decided not to make Jack and Chuk available for transfer and yet the same source hasn’t taken a blind bit of notice.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #888 on: May 05, 2021, 07:06:57 PM »
Obligatory discussion of the 25 squad declarations allowed  for next season and movements this transfer window …

... With all the losses this last 18 months have seen caused by Covid and the lack of crowds at Villa Park I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t splash-out £100m again because for less than half of that we could be a serious challenger for Europe nest season.
Thanks for your input here, Allan.
If you're including loanees, then I'd suggest Archer and Dom Revan maybe should be included since Vassilev has been.
I disagree with your basic assumption here (you're not an accountant by any chance, are you??  ;D ): I suspect that Wes and Nas will see this - a time where clubs have struggled financially and where FFP will take a back seat for a while - as exactly the right time for big investment in new talent, to shift the first XI and the squad from mid-table to top 6 quality.
So, my assumption would be that the management will 'up' the quality in key parts of the pitch - viz, quality cover for JG (Buendia and / or Pereira and / someone else of that ilk); definitely more horsepower in the central / holding MF role; and probably another class striker.
Could be £120m.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #889 on: May 05, 2021, 07:22:23 PM »
This is the lad who recently signed a new contract? Must have been in a closed room at gun point.

This.

There seem to be a few assuming the worst about this player based on some internet rumours which he has no control of, despite the fact that he has, literally, signed the longest possible contract that a player of his age is legally allowed to sign.

He looks really great, that's a good reason to be happy as far as I'm concerned. Why the desperate rush to panic among some fans? I'm sure some refuse to celebrate a goal in case the goalscorer requests a transfer in his post-match interview.

(Whereas, as we all know, the correct reason for not celebrating a goal is because you're waiting for it to be disallowed by VAR)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #890 on: May 05, 2021, 07:32:02 PM »
I suspect we'll be spending £80-100m and that we'll see Hourihane, Elmo, Taylor, Samatta, Kalinic and maybe Guilbert, Engels and Nakamba as well (along with Barkley).

That leaves:
GK(3): Martinez, Heaton, Steer
RB(2): Cash, Guilbert/Kesler
LB(2): Targett, *NEW*
CB(4): Mings, Konsa, Hause, ?Engels?
DM(2): Luiz, ?Nakamba?
CM(4-5): McGinn, Sanson, Ramsey, *NEW* (Chuk?)
LW(2-3): Grealish, AEG (JPB)
RW(2): Traore, *New* (Trez excluded for injury)
ST(3): Watkins, Wesley, Davis

That's 22/23 that have to be named in the squad (Kesler, Ramsey, Chuk and JPB are young enough to not need to be included) which would mean there's space for a couple of backup options.

Offline AllanW

« Reply #891 on: May 05, 2021, 07:50:18 PM »
I suspect we'll be spending £80-100m
[snip]
That's 22/23 that have to be named in the squad (Kesler, Ramsey, Chuk and JPB are young enough to not need to be included) which would mean there's space for a couple of backup options.

I think we're very similar here. I don't think they'd be happy with Kesler as backup to Cash as he's not got enough defensive strength for the PL. I'd forgotten Ramsey (and of course Chuk, Barrie and any of the other academy players) would not need to be declared in the 25; thanks for that reminder. That leaves it open for a recruitment without a sale. Can't believe you don't think we need Tammy or another similar calibre striker! Is that right? :)

That extra place might mean we can buy Berge or Buendia without causing a squad declaration problem.

Mister E; I appreciate the thought about upgrading but it means 2, 3 or 4 of the current squad IN ADDITION to the ones both I and paul e mentioned going would have to be sold; which ones?

I'd love it but we'll see :)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #892 on: May 05, 2021, 08:02:18 PM »
Tuanzebe, Sessegnon and Abraham for starters.

What's the obsession with Tuanzebe? He wasn't even that amazing in the first place and he's made out of glass. The other two, goo on then. 🙂

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #893 on: May 05, 2021, 08:07:35 PM »
Sign Axel for the song alone.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #894 on: May 05, 2021, 08:11:48 PM »
Oh good, this twat of a commentator is going to spend the next 90 minutes saying "Benzymarr" over and over again.

*Whoops wrong thread*

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #895 on: May 06, 2021, 12:13:05 AM »
Think everything is highly dependent on what happens with Jack Grealish, but should he stay, I think we are a quality defensive midfielder and right sided attacker away from being a side capable of cementing a place in the top ten of the division next season. 

We will need to add some strength in depth in certain positions and would hope that the likes of Cash, Konsa, Targett and Watkins push on again from the good seasons they have had so far.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #896 on: May 06, 2021, 02:12:35 AM »
What's the obsession with Tuanzebe? He wasn't even that amazing in the first place and he's made out of glass. The other two, goo on then. 🙂

Was thinking the very same...for a CB he's terrible in the air and is so injury-prone they'd probably have to reserve a treatment table for him at BMH.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #897 on: May 06, 2021, 07:15:52 AM »

He’s become a big of a cult hero hasn’t he? He had some good spells and was superb come the end, but I’d worry too much about his injury record. He’s not had the best of time either has he since.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #898 on: May 06, 2021, 07:27:15 AM »

I thought he was a decent enough player with a lot of potential but yeah, his injury record is a concern.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #899 on: May 06, 2021, 09:29:39 AM »
I suspect we'll be spending £80-100m and that we'll see Hourihane, Elmo, Taylor, Samatta, Kalinic and maybe Guilbert, Engels and Nakamba as well (along with Barkley).

That leaves:
GK(3): Martinez, Heaton, Steer
RB(2): Cash, Guilbert/Kesler
LB(2): Targett, *NEW*
CB(4): Mings, Konsa, Hause, ?Engels?
DM(2): Luiz, ?Nakamba?
CM(4-5): McGinn, Sanson, Ramsey, *NEW* (Chuk?)
LW(2-3): Grealish, AEG (JPB)
RW(2): Traore, *New* (Trez excluded for injury)
ST(3): Watkins, Wesley, Davis

Maybe Trez's injury scuppers this but I think the club would be wise to consider offers for AEG this summer while his stock is high. With the length of time he has had out, Wesley will probably go out on loan too. An upgrade on Nakamba is the priority for me, our midfield two hasn't worked for much of the season and we need someone strong next to Luiz.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal