collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1109446 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #780 on: May 01, 2021, 01:54:26 PM »
He wanted Aidan McGeady and Scott Parker in that final summer so yeah not far off the mentions above!

It was disappointing narrow thinking from him as we signed John Carew within six months of him coming in and that sort of signing was exactly what we needed at the time, internationally known player who'd show people we wanted to improve our standing and he played his part in us moving from mid table to 6th in about 18 months.

We need Carew type signing at some point in next year.

That was it. Did we even sign another player from abroad under O'Neill? Petrov, Cuellar and Habib Beye were all british based when we signed them.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #781 on: May 01, 2021, 02:20:45 PM »
McNeil is a funny one, I watch him play and think there's a decent player in there but with how Burnley play I don't know if he stands out against a background of shit or if he's being held back by it. I don't fancy paying what they're going to want to find out it's the former.

Burnley tend to bypass midfield so it's hard for players like McNeil to show their true worth. He gave Cash a chasing at their place in the second half this season. A significant upgrade on Traore I'd suggest and four years younger.

No he's not an upgrade on Traore because he plays on the other side, he'd be signed to play on the left to allow Jack to play central so he'd be a replacement for Barkley really.

I'm sure he would be capable of playing like Traore as an inverted winger on the right. So right, left or at 10

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #782 on: May 01, 2021, 02:28:32 PM »
McNeil is a funny one, I watch him play and think there's a decent player in there but with how Burnley play I don't know if he stands out against a background of shit or if he's being held back by it. I don't fancy paying what they're going to want to find out it's the former.

Burnley tend to bypass midfield so it's hard for players like McNeil to show their true worth. He gave Cash a chasing at their place in the second half this season. A significant upgrade on Traore I'd suggest and four years younger.

No he's not an upgrade on Traore because he plays on the other side, he'd be signed to play on the left to allow Jack to play central so he'd be a replacement for Barkley really.

I'm sure he would be capable of playing like Traore as an inverted winger on the right. So right, left or at 10

I don't disagree but if we're paying £40m odd for a player I prefer him to have at least some experience at playing the main role we're looking for him to fill.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #783 on: May 01, 2021, 02:32:02 PM »
I agree Paul. I love Tammy, he'll always be a Villa hero for his role in the promotion season, but for £40m we need to be improving the first team before we move onto the squad.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #784 on: May 01, 2021, 02:34:20 PM »
I agree Paul. I love Tammy, he'll always be a Villa hero for his role in the promotion season, but for £40m we need to be improving the first team before we move onto the squad.

I was talking about McNeil this tims but it applies equally to both.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #785 on: May 01, 2021, 02:35:41 PM »

I was talking about McNeil this tims but it applies equally to both.

Ah shit, I just saw the 40m thing and assumed like a dumbass. But we agree anyway so no harm done!

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #786 on: May 01, 2021, 02:48:51 PM »

That was it. Did we even sign another player from abroad under O'Neill? Petrov, Cuellar and Habib Beye were all british based when we signed them.

How could you forget the wonderful Sally Salifou?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 03:11:47 PM by eamonn »

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #787 on: May 01, 2021, 03:37:59 PM »
It was disappointing narrow thinking from him as we signed John Carew within six months of him coming in and that sort of signing was exactly what we needed at the time, internationally known player who'd show people we wanted to improve our standing and he played his part in us moving from mid table to 6th in about 18 months.

From memory, think it was Houllier -then manager of PSG- who contacted us about Baros that set the wheels in motion on that one. O'Neill possibly thought he was just getting a big unit who could head the ball in return.

Houllier's considerable nose was put out of joint when Baros signed for Villa in 2005.  "I can't believe he would opt for a mid-table team like Aston Villa over us" was his reaction at the time. Which was an early indication of the affection he held us in.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #788 on: May 01, 2021, 05:38:46 PM »
I think it was Lyon, not PSG. But the rest is spot on.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #789 on: May 01, 2021, 05:47:32 PM »
Didn't know that, thought MON might've wanted Carew when he was at Celtic.

He actually signed Juninho when he was there and Juninho hated it so no guarentee any flair player would've worked under him in the rigid 4-4-2:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/juninho-still-questions-martin-oneills-decision-sign-him-celtic-558805

Think it would've panned out the same if we'd signed him under Gregory in 1999.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #790 on: May 01, 2021, 06:23:44 PM »
Didn't know that, thought MON might've wanted Carew when he was at Celtic.

He actually signed Juninho when he was there and Juninho hated it so no guarentee any flair player would've worked under him in the rigid 4-4-2:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/juninho-still-questions-martin-oneills-decision-sign-him-celtic-558805

Think it would've panned out the same if we'd signed him under Gregory in 1999.

Pretty sure he played 3-5-2 for most of his time at Celtic.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #791 on: May 01, 2021, 06:23:58 PM »
Leicester are reported to be closing in on a £15m deal for Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard. I'd hope we're also considering an offer as he's a quality player who can play deep, wide or down the middle. Apparently he's already turned down Liverpool as he doesn't see how he'd fit in and wants to be playing every week.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #792 on: May 01, 2021, 06:33:48 PM »
Leicester will very likely be offering CL football. Amazing what they have done since winning the league. As if winning the damn thing wasn’t stunning enough. They’ve really built well there now with a top manager too. They may well be a perennial top six side for a good while yet. Certainly at the expense of the likes of Arsenal and Spurs.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #793 on: May 01, 2021, 06:38:18 PM »
He obviously knows the manager too.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #794 on: May 01, 2021, 07:22:48 PM »
Leicester are an example of what can happen when a club is run well. They lost some of their best players from that league winning side - Kante, Mahrez, Maguire (I'm hesistant to throw his name in but they did get £80m for him). In the past we've not done well enough at replacing our best players but shows that if you're run well, you can still make progress even if you lose some of your best players along the way.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal