collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1108857 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #615 on: April 27, 2021, 11:34:42 AM »
Is FFP actually dead? I've heard lots of people say this but no confirmation.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #616 on: April 27, 2021, 11:35:36 AM »
Interesting article here that was written in February and focuses on wingers and productivity, number of dribbles, chances created etc.

Grealish is of course the most productive for .xg opportunities but there were a couple of other interesting things in the article for players we could consider. I was surprised about Adama Traore and the number of players he beats and chances he creates. Perhaps I misjudged and we should consider going for him after all. He certainly has the pace etc that would trouble a defence with Grealish on the other side.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #617 on: April 27, 2021, 11:57:44 AM »
Interesting article here that was written in February and focuses on wingers and productivity, number of dribbles, chances created etc.

Grealish is of course the most productive for .xg opportunities but there were a couple of other interesting things in the article for players we could consider. I was surprised about Adama Traore and the number of players he beats and chances he creates. Perhaps I misjudged and we should consider going for him after all. He certainly has the pace etc that would trouble a defence with Grealish on the other side.

If we were getting last year's version, it would certainly be worth it. This year's? No ta. Every time I've seen the Dogheads play he literally stands around doing nothing, before trying the odd sprint in a straight line. One goal and two assists is a crap return, and we're not short of inconsistent wide players.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #618 on: April 27, 2021, 12:07:53 PM »
In the Premier League though, there aren't very many players at all that create good opportunities and he's one of the few. Grealish is streets ahead of the rest.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #619 on: April 27, 2021, 12:18:18 PM »
With cov-id having a major impact on our finances I cannot see us spending £100 million this summer

With Wesley now coming back to fitness and the emergence of Davis as a goal scorer we don't need another forward, I would imagine that we will look to sign another midfielder and a left back as cover for Targett.

Christ, it's just this sort of thinking that has derailed our last two seasons.  We would be nuts not to buy another striker. If either of those two come good then great, that's a bonus.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #620 on: April 27, 2021, 12:30:27 PM »
Is FFP actually dead? I've heard lots of people say this but no confirmation.
There has been various stories but I have not seen anything official.
The existing criteria just wont work and it will be very difficult to come up with a formula that would work under these circumstances.
I would think they may start to look at other measurements in due course.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #621 on: April 27, 2021, 01:06:24 PM »
With cov-id having a major impact on our finances I cannot see us spending £100 million this summer

With Wesley now coming back to fitness and the emergence of Davis as a goal scorer we don't need another forward, I would imagine that we will look to sign another midfielder and a left back as cover for Targett.

Christ, it's just this sort of thinking that has derailed our last two seasons.  We would be nuts not to buy another striker. If either of those two come good then great, that's a bonus.

How has the amount of strikers we have derailed this season?

Offline Moonraker

• GM : 22.10.2022
« Reply #622 on: April 27, 2021, 01:44:07 PM »
Not really sure Davis can really be described as "emerged as a goal scorer" but really hope he can be soon.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #623 on: April 27, 2021, 02:08:37 PM »
Not really sure Davis can really be described as "emerged as a goal scorer" but really hope he can be soon.
he scored "a goal"

Offline Moonraker

• GM : 22.10.2022
« Reply #624 on: April 27, 2021, 02:16:44 PM »
Yes, well spotted, but not sure we should call off our search for a more regular goal scorer just yet.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #625 on: April 27, 2021, 02:17:05 PM »

Because we're massively off form and have been for 20 games.  Another decent striker could have freshened things up, allowed other formations, Ollie to play on the left etc or just got us some goals and points off the bench.  Not getting someone in in Jan to relieve the pressure on Ollie was a huge mistake.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #626 on: April 27, 2021, 02:20:39 PM »

Because we're massively off form and have been for 20 games.  Another decent striker could have freshened things up, allowed other formations, Ollie to play on the left etc or just got us some goals and points off the bench.  Not getting someone in in Jan to relieve the pressure on Ollie was a huge mistake.

So it didn't then but you think another striker might have made a difference. In my opinion a midfielder to carry the ball out would have been much more useful, Sanson might be that player but he needs time and we thought Barkley was that player until his injury. On that basis I think we'd be nuts to not make a quality central midfielder our priority.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #627 on: April 27, 2021, 02:24:08 PM »
It's possible to buy more than one player I believe.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #628 on: April 27, 2021, 02:29:44 PM »
Well if you think having to play the same striker for every minute of every game without any options to shake up our system or bring fresh legs off the bench hasn't had a negative impact on our season then fair enough.  I disagree. 

Of course we need midfielders.  But I still think it would be crazy to go into a new season gambling on an undercooked forward line for a third season running. 

Offline paul_e

« Reply #629 on: April 27, 2021, 03:01:52 PM »
Well if you think having to play the same striker for every minute of every game without any options to shake up our system or bring fresh legs off the bench hasn't had a negative impact on our season then fair enough.  I disagree. 

Of course we need midfielders.  But I still think it would be crazy to go into a new season gambling on an undercooked forward line for a third season running. 

We've had to play the same defence every game and we've played McGinn and Luiz in almost every game as well (other than Nakamba getting a few starts and mostly looking out of his depth). The whole squad is lacking depth but you're focused on a position where players returning from injuries and getting fit could be the answer. We play with 1 striker most of the time (I know there are people that don't like that but it's still true) so 3 is plenty, especially with Barry coming through as well. Yes Wesley needs to prove his fitness and Davis needs to show he's improving but we have a perfect opportunity to let them have a chance to do that in the next 6 games.

There's just too many unknowns right now to say we NEED to get another striker in the summer which is why I don't think it's "nuts" to consider not needing to spend that money.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal