collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1119928 times)

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #465 on: April 21, 2021, 08:09:55 AM »
Weakest part is Wing, but would like an enforcer type that can play the ball.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #466 on: April 21, 2021, 09:34:48 AM »
With a stronger midfield the wingers would be less defensive and more offensive.
CMF and cover at CB are the two key additions - followed by a LB and striker / wingers

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #467 on: April 21, 2021, 10:17:59 AM »
With a stronger midfield the wingers would be less defensive and more offensive.
CMF and cover at CB are the two key additions - followed by a LB and striker / wingers

Agreed, 19 of our 43 league goals have come from the wide players (along with 15 assists). Jack is a major part of that so we do need to increase the output of the others but getting the balance right in midfield is far more important. I actually can't work out why a central midfielder isn't on everyone's wishlist, I don't know how you can have watched a Villa game in the last 3-4 months and not seen the clear issues in there.

Bissouma would be a good option as would Berge but they're both a little more defensive than I'd really like.

Someone big and physical but more box-to-box (think Ian Taylor) is what I'd really like to see who can then share the 'up and down' work with McGinn/Sanson/Ramsey and Luiz is freed up to play the sitting in/quarterback role. They'd just be replacing Barkley but if we could combine that with replacing Nakamba with Bissouma/Berge then I'd be confident that the midfield was where it needs to be.

That would be a big chunk of money out but i think it'd give us depth and balance in an area where we really need it.

Then grab a couple of youngsters to cover CB and LB and use whatever is left to get a player similar to Watkins who can play up top or out wide, to start with they'd take Trez's squad place and then when he's fit I'd move AEG on. With Davis and Wesley I'd be happy with the amount of options that would give us in the final 3rd.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #468 on: April 21, 2021, 10:22:39 AM »
Yes, a decent central midfielder as an upgrade on everybody we currently have is an absolute necessity. The goal output from McGinn, Luiz, Ramsey and Sanson has been pathetic, and we need to add somebody capable of getting close to double figures as the likes of James Milner used to.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #469 on: April 21, 2021, 10:25:50 AM »
Yes, a decent central midfielder as an upgrade on everybody we currently have is an absolute necessity. The goal output from McGinn, Luiz, Ramsey and Sanson has been pathetic, and we need to add somebody capable of getting close to double figures as the likes of James Milner used to.

Agree, the link up play between the midfield and Ollie has been pathetic. He has done well to score as many as he has just mainly feeding of scraps.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #470 on: April 21, 2021, 10:27:51 AM »
Milot Rashica , Yves Bissouma and Tammy would be a great start of signings.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #471 on: April 21, 2021, 10:47:28 AM »

Grealish is arguably the best wide player in the division....the other three options we have are certainly average at best

I'd like to see us sign players that allow us to be tactically more flexible. Smith has changed formations quite a bit in the last two seasons but less of late. When Grealish is out, it only exposes the lack of quality supporting Watkins. My preference is certainly two 6s so Luiz + 1 to allow the full backs provide more width. That +1 shouldn't be McGinn or Nakamba, a bruiser who can play. A more flexible three then supporting Grealish, all comfortable in playing across that line.

I'd like to see us move away from traditional wingers to be honest. The three we have (apart from Grealish) offer very little unless we are dominating possession.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #472 on: April 21, 2021, 10:50:32 AM »
Creativity if Jack is out is a major issue. Clearly any team losing a player of Jack’s quality would suffer, but it completely transforms us. We really need to address that to ensure the drop off isn’t as severe.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #473 on: April 21, 2021, 11:35:39 AM »
Before Jack's absence, he became less of a threat as teams doubled up on him. We looked our best before Barkley's injury so we need a wide option who can be a mini Jack on the right, a number 10 to replace what Barkley was meant to be and for me, a strong defence midfielder...Bissouma or similar. I don't like seeing Luiz and McGinn being guaranteed starting places regardless of form, they should need to be at their best to get into the line-up.

Offline Mister E

« Reply #474 on: April 21, 2021, 03:13:53 PM »
I'd like to see us move away from traditional wingers to be honest. The three we have (apart from Grealish) offer very little unless we are dominating possession.
Likewise.
I like the look of Trossard at BHA, as a complement to Grealish in the team. I was in favour of purchasing Buendia last summer and think he'd have done a fine job for us.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #475 on: April 21, 2021, 06:30:04 PM »
Yeah, Trossard is a good footballer

Offline nigel

« Reply #476 on: April 22, 2021, 08:19:01 AM »
Football insider (yes, I know) reckons we’ll be going back for Adama from wolves 😂

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #477 on: April 22, 2021, 08:30:29 AM »
I still think he could be brilliant. Would always be hated by the boring contingent who hate skilful players and want a team of workhorses, though.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #478 on: April 22, 2021, 08:46:39 AM »
It's never easy but there are a lot of players we need to move on this summer for their sakes and ours. Ignoring the out of contract ones and Rosco, the following should and are likely to leave Heaton, Engels, Nakamba, AEG, Davis (on loan), Hourihane, Wesley (on loan) and I'd be surprised if Guilbert is back with us next season. Hope we have a number of signings lined up as it's likely to be a tough summer to do business with the Euros.

Offline Mister E

« Reply #479 on: April 22, 2021, 08:49:05 AM »
Football insider (yes, I know) reckons we’ll be going back for Adama from wolves 😂
Scored his first goal in c.40 games for Wolves the other day and his assist stats aren't currently great.
We need people who can win and retain possession before adding to our stock of wide players. Ball retention and constructing moves that hurt the opposition are the priority.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal