collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1108940 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #225 on: April 08, 2021, 11:48:43 AM »
Would prefer to work towards a strong 16/17 and then the rest of the squad made up of promising young players coming through.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #226 on: April 08, 2021, 01:20:18 PM »
I would like Tammy - but would he accept our bench from Chelsea's as i am sure Dean will stick with a lone striker

Replace midfield flair we hoped, and saw glimpses of from Barclay with Deli Ali

Wide attacker - not sure how Rashica has performed since we were looking at him (just had a look and not great is i believe the answer)

LB and LW - I still like Ryan Sessignon as he covers both positions

We need real quality 1st teamers

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #227 on: April 08, 2021, 01:23:05 PM »
According to well known source of fact Football Insider, Dean is going to be replaced by Steven Gerrard this summer.  It is sort of transfer gossip I suppose.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #228 on: April 08, 2021, 01:31:17 PM »
According to well known source of fact Football Insider, Dean is going to be replaced by Steven Gerrard this summer.  It is sort of transfer gossip I suppose.

I read that and thought , what utter bollocks!  they are not even trying

Offline Moonraker

• GM : 22.10.2022
« Reply #229 on: April 08, 2021, 01:46:56 PM »
FI also say that Lee Hendrie says Villa should "look to Brentford" to buy players from. Thanks for the tip FI..

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #230 on: April 08, 2021, 01:48:57 PM »
Bye, Dean - thanks for everything.

Online Duncan Shaw

« Reply #231 on: April 08, 2021, 02:32:10 PM »
The Meaning Evil is linking us with Toney now from Brentford - I think I said in the last "summer" window thread we should have just cut out the middle-man and bought him from Peterborough ourselves!!

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #232 on: April 08, 2021, 02:36:39 PM »
Sessegnon is still a good shout; and was last summer when mooted by several people here, several times. Played 16 times in the Bundesliga with 2 goals and 2 assists.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 02:40:00 PM by Mister E »

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #233 on: April 08, 2021, 02:42:13 PM »
The Meaning Evil is linking us with Toney now from Brentford - I think I said in the last "summer" window thread we should have just cut out the middle-man and bought him from Peterborough ourselves!!

Or buy Brentford.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #234 on: April 08, 2021, 04:08:12 PM »
Aston Villa fans have taken to Twitter in delight after The Telegraph‘s John Percy revealed that Matty Cash in is line for a new contract.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #235 on: April 08, 2021, 04:33:37 PM »
I've always liked 3-5-2, mainly because Brian Little's woefully under-rated team played it.

Couldn’t agree more - with right players it’s a good system, particularly if you have good enough players to switch systems....the insistence on 433 every week is more of an issue than having ability to play 3 at back

I also don't see how it's overly defensive - if used correctly.

Four at the back is a remnant from when two sides regularly played 4-4 meat and two veg. So the two centre halves picked up the little and large forward combo that were de rigueur back then. The full-backs picked up the wingers and so on.

But with sides usually playing just one up top today, you can make the argument that two regular centre halves in a back four is often overkill.   If you played three Eric Dyer-style plodders at the back and defensive fullbacks (or your wing backs are so shit they can't get forward and dominate) then yes, that could look defensive.

But Ajax's 3-4-3 or 3-1-4-1-1 under Van Gaal in the 90s and other interpretations since wasn't defensive.

We have two pacey centre backs who have both played as full-backs (and in Konsa's case as a midfielder) before so if any side was to trial something like that to give us more options in attack, it could be us.  If you come up against sides such as Man Citeh, Liverpool etc and try to match them in formation, more often than not they'll beat you with their superior players in a straight match up. The key is to get a man over in parts of the pitch than can hurt them or forces them to adjust.

Against all that:  A manager needs to have faith in the formation he plays. Smith seems a thoughtful, progressive enough sort. For all we know, he's trialled it in training and isn't convinced of the benefits.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #236 on: April 08, 2021, 04:46:08 PM »
Mbappe is entering final year of his contract at PSG. Time for Lange to start talking to his agent.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #237 on: April 08, 2021, 04:47:57 PM »

Or buy Brentford.
We effectively have over the last 2/3 seasons. It's our southern academy.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #238 on: April 08, 2021, 05:22:25 PM »
I've always liked 3-5-2, mainly because Brian Little's woefully under-rated team played it.

Couldn’t agree more - with right players it’s a good system, particularly if you have good enough players to switch systems....the insistence on 433 every week is more of an issue than having ability to play 3 at back

I also don't see how it's overly defensive - if used correctly.

Four at the back is a remnant from when two sides regularly played 4-4 meat and two veg. So the two centre halves picked up the little and large forward combo that were de rigueur back then. The full-backs picked up the wingers and so on.

But with sides usually playing just one up top today, you can make the argument that two regular centre halves in a back four is often overkill.   If you played three Eric Dyer-style plodders at the back and defensive fullbacks (or your wing backs are so shit they can't get forward and dominate) then yes, that could look defensive.

But Ajax's 3-4-3 or 3-1-4-1-1 under Van Gaal in the 90s and other interpretations since wasn't defensive.

We have two pacey centre backs who have both played as full-backs (and in Konsa's case as a midfielder) before so if any side was to trial something like that to give us more options in attack, it could be us.  If you come up against sides such as Man Citeh, Liverpool etc and try to match them in formation, more often than not they'll beat you with their superior players in a straight match up. The key is to get a man over in parts of the pitch than can hurt them or forces them to adjust.

Against all that:  A manager needs to have faith in the formation he plays. Smith seems a thoughtful, progressive enough sort. For all we know, he's trialled it in training and isn't convinced of the benefits.

It's reliant on dominating the ball, if you're getting 45%-ish possession then it will naturally become a back 5 and gives you the problem of leaving huge amounts of space for opposition full backs. that's the main reason it's not used more, most decent teams have full backs that will hurt you if you let them have space.

I agree that getting an extra man or creating gaps is the key but my personal preference, as I've mentioned many times, is to play a 4312 without an outright centre forward so you leave their centre backs with no one to mark. With the current squad Jack in as a 10/false 9 Watkins inside left and Traore inside right would be my choice. I'd then go with Nakamba, Luiz and McGinn and ask McGinn to get into the box late whenever he can. Defensively it becomes a 4 with Jack dropping in a touch so McGinn and Luiz can support the fullbacks and we can leave the front 2 high up the pitch.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #239 on: April 08, 2021, 05:36:08 PM »
Mbappe is entering final year of his contract at PSG. Time for Lange to start talking to his agent.

Leave it to Sawiris!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal