collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1108853 times)

Offline DrGonzo

Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #210 on: April 07, 2021, 06:23:52 PM »
I still feel that McGinn is not being used to his fullest playing so deep.  That corker he scored for Scotland shows exactly what he is capable of if he plays up and around the opposition area. We need the new Makelele, whatever his name is..?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #211 on: April 07, 2021, 06:47:08 PM »
Well, I'm delighted to have lit the blue touch-paper under you non 352-likers.

And my message to you lot is: the Left Side / Tiswas / Celtic / Fuck 'em off!!)

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #212 on: April 07, 2021, 07:51:11 PM »
Do we have to replace Engels? How many minutes has he played? If we qualify for Europe, sure. If not, we have more pressing needs.
Depends if you want to go into next season hoping that both Mings and Konda will continue to stay squeaky-clean fit; and, whether we think Hause alone will cover our potential needs. I'd like to think, also, that Smith comes to realise that having the option to play 3-5-2 is useful at times (as many other teams do in this division), for which a 3rd good CB would be necessary.
We need CB back-up; as others have said, a young CB from the Championship or another Premier-League academy (i.e. another Konsa if possible).
I hate 3-5-2 so it's a no from me. Not against the idea of signing another centre half but if we aren't in Europe, I'd be happy enough with Mings, Konsa and Hause as our options.
I know you do; why do you think I mentioned it?!
Many of the top teams have a 3-5-2 option in their armoury; but, Smith doesn't appear to fancy it.
Getting in another back-up CB is still - IMHO - a necessity in the summer.

You only play that if your centre halves are crap, ours aren't so it's a waste.

Didn't we do ok with McGrath, Ugo and Southgate? Staunton too at times. Would be good to have the option there, Tuanzebe would be a good fit I think for that role and could RB too.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #213 on: April 07, 2021, 08:06:18 PM »
We did very well with the WM formation but that doesn't mean we should play it now. And who is to say those 90s Villa sides that did so well wouldn't have done even better with four at the back and an extra creative player in there?

And a big no to Tuanzebe for me. Nobody injury prone, thanks. In any case he isn't going to leave Man United's bench to sit on ours.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #214 on: April 07, 2021, 08:10:09 PM »
We did very well with the WM formation but that doesn't mean we should play it now. And who is to say those 90s Villa sides that did so well wouldn't have done even better with four at the back and an extra creative player in there?

And a big no to Tuanzebe for me. Nobody injury prone, thanks. In any case he isn't going to leave Man United's bench to sit on ours.

Brian Little liked it. Put him on your list and you'll be thrown in the canal to see if you float.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #215 on: April 07, 2021, 08:16:20 PM »
If we play 'The WM Formation' does it mean we will play all of the anti Villa nutters that phone in on a weekly basis? Also would 'Polly' get in the side ahead of Ross Barkley?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #216 on: April 07, 2021, 09:19:00 PM »
The 3 at the back under Little was different because, at the heart of it, we had one of the greatest defenders to have ever played the game.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #217 on: April 07, 2021, 09:21:29 PM »

Brian Little liked it. Put him on your list and you'll be thrown in the canal to see if you float.

I liked Brian, but I wouldn't want him as manager now. I would want three centre backs now, either. Some things are better left in the past. Did you see the remake of "Porridge"?

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #218 on: April 07, 2021, 11:01:14 PM »
I'd be quite happy if we started next season like:

Martinez
Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett
Douglas Luiz - New DM
Traore - McGinn - Grealish
Watkins

With Neil Taylor replaced by an up-and-coming leftback, Engels likewise, and AEG replaced by a better left winger. Bit of stability, just the 4 players in, 3 players out 2 of which are out of contract.

Our second 11 would then look like this:

Heaton/Steer
Guilbert/Kessler - New DF - Hause - New LB
Sanson - Nakamba
Trez - Ramsay - New LW
Watkins/Davies

The 3 new players (aside from the DM) would be players we'd hope/expect to replace Targett, Mings, and a left winger good enough to allow Jack to play in a free role in a couple of seasons.

2022 would target moving Guilbert, Marv, and Trez on - and possibly Wesley and/or Hause. At that point I'd hope we'd mostly be buying players who would improve that 2nd eleven, but with the potential to displace a member of the first team within a season or two.

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #219 on: April 08, 2021, 12:26:39 AM »
The problem is that we tend to think in terms of a 1st XI and a 2nd XI

How about a 1st XXII ??  We should aim to have every position (bar GK)  covered by two equals - or as close to it as you can get. Deciding who should play in each position should be a matter of inches.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #220 on: April 08, 2021, 04:18:35 AM »

How about a 1st XXII ??  We should aim to have every position (bar GK)  covered by two equals - or as close to it as you can get. Deciding who should play in each position should be a matter of inches.

I'm not sure a team of Dion Dublins would work.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #221 on: April 08, 2021, 06:57:02 AM »

My preference is to strengthen the XI first as each new first teamer, in turn, strengthens the squad.  For example I think a world class winger should be a greater priority than competition for Watkins.  After that buy the best youngster.  If the squad is too full then their pathway to the team will be restricted and the best are less likely to come.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #222 on: April 08, 2021, 07:01:01 AM »

Unless we’re on the cusp of winning trophies like Man City I don’t think we’re in a position yet to be buying that much quality in depth. Also keeping that standard of player happy while not playing is another issue we are no where near rest for.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #223 on: April 08, 2021, 07:54:44 AM »
I've always liked 3-5-2, mainly because Brian Little's woefully under-rated team played it.

Couldn’t agree more - with right players it’s a good system, particularly if you have good enough players to switch systems....the insistence on 433 every week is more of an issue than having ability to play 3 at back

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #224 on: April 08, 2021, 08:34:11 AM »
Would definitely hope that part of the brief Lange has been working on is to find a player who can be first team regular but is a high quality deliverer of set pieces because we haven’t had great threat from them most of this season.  I’ve watched Ward-Prowse a lot this season and he is top, top quality with set piece delivery bit as I have said before I can’t work out if he is actually a good player in open play?

Think we will see a big turnaround in defence where it is likely Guilbert, Engels, Hause, Elmo, Taylor & probably Revan will all depart....from the u23’s you’d expect Kessler to step up as back up right back...like what I have seen of Bogarde & Chrisene but sure they’ll probably spend next season with the 23’s or out on loan so we will need some reinforcements at left back to back up Targett (competition would be even better) & centre half x2, Tuanzebe would always be high on my wish list there to be the right sided Konsa competition and hopefully a left sided centre back from the continent to give Mings a run.

Midfield if Nakamba wants to go then we will need a more physical option in there.

Front 3 obviously depends on whether Jack is still here - Tammy seems an obvious choice up top if available  - I’m sure we’ll have another summer hearing the name Rashica, I only watched him play a couple of times after restart when Bundesliga was ahead of the curve and wasn’t impressed but that was a time when nobody really impressed.  Would definitely let El Ghazi go & if we could get a replacement Trez too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal