collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1122580 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2021, 09:03:31 AM »
Isn't Taylor out of contract anyway?

Mings and Hause can play there if required. The young lads coming through might be worth a look too.

Engels is fine as a back up in the centre.

Guilbert will be back in the summer as back up to Cash.

We've been linked with midfielders such as Berge. And forwards like Abraham and King. Those are the areas of the pitch that we could do with some cover in.

I'm hoping we get to see more of Davis because he has lots of potential. I reckon next season could be his breakthrough but I'd still like another player with pace.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2021, 09:07:51 AM »
Do we have to replace Engels? How many minutes has he played? If we qualify for Europe, sure. If not, we have more pressing needs.
Depends if you want to go into next season hoping that both Mings and Konda will continue to stay squeaky-clean fit; and, whether we think Hause alone will cover our potential needs. I'd like to think, also, that Smith comes to realise that having the option to play 3-5-2 is useful at times (as many other teams do in this division), for which a 3rd good CB would be necessary.
We need CB back-up; as others have said, a young CB from the Championship or another Premier-League academy (i.e. another Konsa if possible).

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2021, 09:11:19 AM »
We need CB back-up; as others have said, a young CB from the Championship or another Premier-League academy (i.e. another Konsa if possible).

Yup - like Spurs did with Rodon or Everton with Godfrey. Someone who will come in, knows that they are probably behind Mings and Konsa to start with but will get chances, and with the confidence to think that they will push one of them (probably Mings) out of the side.

Much like Konsa did.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #153 on: April 07, 2021, 09:47:49 AM »
Seems to me Smith doesn't really have any regard for either Engels or Guilbert for whatever reason.  In the case of Guilbert at least it would appear to be something beyond his actual ability because he was doing ok.  Wasn't there also supposed to have been some kind of fall-out with Engels too? It's possible he's has only been on the bench because Smith has no other cover with Hause injured.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #154 on: April 07, 2021, 09:50:40 AM »
A Godfrey-type would be great, really good young defender who can play anywhere along the back.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #155 on: April 07, 2021, 09:50:50 AM »
Seems to me Smith doesn't really have any regard for either Engels or Guilbert for whatever reason.  In the case of Guilbert at least it would appear to be something beyond his actual ability because he was doing ok.  Wasn't there also supposed to have been some kind of fall-out with Engels too? It's possible he's has only been on the bench because Smith has no other cover with Hause injured.

Yep Engels was rumoured to have had a row with Smith about his training methods I seem to recall. He was then frozen out, but when given a chance, came in and did *that* against Spurs, at which point Dean probably thought "bollocks to you".

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2021, 09:53:50 AM »
there's no point in keeping Engels if Smith has an issue with him. We need someone who generate proper competition for Mings and Konsa to keep pushing them. And, if Engles has hardly played for a year, he probably won't be ready when required.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2021, 10:06:32 AM »
Do we have to replace Engels? How many minutes has he played? If we qualify for Europe, sure. If not, we have more pressing needs.
Depends if you want to go into next season hoping that both Mings and Konda will continue to stay squeaky-clean fit; and, whether we think Hause alone will cover our potential needs. I'd like to think, also, that Smith comes to realise that having the option to play 3-5-2 is useful at times (as many other teams do in this division), for which a 3rd good CB would be necessary.

I hate 3-5-2 so it's a no from me. Not against the idea of signing another centre half but if we aren't in Europe, I'd be happy enough with Mings, Konsa and Hause as our options.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #158 on: April 07, 2021, 10:17:24 AM »
I really like Engels. Imagine if that header had gone in at Wembley and we had ground-out Extra Time to win on pens...he'd be a hero now.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #159 on: April 07, 2021, 10:23:42 AM »
Think there was some row Engels had with Smith after the home defeat to Southampton where Shane Long tore him a new one.

Hause despite his limitations has done well for us when called upon this season. But it's an area we need to strengthen over the summer.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #160 on: April 07, 2021, 10:23:58 AM »
I liked him too, don't think Smith does though.

Offline Daley’s dreads

« Reply #161 on: April 07, 2021, 10:31:56 AM »
I’ve seen oil tankers turn quicker than Engels - think he will be off. Not sure how much we will get for him now though. Definitely a young, versatile defender to come in for me. Aina maybe at full back. Can play both sides.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2021, 11:13:29 AM »
We need to be spending BIG in the summer transfer window in my opinion, if we are serious about progressing into a top six side.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 11:15:22 AM by in exile »

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2021, 11:40:52 AM »
there's no point in keeping Engels if Smith has an issue with him. We need someone who generate proper competition for Mings and Konsa to keep pushing them.

Good luck with that.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2021, 11:57:58 AM »
Rather than competition for Mings and Konsa, I think what we need to have is competent replacements should they need to miss any games. Hause didn't cost much and looked good when he came in for Mings but spends a lot of time on the injured list. We could do with a right footed equivalent who doesn't have an injury track record and would be comfortable playing on the left as well as the right.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal