collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by chrisw1
[Today at 12:59:18 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1108987 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2021, 11:42:54 AM »
All successful teams have a decent midfield platform either 1 or 2 defensively capable.
Liverpoo, Fabinho, Chelsea had Makelele, Leicester had Kante and now have Tielemans and Ndidi, the list goes on.
We have Nakamba who most agree has limitations, Luiz is not a natural 6 and how any one could describe Sanson or SJM as DM material. We can keep playing them there but it will limit our capabilities elsewhere. We have seen it this season, we tighten up defense by asking our attacking players to tuck in and sit deeper and then have problems creating chances.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2021, 11:44:49 AM »
All successful teams have a decent midfield platform either 1 or 2 defensively capable.
Liverpoo, Fabinho, Chelsea had Makelele, Leicester had Kante and now have Tielemans and Ndidi, the list goes on.
We have Nakamba who most agree has limitations, Luiz is not a natural 6 and how any one could describe Sanson or SJM as DM material. We can keep playing them there but it will limit our capabilities elsewhere. We have seen it this season, we tighten up defense by asking our attacking players to tuck in and sit deeper and then have problems creating chances.

This.
Spot on!

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #137 on: April 06, 2021, 11:57:35 AM »
It's quite nice having a transfer window coming up, and seeing names mentioned followed by a genuine discussion about whether they would improve what we already have in the first 11.

It feels like a long time since we've had that.  I've gotten so used to seeing the prospective players mentioned being so much better than what we already have, it feels strange to acknowledge we actually have some genuine quality in our side now!

For me, I think we need a solid CM and a wide forward, both of whom capable of coming straight into the side, then it's about competition at full-back and some better attacking options from the bench.

I'd like Ward-Prowse and Hudson-Odoi for the first two - both would cost a fortune, but would definitely improve us.

I really like ward-prowse but he's not what we need. Our biggest problem in midfield is that we've got no one who can bully the opposition, Barkley did it a bit when he came in and made us tick but since he got injured he's not done it and we've seen our ability to dominate midfield slowly disappear. They don't have to be a defensive midfielder, just someone who's up for the physicality of the game, almost every team in the league has someone like it and they look a matchwinner when they play us (in the last 10 games Soucek, Ndombele, Bissouma and Loftus-Cheek have all done it).

Swap Loftus Cheek for Hojberg of Spurs and I agree. I thought Loftus Cheek utterly disappeared from the game second half after causing issues all 1st half.

Indeed, I forgot about Hojbjerg. I included RLC simply because what he was doing in the first half was exactly the same thing as the others did but we eventually countered it by bringing Davis on and he bullied them back and it completely swung the game. I don't think a forward will always be the answer though so I'd like us to pick up a midfielder to do it.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2021, 06:16:21 PM »

This.
Spot on!

Declan Rice it is then!

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2021, 06:36:54 PM »

This.
Spot on!

Declan Rice it is then!
It'd be nice if Rice fancied a step down

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2021, 10:49:36 PM »
I actually think this is one of the simpler transfer windows I can recall us going into.  Defensively we are fine right across the back four and goalkeeper with some depth.

Assuming we can keep Luiz we are well stocked in DM which is the other area I've seen touted on here - i'm fine with Luiz, Nakamba, Sansom and Ramsey battling for 1 spot. Obviously then we have Jack and SJM.

Whatever money we have available needs to be spent on 3 high end players - a winger, a centre forward and an attacking, ball carrying, inventive midfielder who can also be dangerous at set pieces (this is the key signing). Throw every penny at those signings.

We think we can trim the squad and maybe raise 30 mill - Hourihane, AEG, Trez, Elmo, Davis etc and maybe promote one or two from the u23's. 
fine except we don’t have a DM, only Nakamba comes close. Huge difference between playing DM and being a DM,

Seems Doug is a new online boo boy for some reason. Yes he hasn't been in great form for a few months now but it's wrong to say he's been rubbish in every single game in that period.

Surely given we have a top 5 defence the DM should get a huge amount of credit for that and Doug has played 90% of the games just like Kante and Henderson get credit when their respective teams post top 5 defensive statistics.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2021, 10:52:57 PM »
He's also really young. He is still developing. He's already better than, say, Delph at the same age and he was excellent for us, until he turned out to be a twat.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #142 on: April 06, 2021, 11:11:34 PM »
That Bellingham looks decent, imagine if we signed him after the Blose retired his shirt. Chortle.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #143 on: April 06, 2021, 11:11:52 PM »
I’ve no concerns about Douglas Luis whatsoever. He’s 100% a starter next season for me. I actually think this dip in form could be a blessing if it throws off Citeh.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2021, 11:22:09 PM »
I’ve no concerns about Douglas Luis whatsoever. He’s 100% a starter next season for me. I actually think this dip in form could be a blessing if it throws off Citeh.

Yup.

Offline john2710

« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2021, 12:11:13 AM »
We'll need a backup left back & centre-half to replace Taylor & Engels. Maybe younger players from the Championship or Europe.

Kesler will step up to cover right back, of the U23's he's the one who looks physically ready. Guilbert will go back to France.

A big solid defensive midfielder - Sander Berg from Shef Utd. Probably to replace Nakamba.

A creative midfielder to replace Barkley, with Ramsey as backup.

A wide player to upgrade on El Ghazi & / or Trez.

A forward who can play across the front line or maybe see how Wesley is. Davies to go out on loan.

That's 6 new players, 2 of them starters. That's going to cost upwards of £120m. Starters like Luiz & McGinn will be under pressure to stay in the team.

Some of the U23's to go on loan.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2021, 12:16:30 AM »
Do we have to replace Engels? How many minutes has he played? If we qualify for Europe, sure. If not, we have more pressing needs.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2021, 12:42:53 AM »
Defensively we are fine right across the back four and goalkeeper with some depth.

Can't agree with this bit.  Our back up fullbacks are Elmo and Taylor, neither of whom are at the required level.  Our back up CBs are Hause who is solid but not great on the ball, and Engels, who looked dreadful in his last few appearances, hasn't played for ages and appears to be on his way out.  A couple of injuries and our solid defence would be rather ropey I think.

Offline Zia of Rivia

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2021, 03:34:46 AM »
Defensively we are fine right across the back four and goalkeeper with some depth.

Can't agree with this bit.  Our back up fullbacks are Elmo and Taylor, neither of whom are at the required level.  Our back up CBs are Hause who is solid but not great on the ball, and Engels, who looked dreadful in his last few appearances, hasn't played for ages and appears to be on his way out.  A couple of injuries and our solid defence would be rather ropey I think.

Agree with this. Our back up fullbacks aren't very good. Hause has done well when called upon, but maybe injury prone. I don't think we should give up on Engels just yet.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2021, 08:39:43 AM »
There’s no way Engels is ever getting a look in under Smith again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal