collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1109129 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2021, 09:16:15 PM »
Sessegnon is a good shout.

Dunk, Egan, O'Connell aren't top 6 quality.

Tarkowski would be good but I don't think he's any better than Konsa and would certainly want to be starting games so I'm not sure.

Zouma, for me, looks too clumsy, at a club like Chelsea he gets away with it to an extent but I suspect he'd give away loads of free kicks playing for a team like us.

Ake is ok but plays left side and we have Mings and Hause there which is fine.

Laporte would be a fantastic signing but I suspect if he leaves it's to another CL club.

I think I'd prefer us to be looking at the U21 sides in the current euros (when the knock out rounds resume next month), I don't have any names to mention but in defence I don't think we need to be looking for players to start games immediately (3rd best defence in league remember) so I'd rather go for players that we can afford to let settle in.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2021, 09:20:40 PM »
Saiss would be decent imo. Always looks rock solid for Wolves from what I see of them (o.k perhaps not tonight!) and he's played all of CB in back 3, LB and defensive midfielder in premier league so would be good utility player to have around and give a bit more flexibility to go 3 atb on occasions.

One year left on his deal there and they don't seem that bothered about giving him new deal given he's 31 but feels the sort who'd do a decent job filling in here and there as we're probably due loads of injuries at the back next season given we've got off relatively lightly in that area this year.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2021, 09:26:33 PM »
What's Benni McCarthy up to these days?

Offline nigel

« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2021, 09:55:55 PM »
One for the future. Just read we’re interested in a 16 year old forward Ajani Burchall from Bournemouth.
He rejected a scholarship to stay there

Online paul_e

« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2021, 10:51:52 PM »
One for the future. Just read we’re interested in a 16 year old forward Ajani Burchall from Bournemouth.

He looks very good, would fit in well with the U23s

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2021, 12:03:50 AM »
I actually think this is one of the simpler transfer windows I can recall us going into.  Defensively we are fine right across the back four and goalkeeper with some depth.

Assuming we can keep Luiz we are well stocked in DM which is the other area I've seen touted on here - i'm fine with Luiz, Nakamba, Sansom and Ramsey battling for 1 spot. Obviously then we have Jack and SJM.

Whatever money we have available needs to be spent on 3 high end players - a winger, a centre forward and an attacking, ball carrying, inventive midfielder who can also be dangerous at set pieces (this is the key signing). Throw every penny at those signings.

We think we can trim the squad and maybe raise 30 mill - Hourihane, AEG, Trez, Elmo, Davis etc and maybe promote one or two from the u23's. 

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2021, 07:46:54 AM »
Good shout, would be a handy player to have around the U23s.

Offline steamer

« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2021, 09:25:31 AM »
I actually think this is one of the simpler transfer windows I can recall us going into.  Defensively we are fine right across the back four and goalkeeper with some depth.

Assuming we can keep Luiz we are well stocked in DM which is the other area I've seen touted on here - i'm fine with Luiz, Nakamba, Sansom and Ramsey battling for 1 spot. Obviously then we have Jack and SJM.

Whatever money we have available needs to be spent on 3 high end players - a winger, a centre forward and an attacking, ball carrying, inventive midfielder who can also be dangerous at set pieces (this is the key signing). Throw every penny at those signings.

We think we can trim the squad and maybe raise 30 mill - Hourihane, AEG, Trez, Elmo, Davis etc and maybe promote one or two from the u23's. 
I agree.
options in driving midfielder , forward to compliment /stand in for Ollie and a winger
Youngster's to act as cover for backline

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2021, 09:45:59 AM »

fine except we don’t have a DM, only Nakamba comes close. Huge difference between playing DM and being a DM,

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2021, 10:06:26 AM »
It's quite nice having a transfer window coming up, and seeing names mentioned followed by a genuine discussion about whether they would improve what we already have in the first 11.

It feels like a long time since we've had that.  I've gotten so used to seeing the prospective players mentioned being so much better than what we already have, it feels strange to acknowledge we actually have some genuine quality in our side now!

For me, I think we need a solid CM and a wide forward, both of whom capable of coming straight into the side, then it's about competition at full-back and some better attacking options from the bench.

I'd like Ward-Prowse and Hudson-Odoi for the first two - both would cost a fortune, but would definitely improve us.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2021, 10:27:13 AM »

fine except we don’t have a DM, only Nakamba comes close. Huge difference between playing DM and being a DM,

Nakamba will be off I suspect. He isn't good enough with the ball really. We need an upgrade in that LCM position.

Online paul_e

« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2021, 10:51:24 AM »
It's quite nice having a transfer window coming up, and seeing names mentioned followed by a genuine discussion about whether they would improve what we already have in the first 11.

It feels like a long time since we've had that.  I've gotten so used to seeing the prospective players mentioned being so much better than what we already have, it feels strange to acknowledge we actually have some genuine quality in our side now!

For me, I think we need a solid CM and a wide forward, both of whom capable of coming straight into the side, then it's about competition at full-back and some better attacking options from the bench.

I'd like Ward-Prowse and Hudson-Odoi for the first two - both would cost a fortune, but would definitely improve us.

I really like ward-prowse but he's not what we need. Our biggest problem in midfield is that we've got no one who can bully the opposition, Barkley did it a bit when he came in and made us tick but since he got injured he's not done it and we've seen our ability to dominate midfield slowly disappear. They don't have to be a defensive midfielder, just someone who's up for the physicality of the game, almost every team in the league has someone like it and they look a matchwinner when they play us (in the last 10 games Soucek, Ndombele, Bissouma and Loftus-Cheek have all done it).

Online Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2021, 11:26:57 AM »
Agree with Smithy and paul_e about James Ward-Prowse.

When he first starting getting recognition, I didn't understand what the fuss was about, but I've watched his contribution in games more closely since and he looks really good.

Very mobile, works hard and (critically) intelligently in terms of recognising a threat or an opportunity. Clearly he has quality in terms of passing and set pieces and he is disciplined enough to do a job for the team - reference the last game against us that we were lucky to win.

He was used to counter Grealish and did well in that role, recognising the quality that Jack has.

He's 26 and has played over 260 PL games, so is low risk compared to players in other leagues. He also has his best years ahead of him.

As their Captain and someone who has been at the club since he was 8, he will be expensive, but if we are to progress we need to add players that are more 'proven' than 'potential'. UTV

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2021, 11:27:40 AM »

I really like ward-prowse but he's not what we need. Our biggest problem in midfield is that we've got no one who can bully the opposition, Barkley did it a bit when he came in and made us tick but since he got injured he's not done it and we've seen our ability to dominate midfield slowly disappear. They don't have to be a defensive midfielder, just someone who's up for the physicality of the game, almost every team in the league has someone like it and they look a matchwinner when they play us (in the last 10 games Soucek, Ndombele, Bissouma and Loftus-Cheek have all done it).

Swap Loftus Cheek for Hojberg of Spurs and I agree. I thought Loftus Cheek utterly disappeared from the game second half after causing issues all 1st half.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2021, 11:36:00 AM »
If Engles is away, Kristoffer Ajer at Celtic has been advised by the Norwegian national manager to move to further his career.

Has been one of their better players in a poor season.

A big unit at 6ft 6 but decent on the ball and still only 22. Can play centre back or defensive midfield.

The Scottish League isn't much cop admittedly, but Van Dyke and Dembele made the transition to a better standard with relative ease. He'll have good international experience as well from his time with Norway and in the CL/ Europa League with Celtic.

I'd see a deal like that as more likely than signing Tarkowski, Dunk (who looks like a plodder to me) or anyone else who has regularly featured for PL sides and will expect a starting place and wages to match from the off.

Good to have a Scandi centre half back n'all.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal