collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1109197 times)

Offline JuanMartinez

Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2021, 12:24:21 AM »
Like I said, Chelsea are small fry, see how Everton and Fulham got on in North America having Donovan and Dempsey.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2021, 12:26:23 AM »
I'll be surprised if we spend less than £100 million. We are making great strides all the time and nothing about our board makes me think they'll say "mid table! That'll do!".
I doubt we’d get Abraham for less than $35m. Be great if we could get him for under $30m.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2021, 12:27:17 AM »
Yes, I'd forgotten all those titles that Everton and Fulham won, silly me.

Just because you say they're small fry, doesn't make it so. The Premier League is the most popular league worldwide, people are drawn to success, and Chelsea are one of its most successful teams.

If Clint Dempsey had won multiple Premier League titles at Fulham, they'd be hugely popular in America.

Offline JuanMartinez

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2021, 12:32:30 AM »
Pulisic has won how many European titles and PL titles with Chelsea?

Like I said, Chelsea could dominate the world ( which they won’t ) and they still wouldn’t scrape the surface of American viewers compared to others, Club Americas in Southern California are just one.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2021, 12:33:26 AM »
I'll be surprised if we spend less than £100 million. We are making great strides all the time and nothing about our board makes me think they'll say "mid table! That'll do!".
I doubt we’d get Abraham for less than $35m. Be great if we could get him for under $30m.

Part of me thinks this would be amazing and part of me thinks never go back. I dunno, can't decide. Not sure I fancy Watkins playing on the wing either, though he is definitely talented enough to do so.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2021, 12:35:51 AM »

Just because you say they're small fry, doesn't make it so. The Premier League is the most popular league worldwide, people are drawn to success, and Chelsea are one of its most successful teams.

If Clint Dempsey had won multiple Premier League titles at Fulham, they'd be hugely popular in America.

Not sure where this sits in this debate, but whilst I lived in Guatemala (America) the Premier League barely registered.  Mainly due to games kicking off around 8am but also the language/heritage. Ultimately Barca, Madrid, Athletico and the champions League were all the locals cared about. 

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2021, 12:36:00 AM »
Pulisic has won how many European titles and PL titles with Chelsea?

Like I said, Chelsea could dominate the world ( which they won’t ) and they still wouldn’t scrape the surface of American viewers compared to others, Club Americas in Southern California are just one.

I was clearly talking about how many trophies they could win. You could try just reading my posts.

I've listed the most popular clubs in America already. In any case, they're not competing with Mexican clubs for fans. They want to be better supported than Man U, Liverpool, etc, and having an American megastar would give them a good chance.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2021, 12:38:23 AM »

Not sure where this sits in this debate, but whilst I lived in Guatemala (America) the Premier League barely registered.  Mainly due to games kicking off around 8am but also the language/heritage. Ultimately Barca, Madrid, Athletico and the champions League were all the locals cared about.

Fair enough, I was using "America" to refer to the country USA, as per the common colloquial usage, as opposed to the continental landmass.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2021, 12:40:39 AM »

Fair enough, I was using "America" to refer to the country USA, as per the common colloquial usage,  as opposed to the continental landmass.

I learnt that whilst there. They hated America being considered only the USA. They clearly trained me well.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2021, 12:43:38 AM »
It's a fair point. I was talking about a player from USA but, still, I have long thought that the demonym "American" lacked precision but there isn't really an alternative for describing someone from that nation. USA-ian?

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2021, 12:48:40 AM »
It's a fair point. I was talking about a player from USA but, still, I have long thought that the demonym "American" lacked precision but there isn't really an alternative for describing someone from that nation. USA-ian?

Check with a Canadian but North America(n) was their preference.

Regardless I think Pulisic would be an ideal signing. Chelsea must need to jettison some players to allow Tuchel to sign the players he want so there must be players we can pick up (barkley’s value now being eff all).

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2021, 12:51:17 AM »
Regardless, I think we've no chance of signing Pulisic. Sadly. He's class.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2021, 12:57:27 AM »
Regardless, I think we've no chance of signing Pulisic. Sadly. He's class.

sadly I agree.  He played for my home town as a kid, brackley, so he he is from the midlands (when not american) but that’s not relevant to his career ambitions.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2021, 12:59:31 AM »
I'm more interested in your overseas exploits now, sorry. 🙂

What took you to Guatemala? Is it nice? Struggling to think of too many places I know less about.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2021, 01:07:54 AM »
It’s amazing.  Me and a mate were cycling through Central America and a combination of my bike being fooked, a volcano and the World Cup about to start meant we ended up in the historical capital of Antigua....  I stayed two years.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal