collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by AV84
[Today at 11:47:07 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 11:44:42 AM]

NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 11:23:45 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:18:16 AM]

Liverpool by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:08:34 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by darren woolley
[Today at 10:50:14 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:33:06 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by JD
[Today at 09:58:11 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by AV84
[Today at 11:47:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 11:44:42 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 11:35:50 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 11:30:13 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Monty
[Today at 11:28:42 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 11:23:45 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:18:16 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by LeeB
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steven Davis  (Read 7108 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Steven Davis
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2021, 06:29:11 PM »
Peter Shilton really is a bitter fucking bell end.

Davis said he'd contacted him to congratulate him on beating his record, doesn't sound bitter to me?

Wasn’t specifically about the record. Just Shilton in general. Not only could he not be a little more gracious when Maradona died but there is also this

Not really into politics but I’m looking forward to watching @UKIP unleash @Nigel_Farage

https://twitter.com/peter_shilton/status/1043204935326879744?s=21

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2021, 06:41:27 PM »
Wow. LA to Coventry... talk about a culture shock.

LA is overrated, Cov under-rated? Maybe a happy medium can be reached and a town-twinning be brokered.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2021, 08:00:31 PM »
Yep. The captain of my other side Toronto FC has been a stalwart in the US side for a very long time.

Isn't there another American with an incredible number of caps? Is it Donovan?

If I was to guess it would be one of Landon Donovan, Cobi Jones or Dempsey. They all played for a very long time as the US were starting to make their mark in the game on the world stage

I haven't heard of Cobi Jones. Has he played mainly in MLS?

I'd say he had a claim to being the best known US player in the mid to late 90s.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2021, 08:03:24 PM »
Him, John Harkes and Alexi Lalas.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2021, 08:14:48 PM »

I'd say he had a claim to being the best known US player in the mid to late 90s.

Bill Clinton was the best known US player in the 90s.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2021, 10:57:25 PM »
Peter Shilton really is a bitter fucking bell end.

Davis said he'd contacted him to congratulate him on beating his record, doesn't sound bitter to me?

Wasn’t specifically about the record. Just Shilton in general. Not only could he not be a little more gracious when Maradona died but there is also this

Not really into politics but I’m looking forward to watching @UKIP unleash @Nigel_Farage

https://twitter.com/peter_shilton/status/1043204935326879744?s=21

Oh yes, generally he's a twat, just wondered about this..

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2021, 11:16:51 PM »
Yep. The captain of my other side Toronto FC has been a stalwart in the US side for a very long time.

If I was to guess it would be one of Landon Donovan, Cobi Jones or Dempsey. They all played for a very long time as the US were starting to make their mark in the game on the world stage

Ah okay. Little early for me.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2021, 01:07:57 AM »
Really good player, Steven.

Even now, letting him go for a token fee looks like a big mistake.

Offline Zia of Rivia

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2021, 03:35:52 AM »
Yeah, I liked Davis, too. Seem to remember him scoring away at the Hawthorns, and then going to the airport to catch a flight to Houston. Me that is, not him.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2021, 12:59:22 PM »
We had Barry, Petrov, Reo-Coker and Milner is perhaps the correct answer?

Could've done with him in that period where we had likes of Herd, El-Ahmadi etc polluting the central midfield. Southampton signed him in summer 2012 and he did a good job for them.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2021, 01:21:14 PM »

Ah okay. Little early for me.

Had a decent(ish) season at Coventry after the '94 World Cup.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2021, 08:07:37 PM »

Could've done with him in that period where we had likes of Herd, El-Ahmadi etc polluting the central midfield. Southampton signed him in summer 2012 and he did a good job for them.

Aside from the first four, MON rated Sidwell and Craig Gardner higher than Davis. That was the real issue, athletes over footballers. MON wasn't one for rotating either so he didn't keep many players outside the first eleven that happy. He ended up selling the most of those former youth players for decent enough money in some cases (Luke Moore, Ridgewell, Cahill, Davis ).

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2021, 08:20:39 PM »

Aside from the first four, MON rated Sidwell and Craig Gardner higher than Davis. That was the real issue, athletes over footballers. MON wasn't one for rotating either so he didn't keep many players outside the first eleven that happy. He ended up selling the most of those former youth players for decent enough money in some cases (Luke Moore, Ridgewell, Cahill, Davis ).

Cahill £5m for someone who went on to win 2 league titles, a champions league, and make 60 England appearances doesn't seem decent money to me.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2021, 02:22:47 PM »

Cahill £5m for someone who went on to win 2 league titles, a champions league, and make 60 England appearances doesn't seem decent money to me.

When Curtis was the replacement who cost twice as much

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2021, 09:51:01 PM »

Had high hopes for Sidwell but he was a massive disappointment and actually quite similar to Davis at the time, could chip in with odd goal and ballboy assist but would go missing for long spells in game so in true MON fashion we replaced with similar player on double the money Davis would've been on.

Gardner did o.k job as utility player in 07/08. After his slow start Petrov really came into his own as that season went on so I could see sense in cashing on, selling Cahill when we did remains the major error of that period given Laursen had to retire about six months later and Mellberg left on a free.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal