collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa V Wolves - Post Match Thread  (Read 12158 times)

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Aston Villa V Wolves - Post Match Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2021, 08:02:44 PM »
It's infuriating that we can't keep going. We played some sharp stuff that kept them pinned in their own half and could've scored three times in the opening 20 minutes, but then we seemed to get scared. We get a bit of a 'safety first' mindset, that perversely ends up putting us under more pressure. We play nothing passes across midfield in the vain hope the opposition will stream out in search of the ball. The fullbacks retreat. The midfield retreats. Our counters involve just two players. We don't press as one.

In late autumn of last season, I thought a psychologist would be a good addition to our coaching staff. I think that again.

Offline colin69

Re: Villa 0 - Dingles - 0 Post Match Thread
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2021, 08:03:17 PM »
A draw was a fair result I think.
Excellent first half, but a poor second with our midfield disappearing with the Sanson injury.

If there is money available in the summer, we need to be spending big on a striker. No pissing about.
That’s no reflection on Watkins who was superb in the first half, and worked his bollocks off is the second, but the kid needs help. Davis is not that help and who knows if Wes will ever play again.

Smith should be developing Archer instead of sticking with Davis who has failed to produce time after time after time.

I actually think Davis has something but whether we ever see it is another matter. I personally don’t think Dean’s handled him correctly.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
Re: Villa 0 - Dingles -0 Post Match Tread.
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2021, 08:04:20 PM »
40 points in March. Progress.

It is but feels like a letdown with the performances since Burnley first half. We look knackered, short of ideas or any sort of flair

While we are not exactly lighting up the scoreboard, 14 cleansheets in 26 games is a hell of an accomplishment. Second in the league in that department.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2021, 08:05:18 PM »
Well 40 points in Premier League. Last time we reached this milestone was under Houlier/McAlistair. 

Jesus, what a decade of dross.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2021, 08:05:48 PM »
Worth a mention for their centre forward
 Wow. Just wow. There isn't anybody on this messageboars who would find it possible possible contribute less.

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2021, 08:06:10 PM »
40 points in March. Progress.

... first time in the Premiership since 12/13. So not too bad

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2021, 08:06:28 PM »
It's infuriating that we can't keep going. We played some sharp stuff that kept them pinned in their own half and could've scored three times in the opening 20 minutes, but then we seemed to get scared. We get a bit of a 'safety first' mindset, that perversely ends up putting us under more pressure. We play nothing passes across midfield in the vain hope the opposition will stream out in search of the ball. The fullbacks retreat. The midfield retreats. Our counters involve just two players. We don't press as one.

In late autumn of last season, I thought a psychologist would be a good addition to our coaching staff. I think that again.
Nailed it for me.Been saying we've gone risk averse for ages

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2021, 08:09:25 PM »
Pitiful second half where we rarely even troubled the half way line.

Night and day between that and first half. A bit like Neto and Traore for them. One was excellent, the other was dismal.
Agreed.

Our Traore was poor as well. I know he’s scored a few goals, but sadly his good games are one in half a dozen.

Without Jack, the midfield is a big problem at the minute. Luiz seems a shadow of the player from the first half of the season and I actually forgot McGinn was playing in the second half. Unfortunately Barkley’s main contribution was to set up the chance which Martinez kept out.

The defence was generally very solid again, Watkins did well enough but ploughed a lone furrow again, whilst it says something when Konsa has two of our best chances,

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2021, 08:10:09 PM »
Thought Sanson did a good job and Watkins worked his arse off. The back 4 and Emi did their jobs too.

Two shots on the woodwork,  but little else.  Nothing from corners or free kicks.

We got worse as the game went on and neither Barkley or Davis had any impact when they came on. Makes me wonder why we bother with either of them.

Ramsey made a few interceptions and kept it nice and simple.

Without Jack we appear to lack creativity, but fundamentally we have 2/3rds of a top team. Emi, back 4, McGinn Douglas/Marv, Jack, Ollie.

Traore needs to get better/more involved.
Sanson looks as if he's got it.

Elmo - contract expires
Barkley - taxi back south asap
Davis - hasn't got it.

El Ghazi/Trez - squad players, nothing more.

Ramsey - a work in progress

Obviously Hause, Engels, Heaton and Wes are waiting to get back into the starting line up.

So onto today's game. 4 points from them this season, with 2 clean sheets to boot - I'd have taken that in September given our relative finishing places last season, but I guess our disappointment is a reflection of how far we've come in a relatively short space of time.

Onwards and upwards!

Offline Ads

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2021, 08:10:12 PM »
Luiz, Traore and Trez all poor. Hard to carry so many players.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2021, 08:12:28 PM »
 Wow. Just wow. There isn't anybody on this messageboars who would find it possible possible contribute less.

Can't believe how bad he's been for them, sortthought of striker I'd have liked us to pick up in January (before seeing him play in prem) as he was decent in La Liga and got into double figures most seasons.

Bit of a contrast between living in Wolverhampton and San Sebastian though!

Offline steamer

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2021, 08:13:19 PM »
Agree with all the positive posts about points tally
However, reality is that since the Burnley first half we have struggled.
Pessimistic Brummie trait coming through, but should not be ignored. S.Utd  had fantastic 1st season but are going down (after beating us)
Claret and Blue glasses need polishing to not ignore problem areas.

Offline Ads

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2021, 08:13:39 PM »

Can't believe how bad he's been for them, sortthought of striker I'd have liked us to pick up in January (before seeing him play in prem) as he was decent in La Liga and got into double figures most seasons.

Bit of a contrast between living in Wolverhampton and San Sebastian though!

He doesn't occupy the centre halves at all. Doesn't make runs. He is terrible.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2021, 08:18:49 PM »
A draw was a fair result I think.
Excellent first half, but a poor second with our midfield disappearing with the Sanson injury.

If there is money available in the summer, we need to be spending big on a striker. No pissing about.
That’s no reflection on Watkins who was superb in the first half, and worked his bollocks off is the second, but the kid needs help. Davis is not that help and who knows if Wes will ever play again.

Smith should be developing Archer instead of sticking with Davis who has failed to produce time after time after time.

I actually think Davis has something but whether we ever see it is another matter. I personally don’t think Dean’s handled him correctly.
Sorry but Davis gives us nothing and never will. It’s not the managers fault, he’s just nowhere near PL quality. I dread the day Watkins gets injured

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2021, 08:21:42 PM »
We seem to have two post match threads?!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal