collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa V Wolves - Post Match Thread  (Read 12194 times)

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
Re: Aston Villa V Wolves - Post Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2021, 07:55:13 PM »
Once again we fail to take advantage of games in hand .......whilst we are still perhaps ahead of where we expected to be after last season it is so galling to see us fail to take advantage and push on by winning the games in hand .....being a Villa fan is so fucking frustrating ....and before anyone reminds me of the Liverpool score earlier this season just look how they have imploded ......not beating Sheffield, Brighton, Burnley and now Wolves indicates we are too inconsistent to warrant a Top 8 spot
Right now we are little bit meh :(

Our defence has been more than meh though. They have been superb.

Apply it to the forwards and midfield and I'm with you.

Offline BC Villain

Re: Villa 0 - Dingles - 0 Post Match Thread
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2021, 07:56:27 PM »
We were more on it first half, although Wolves were  absolutely shite tbf. 

Second half alarming though.  Never laid a glove on them and no shots on target until the 92nd minute is a huge concern.

Defensively we're a world away from last season however.  Not a chance we'd have held out 12 months ago.

We really have lost our way attacking though - and even in the last few games with Jack in the team we looked lost.  I just hope after all the positivity of the first half of the season that it doesn't end in a damp squib, but it's starting to feel that way.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Villa 0 - Dingles -0 Post Match Tread.
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2021, 07:56:37 PM »
Ok 1st half very poor 2nd half.
Positives-40 points, another clean sheet, Emi getting closer to the record (player of the season for me), performance of back line including Elmo today and of course Ollie (how unlucky is he hitting woodwork 7 times this ssn).
Areas for improvement-Traore, Luiz poor, McGinn anonymous 2nd half, substitutions ineffective (Davis tackling McGinn sums him up and as for Barkley, well at least he's got chelski to return to).
Wolves were poor, but we made them look good 2nd half.
Glad of the point in the end!

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2021, 07:56:39 PM »
I really, really want Davis to succeed, but I can't see it. His biggest contribution was tackling and clattering McGinn. I'd like to see him play 40 games in the championship to see how he gets on but tbh I can't see many teams wanting him.

Definitely need a quality striker in the summer to challenge. What's the record for hitting the woodwork in a season?

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2021, 07:56:42 PM »
I will take a point that's 40 points for us and a 14th clean sheet.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2021, 07:57:25 PM »
A draw was a fair result I think.
Excellent first half, but a poor second with our midfield disappearing with the Sanson injury.

If there is money available in the summer, we need to be spending big on a striker. No pissing about.
That’s no reflection on Watkins who was superb in the first half, and worked his bollocks off is the second, but the kid needs help. Davis is not that help and who knows if Wes will ever play again.

Smith should be developing Archer instead of sticking with Davis who has failed to produce time after time after time.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2021, 07:57:36 PM »
Pitiful second half where we rarely even troubled the half way line.

Night and day between that and first half. A bit like Neto and Traore for them. One was excellent, the other was dismal.

Offline colin69

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2021, 07:57:53 PM »
We had the first half, they had the second. Another clean sheet and didn’t think Wolves were all that. Need to take our chances but we don’t at the moment. Reaffirmed that Barkley is shite.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2021, 07:58:03 PM »
We've hit our annual poor run since the re-start, but on the bright side we've still managed to get 2 draws and 3 wins, where normally we'd be taking 1 point in 10. Progress.

Batter the Geordies and then 4 games against Spurs and Everton will decide whether we finish in a European spot.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2021, 07:58:50 PM »
Happy with how we played first half, lots of positives in how we pressed and got forward.

Not for the first time in last two months our second half levels really dipped. Barely had a shot a goal until injury time so that's not good.

0-0 against these really isn't a surprise (and they weren't great either aside from set pieces).

Still despite the disappointment of last few weeks, 40 points with still nearly third of the season still to play is still a pretty good effort from all concerned. Now we musn't go into beach mode but instead push on into 50s point range as there should be 4-5 wins left in us this season with the fixtures and that would certainly secure top half finish which is the realistic target now.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Villa 0 - Dingles -0 Post Match Tread.
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2021, 07:59:28 PM »
Eye bleedingly awful second half performance. Fortunate to get a point really. The kind of performance that would make you question nearly everything. Wolves not playing with any threat up top helped. I don't think you can really fault Smith or the subs he made but the bottom line is so many players are in horrible form now.

Martinez 7 - brilliant save, little else to do but always assured
Elmo 6 - decent first half but tired as expected in second and his passing went to pot. Did fine on Traore
Konsa 8 - our best player and unlucky not to score twice. Certainly international class
Mings 7 - went direct too often but was fine defensively
Targett 7 - up against a very tricky opponent in Neto but did well. Decent on ball
Luiz 3 - embarrassing poor. Gutless in not showing for the ball and a shadow without it. Having a poor season and getting progressively worse. Went awol for that counter attack from our corner and should have been hooked immediately
McGinn 6 - bright first half but went missing in second. Not altogether his fault but should have dropped deeper to get on the ball
Sanson 6 - tidy enough first start. Nice feet at times without making a killer pass or contribution. Hard summer in gym required
Traore 3 - a joke again. It was his cross that made the Konsa chance but that aside was a waste of space.
Trez 5 - tried hard, making a number of interceptions but out of his depth playing left wing at this level. Better without the ball than with it
Watkins 6 - very bright start and tried hard throughout. But his first touch remains a problem, England talk is very premature

Barkley 3 - a farce, minimal effort upon his introduction aside from nearly a killer Wolves assist. The end for me with him. Davis 3 - a horror show unfortunately, not at this level at all. Ramsey 6 - tidy and energetic upon his introduction.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2021, 08:01:22 PM »
Once again we fail to take advantage of games in hand .......whilst we are still perhaps ahead of where we expected to be after last season it is so galling to see us fail to take advantage and push on by winning the games in hand .....being a Villa fan is so fucking frustrating ....and before anyone reminds me of the Liverpool score earlier this season just look how they have imploded ......not beating Sheffield, Brighton, Burnley and now Wolves indicates we are too inconsistent to warrant a Top 8 spot
Right now we are little bit meh :(

Our defence has been more than meh though. They have been superb.

Apply it to the forwards and midfield and I'm with you.
Right on BB - I was being disingenuous towards the defence which has vastly improved ....having Davis as a back up striker sums up where we are so limited

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2021, 08:02:13 PM »
I’ll take that point after the second half no show. Our problem is, when we are pushed back we seem unable to find the right passes to spring the opposition, and thereby invite more pressure. It’s clear that we need another playmaker and a striker in the summer, because we cannot keep relying on Ollie.

As others have said, however, we’d all have jumped at 40 points in March at the start of the season, so huge progress.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2021, 08:02:25 PM »
Those two misses

You gota laugh

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal