collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Champions League restructuring  (Read 115949 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Champions League restructuring
« Reply #1860 on: May 13, 2022, 06:11:49 PM »
Yeah, it's a bit weird to say the least. One single table, obviously there's not enough time for them to all play each other so I guess there are seeded and unseeded teams and within that there will be 10 random fixtures each. I think they're applying the same model to the Europa League and Conference. On the plus side for Villa, this might make it easier to qualify for Europe through the league. 

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1861 on: May 13, 2022, 09:11:41 PM »
Yeah, it's a bit weird to say the least. One single table, obviously there's not enough time for them to all play each other so I guess there are seeded and unseeded teams and within that there will be 10 random fixtures each. I think they're applying the same model to the Europa League and Conference. On the plus side for Villa, this might make it easier to qualify for Europe through the league.
The Swiss System is quite common in chess, much less so in football. Basically it goes like this:

• You draw all the teams out in random order, no seeding
  • 1st plays 2nd, 3rd plays 4th, 5th plays 6th, and so on.*
  • After all the games have been played, create a league table
  • Go to step 2 (until you've completed the number of fixtures you want to)

* In this case, if 5th had already played 6th, then you'd do it as-close-as-you-can without replaying the fixtures, so maybe 5th v 7th, 6th v 8th.

For this, it should absolutely be done as one big table.  You're trying to play fixtures according to the team's ability, so it makes no sense to artificially divide them in to two groups.

Offline algy

« Reply #1862 on: May 13, 2022, 09:20:13 PM »
Speaking as someone who's run multiple table football competitions to the format - UEFA are making a pig's ear of it so far.  Without going in to the gory - and very dull - details of it, they've either made or are highly likely to make rookie errors that will likely make it easier to 'game' the system for mid-ranking sides -- too many rounds of fixtures for the number of teams competing, 3pts for a win [should be 2pts], using goal difference or goals scored to sort the league table [should be disregarded]

I'd be surprised if it doesn't come under a lot of criticism, first for being hellishly complicated, second for it producing 'odd' positions, and then for it being too easy to game the system.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 09:22:07 PM by algy »

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1863 on: May 13, 2022, 10:22:48 PM »
All they're trying to do is increase the TV revenue, which means more games and more games between the established Champions League clubs.  Using a league format introduces the first requirement and is more likely to result in the established clubs getting through, delivering on the second one.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1864 on: May 13, 2022, 11:25:19 PM »
They gradually encroaching on the Domestic game and have an eye on the prize of the Premier League Revenue. Stream.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1865 on: May 14, 2022, 07:43:15 AM »
Hardly a 'Champions' League is it? Talk about stretching the point.....

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1866 on: May 14, 2022, 10:22:33 AM »
Speaking as someone who's run multiple table football competitions to the format - UEFA are making a pig's ear of it so far.  Without going in to the gory - and very dull - details of it, they've either made or are highly likely to make rookie errors that will likely make it easier to 'game' the system for mid-ranking sides -- too many rounds of fixtures for the number of teams competing, 3pts for a win [should be 2pts], using goal difference or goals scored to sort the league table [should be disregarded]

I'd be surprised if it doesn't come under a lot of criticism, first for being hellishly complicated, second for it producing 'odd' positions, and then for it being too easy to game the system.

Sounds like a right load of old bollocks. Win a game and get punished with more difficult fixtures? Would it not also be the case that you wouldn't know who or where you were playing until a week before the match? That will be an absolute nightmare for fans. Unsurprisingly, they don't seem to have been consulted in any way.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1867 on: May 14, 2022, 10:38:55 AM »
They gradually encroaching on the Domestic game and have an eye on the prize of the Premier League Revenue. Stream.

Yup, that's the plan.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1868 on: May 14, 2022, 11:17:48 AM »

Not boring at all!  very interesting write up there. And good insights. I and many enjoy the finer details and in-depth stuff. Thanks. :)

Offline algy

« Reply #1869 on: May 14, 2022, 11:32:31 AM »

Sounds like a right load of old bollocks. Win a game and get punished with more difficult fixtures? Would it not also be the case that you wouldn't know who or where you were playing until a week before the match? That will be an absolute nightmare for fans. Unsurprisingly, they don't seem to have been consulted in any way.
I'd be less bothered about the 'harder fixtures' thing, in as much as it's no different to how you play "harder" fixtures in a cup competition as you progress through the rounds. That's why it's so critical to have the same number of rounds as a straight knockout would have, 2pts for a win, no goal difference - to keep it as close to an FA Cup type competition as possible for the sides that win their fixtures. They're unlikely to do that, though, so rather than having what's essentially a knockout cup with ranking games for all the losers, you instead end up with a bastardised league system that's inherently unfair to certain sides. As I'd mentioned, it's that unfairness that you can 'game' as a competitor because you can make sure things end up being weighted in your favour.

Yeah, you only *know* your fixture when every fixture from the previous round has been played. It's fine for chess because everyone's in the same room and can play the next match within minutes. Less so for professional football, again another imo miscalculation of how useful the system is in this context

I'd also assume they'll be planning on spreading the games over 2 days (Tuesday & Wednesday), which makes things worse. Because any games being played on Wednesday, the teams will know the results & have time to react. Imagine this: in the previous round Bayern Munich beat Real Madrid 2-0, Arsenal beat Shaktar Donetsk 1-0. You then know that a 2-0 win gets you Bayern Munich, a 1-0 win or 2-1 win gets you Arsenal, a 1-0 defeat gets you Shaktar and a 2-0 defeat gets you Real Madrid. So those 2 sides have a vested interest in making sure the game ends up with one team or the other winning by a single goal. Again - this is exactly why goal difference needs to be ignored, but you can bet your bottom dollar that UEFA will use it.

I'm proper geeky on this stuff, I know, but it's an absolute horror show. I'm a big fan of the Swiss System, but FFS it's so unsuited to association football to begin with, and even then they're opening it up to being incredibly easy to manipulate.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 11:35:05 AM by algy »

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1870 on: May 14, 2022, 11:33:04 AM »

The only fans that matter are the ones paying their BT Sport subscription.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #1871 on: May 14, 2022, 11:37:20 AM »
I suppose we will be wanting English teams to do well to assist our champions league placings push.
Maybe we won't begrudge Jack a Champions league win next season if it gives us Champions league extra place due to success of England clubs
Scenario JG Win the league this season , champions league next season with Man City  then he can come back home to play Champions league with us! No excuses not to!

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #1872 on: July 21, 2023, 05:39:12 PM »
I suppose we will be wanting English teams to do well to assist our champions league placings push.
Maybe we won't begrudge Jack a Champions league win next season if it gives us Champions league extra place due to success of England clubs
Scenario JG Win the league this season , champions league next season with Man City  then he can come back home to play Champions league with us! No excuses not to!

Indeed, the sale of Jack and everything that has followed has contributed to Villa's current situation with the manager and squad. In some ways, we can thank Grealish for leaving as much as we can for staying, given what has happened. I simply wanted to remind everyone that English clubs' performance will result in 5th place as a Champions League spot for clubs starting in season 24/25.
Villa, I believe, will make every effort to achieve that or a higher position in 2024/2025.
This season, there's a chance for top four, and it's all very exciting!

Champions League football within the next few years. It's our destiny and maybe we'll even see the return of Grealish!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1873 on: July 21, 2023, 05:40:45 PM »
No.

Offline algy

« Reply #1874 on: July 21, 2023, 05:42:48 PM »

Indeed, the sale of Jack and everything that has followed has contributed to Villa's current situation with the manager and squad. In some ways, we can thank Grealish for leaving as much as we can for staying, given what has happened. I simply wanted to remind everyone that English clubs' performance will result in 5th place as a Champions League spot for clubs starting in season 24/25.
Villa, I believe, will make every effort to achieve that or a higher position in 2024/2025.
This season, there's a chance for top four, and it's all very exciting!

Champions League football within the next few years. It's our destiny and maybe we'll even see the return of Grealish!
Suspect you're quite unique in that view, Footy mate! Reword it and add a "despite Grealish" in and you might have a few more folk agreeing ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal