collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Newcastle United Pre-Match Thread  (Read 15696 times)

Offline rougegorge

Re: Aston Villa v Newcastle United Pre Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2021, 10:17:57 AM »
Bruce won loads of games when in charge of us, so not sure about that last comment. Saying that I couldn’t give much of a monkeys about Bruce now and I don’t mean that in a horrible way, there does seem to be a familiarity about his recent comments at struggling Newcastle as to when he was struggling at villa at various times.
He nearly got us up and got in some good players that season, Snoddy and Terry, but his tactics in the play off final were all wrong and ultimately reflected his conservative management style. I thought he should of gone after that. But maybe things happen for a reason, and if we had gone up the struggle would of been painful and we would never had the memories of that 10 game run or be building what we are now in the style we’re building it.
Yes, I think some people forget that in 2017/18, we won lots of games and actually played really well on a number of occasions and the throwaway remarks about 'Bruceball' were not flying around at the time. Certainly he was nowhere near the worst managers we have had, but equally he probably wouldn't have been good enough to take us forward had we gone up.

I don't have any dislike Bruce but equally don't care about what he is doing or not doing since he left.

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2021, 10:25:59 AM »
A difficult 2-1 win, maybe with the winner coming late.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2021, 10:37:01 AM »
Reading the Newcastle forums, they really, really dislike him.

I bet there’s still some on there saying he’s steadying the ship though

Defending him with their lives like there was on here
That’s why he’ll never be out of a job there’s always people think he’s better than he actually is

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2021, 10:47:27 AM »
His comments about Bentitez are pretty disrespectful to be honest, it's not his fault he's held in high regard up there. I imagine this will be Bruce's last top flight job in all probability.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2021, 11:03:08 AM »
His comments about Bentitez are pretty disrespectful to be honest, it's not his fault he's held in high regard up there. I imagine this will be Bruce's last top flight job in all probability.

Bruce seems to have lost his marbles the last few weeks. Tried to throw his players under a bus for the performance at Sheff Utd and how it would be his way going forward. His players promptly responded with a dreadful effort at Arsenal. For an experienced manager I'm surprised at him. He is under huge pressure now.

A little unfortunately perhaps, solid season last year when they were fancied to go down. Spent a good bit of money in the summer alright but any uplift in form and they should still stay up comfortably. Covid hit some of their players badly, arguably their best two players in particular. The football is awful though, his approach has always been to throw players together in a team. Never much cohesion between midfield and attack.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2021, 11:06:01 AM »
What's the snow situation in Brum? Had a right dumpful in Stourbridge

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2021, 11:25:41 AM »
What's the snow situation in Brum? Had a right dumpful in Stourbridge
I'm not far from Stourbridge - seems to be clearing up now - can't imagine there will be too many problems if it stays sunny.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2021, 11:29:13 AM »
There was no compulsion to appoint one of the managers 'in the running', but any of the above would've 'steadied the ship', and some of them might have tried to win games. It's almost as though steadying the ship was the easiest goal our manager was tasked with.

The ship was steadied and we did win games under Bruce, so I think you’re really saying that none of the others would have been any better. Being in the running is an indication of who was available and realistic at that point in time. My point is that, with the exception of Smith who was an unknown quantity, and inexperienced at arriving into a crisis club situation, none of the others were better suited or more sustainable long term. If you think that another manager was available, realistic, and a better suited, feel free to elaborate. Again, I don’t know why you would blame Bruce for not being as good as some hypothetical manager who was apparently available, realistic, and just plain better.

Offline spk

« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2021, 11:31:18 AM »
 I feel a right beasting coming on tonight. I think Villa will be revved up to hell following Wednesday and Newcastle players will be trying to get Brucey sacked. Five - Nil the Villa.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2021, 11:31:52 AM »
The most important thing is trying to get three points, regardless of who the opposition manager is. Some people may want to carry on the obbssesion over Bruce, but that's up to them I suppose.

Get the first goal and their heads will hopefully drop and we can get a couple more. They'll make it tough for us though,. LIke I said the other day, a bit of patience might be needed.

Online john e

« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2021, 11:35:06 AM »
The most important thing is trying to get three points, regardless of who the opposition manager is. Some people may want to carry on the obbssesion over Bruce, but that's up to them I suppose.

Get the first goal and their heads will hopefully drop and we can get a couple more. They'll make it tough for us though,. LIke I said the other day, a bit of patience might be needed.

Ha ha there’s only one person on here who was obsessed with Bruce

And we all know who that is

Offline FatSam

« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2021, 11:45:57 AM »
To be fair, I didn’t start the discussion about Bruce, I just offered a different opinion to the one that prevailed in the thread. If that is obsession, so be it. I’ve consistently said I’m pleased he isn’t our manager.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2021, 11:49:41 AM »

Ha ha there’s only one person on here who was obsessed with Bruce

And we all know who that is

Yes, you.

Online john e

« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2021, 11:54:08 AM »
To be fair, I didn’t start the discussion about Bruce, I just offered a different opinion to the one that prevailed in the thread. If that is obsession, so be it. I’ve consistently said I’m pleased he isn’t our manager.

It’s not you mate he knows who he is

He won’t be too long coming on replying

Online john e

« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2021, 11:54:29 AM »
Oh and there you go already has

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal