collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: I hate Maths  (Read 25677 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: I hate Maths
« Reply #195 on: February 09, 2021, 05:23:24 PM »
So if we get the lowest ranked European spot we wouldn't even be in the Europa League, we'd be in the new one. Is that right?

Yes.
Is this just a revamped Inter Toto?

Toto you say ?

I hear the drums echoing tonight
But she hears only whispers of some quiet conversation
She's coming in, 12:30 flight
The moonlit wings reflect the stars that guide me towards salvation
I stopped an old man along the way
Hoping to find some old forgotten words or ancient melodies
He turned to me as if to say, "Hurry boy, it's waiting there for you"
It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
I bless the rains down in Africa
Gonna take some time to do the things we never had (ooh, ooh)
The wild dogs cry out in the night
As they grow restless, longing for some solitary company
I know that I must do what's right
As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti
I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become
Hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
(I bless the rain)
I bless the rains down in Africa (I bless the rain)
I bless the rains down in Africa (ah, gonna take the time)

Mods!! This ought to be worth a warning. In fact it ought to be worth a trial at the Hague.
No need for a Trial, hes guilty, Stone him.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #196 on: February 09, 2021, 05:27:38 PM »
I was hoping for a Footy-Vill transcription of the lyrics with Villa references.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #197 on: February 09, 2021, 05:29:06 PM »
I was hoping for a Footy-Vill transcription of the lyrics with Villa references.
FFFS no

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #198 on: February 09, 2021, 05:39:48 PM »
We could do with Man City beating Spurs in the League Cup Final, and someone who finishes above us winning the FA Cup, too.

Hmm reminds me of 2008 when we finished 6th but had to do the Intertoto route (and lost Bouma) due to Spurs deciding to win their only trophy in 20 years by beating Chelsea in LC final and then Portsmouth randomly won the FA cup.

Has any club in recent times finished 6th and not made europa? It's happened to us twice in in last 20 years as we also missed out in 2004 as Millwall made FA cup final that year.

Not only that, the first losing finalists to not get the spot as Arsenal were in the CL after they changed the rules, the very rule that had denied us at Millwall's expense, as you pointed out.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #199 on: February 09, 2021, 06:41:57 PM »
So if we get the lowest ranked European spot we wouldn't even be in the Europa League, we'd be in the new one. Is that right?

Yes.

Thanks for clarification. I won't quote any song lyrics but suffice to say it isn't a revamped Intertoto, more an even less celebrated Europa League. I guess when we haven't been anywhere near Europe in a decade it is a bit churlish to complain but the Europa Conference League hardly sets the pulse racing. Although it may provide some opportunities to take the road less travelled. The final is in Tirana for example!

Oh Tirana, that scans nicely onto song lyrics I’d think. Anyway I assume they’re going to get the old Cup Winners Cup trophy out rather than get a new one. They’ve been using the UEFA cup for the Europa League so as the minor tournament it would make sense with a nod to history.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #200 on: February 09, 2021, 06:44:52 PM »

Yes.

Thanks for clarification. I won't quote any song lyrics but suffice to say it isn't a revamped Intertoto, more an even less celebrated Europa League. I guess when we haven't been anywhere near Europe in a decade it is a bit churlish to complain but the Europa Conference League hardly sets the pulse racing. Although it may provide some opportunities to take the road less travelled. The final is in Tirana for example!
Basically it's 3 identical competitions. 4 qualifying rounds, then 8 groups of 4, followed by 4 more knockout rounds. If you get knocked out before the last set of knockout rounds you go in to the competition below.

So say you're in the Champions League qualifying playoff - if you lose, you drop down to the Europa League group stages. If you finish 3rd in your group in that, you drop down to the 1st knockout round of the Europa Conference.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #201 on: February 09, 2021, 06:50:22 PM »

Yes.

Basically it's 3 identical competitions. 4 qualifying rounds, then 8 groups of 4, followed by 4 more knockout rounds. If you get knocked out before the last set of knockout rounds you go in to the competition below.

So say you're in the Champions League qualifying playoff - if you lose, you drop down to the Europa League group stages. If you finish 3rd in your group in that, you drop down to the 1st knockout round of the Europa Conference.

I get really annoyed that having finished 6th you’ve got to play off to get in the group stages!! For an English or Spanish club that’s not fair as to be honest how hard is it to finish runner up in the Albanian top flight or 6th in the Premier League?

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2021, 07:00:39 PM »
FFFS no

Think he's working on a Villa version of Paradise Lost which will be followed by Paradise Regain'd covering the NSWE ownership. It's going to be like, epic and so awesome!

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2021, 07:09:53 PM »

Yes.

They're basically trying to create a European Super League to stop the rich clubs going off and creating a European Super League.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2021, 07:20:45 PM »
We could do with Man City beating Spurs in the League Cup Final, and someone who finishes above us winning the FA Cup, too.

Hmm reminds me of 2008 when we finished 6th but had to do the Intertoto route (and lost Bouma) due to Spurs deciding to win their only trophy in 20 years by beating Chelsea in LC final and then Portsmouth randomly won the FA cup.

Has any club in recent times finished 6th and not made europa? It's happened to us twice in in last 20 years as we also missed out in 2004 as Millwall made FA cup final that year.

Not only that, the first losing finalists to not get the spot as Arsenal were in the CL after they changed the rules, the very rule that had denied us at Millwall's expense, as you pointed out.

Plus every time a team is banned from Europe, their spot goes to the next team down. So we should have been in the European Cup in 1990/91 as Liverpool were still banned. But no, we got punted down into the UEFA. Then we had to lose the advantage of playing the second leg against Inter at home because those poxy no marks don't have their own ground and it clashed with an AC game.

Harrumph.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #205 on: February 11, 2021, 10:14:17 PM »

Plus every time a team is banned from Europe, their spot goes to the next team down. So we should have been in the European Cup in 1990/91 as Liverpool were still banned. But no, we got punted down into the UEFA. Then we had to lose the advantage of playing the second leg against Inter at home because those poxy no marks don't have their own ground and it clashed with an AC game.

Harrumph.

Don't get me started on that game - still the most upset I've ever been about a football match (I was a small child at the time!) but to this day no one will convince that ball wasn't over the sodding line before the cross came in!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #206 on: February 11, 2021, 11:24:12 PM »
From memory, at least two of their goals were dodgy as fuck. Possibly all three. I was also a child, and devastated. I was convinced we were going to win the cup after the first leg.

Online ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #207 on: February 12, 2021, 08:45:25 AM »

Probably just as well we didn't qualify for Europe in 2015, as it might have adversely impacted upon out League form the next season....

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #208 on: February 13, 2021, 01:31:22 AM »
Was there actually any room for things to get worse?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #209 on: February 13, 2021, 03:02:05 PM »
What's the latest mental airthmetic to finish above Liverpool out of interest?

They're on 40 points with only 14 games left so they don't look likely to get close to 70 points currently.

Alisson + Ozan + Joleon Lescott out of retirement = ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal