collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Fans Top Hate Crime List.  (Read 8070 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Aston Villa Fans Top Hate Crime List.
« on: November 24, 2020, 09:39:47 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55038972

Aston Villa fans were reported for more alleged hate crimes than any team last season, according to Home Office data.

Results seen by the Press Association under a Freedom of Information request showed Villa fans reported 13 times.

Wolves, Leeds and Tottenham fans were the subject of 10 reports each, while Chelsea fans were reported nine times.

The reports came to the UK Football Policing Unit from either the Football Association or anti-discrimination body Kick It Out.

A number of the reports could not definitively be assigned to a team, so do not feature in the club-by-club data.

Of Villa's 13 incidents, seven related to race, five related to sexual orientation and one to religion.

The 319 hate crimes reported last season were connected to 287 of the 2,663 matches in England and Wales.

The Freedom of Information request found only four reports of hate crime were made relating to matches played when the professional game resumed in June and July.

Online incidents were included in the data for the first time.

In September, Kick It Out chair Sanjay Bhandari said: "We all need to do more and we all need to take a stand against discrimination.

"Kick It Out will play its part with campaigning, education and talent programmes that diversify the face of football. But this is everyone's responsibility."

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
Re: Aston Villa Fans Top Hate Crime List.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 09:43:17 AM »
Well that Areshole kid on Twitter accounts for one of those if they are looking online for reports now.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 09:45:20 AM »
It’s an interesting dilemma, because it could mean that our fans are worse committing offences, or it could be that we are better at not putting up with it & reporting it.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 09:48:44 AM »
I'm hoping it's the latter. Either way, it's a stain on our club that i hope we can stamp out.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 09:51:05 AM »
Absolutely amfy.

The numbers aren't massive, but you could spin the statistics and make out we're 30% worse than the next club or state it was 'only' 13.

It's saddening either way.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 10:03:12 AM »
I know fans of other clubs would want to make out it makes us a set of ’ racist’ fans or whatever, but one is probably me reporting the bloke next to me for hissing like the gas chambers & chanting ‘yid’ at Spurs fans.

That was far more likely to be the only place it was reported than the only place it happened. Do we think it is more likely that there were less than 13 instances of anti-Semitic abuse at West Ham (for example because I have really seen them in action on that score) or that people there are more likely to just think it’s something you just need to let go & not make a fuss?

If statistics can be used to make you look bad like this it does make you feel like not reporting it - although of course reporting is the right thing to do.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 10:03:28 AM »
This is very depressing and a bit surprising. Can't say I've encountered much if any of this kind of thing on my travels with the Villa. If anything Villa fans are usually very quick to shut down any such crap. Let's hope it's an anomaly and when we do get back into grounds be extra vigilant. The good name of Aston Villa is depending on us.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 10:12:06 AM »
One incident is one incident too many, but 13 cases out of however many hundred thousand fans went to games over the course of the season doesn't really deserve that headline in my opinion.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 10:15:06 AM »
The numbers are so incredibly low there is huge room for sample distortion. The point is that the real numbers of actual incidents is likely to be much higher sadly and this report is extremely  unlikely to reflect the most common perpetrators.
But some will relish it as an opportunity to besmirch our name. Fuckem.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 10:25:01 AM »
I've looked at the stats, and we had zero arrests for racist incidents last season.  By comparison, Man City had 6 arrests, Cardiff 5, Stoke 3 and Burnley 2.  Without downplaying the seriousness of reported incidents, shouldn't actual arrests be deemed to be a bit more serious?  We've had two arrests for hate crimes in the last 6 years, lower than a lot of teams.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 10:41:35 AM »
The whole thing gets me down.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 03:07:55 PM »
We’ve got quite a crowd of right-wing followers.

Kind of my old crowd really, radicalised by Brexit. I avoid them where possible.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 03:09:58 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 03:33:45 PM »
It’s a saddening and disappointing stain on our club.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 03:42:32 PM »
I've looked at the stats, and we had zero arrests for racist incidents last season.  By comparison, Man City had 6 arrests, Cardiff 5, Stoke 3 and Burnley 2.  Without downplaying the seriousness of reported incidents, shouldn't actual arrests be deemed to be a bit more serious?  We've had two arrests for hate crimes in the last 6 years, lower than a lot of teams.
That’s interesting to know. I was also one of many around me who reported to the club a racist comment by an apparent repeat offender (I actually only heard the defence of it, and then to contradict himself to me directly denying he’d said it, so couldn’t myself be witness for WMP, whereas I believed someone else was going to). Important thing was club seemed v well on top of it.
The comment itself would have probably been let go in the past, I’ve not reported worse many years back as it wasn’t even clear it was possible to do so I guess, though have challenged fans before direct (much to my mates concern!).
So I’d echo that maybe we’ve lowered our reporting threshold. Thankfully. Maybe worth a written piece for a national newspaper to turn this into a positive? Maybe worth a tweet to @RWhitehead61 and our Tyrone?

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 04:00:24 PM »
Seems rather low to me overall. I'm not sure how they work out  the clubs "responsible" after reading that. Are they saying they couldn't pick out who certain people supported on say twitter or facebook because unless you have it in your profile I would say that goes for lots of people. You could maybe say they lived in Birmingham but beyond that it wouldn't be hard for say a Birmingham based ManU fan to negatively comment on a Liverpool vs Villa game. Unless i'm reading it wrong and all these cases were investigated by the police rather than just handed to the police by the FA and kick-it-out. I'd imagine the unconnected to a club incidents would be far far larger so weren't they investigated?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal