collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Brighton post-match thread  (Read 20873 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Aston Villa vs Brighton post-match thread
« Reply #270 on: November 24, 2020, 12:02:50 PM »
Several days later and there's still not a consensus which says it all. What bothers me though is that I've yet to see a ref get called over to look at the monitor and stick to their original decision. As soon as they get called over, you might as well forget it. That's what bothers me about it.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #271 on: November 24, 2020, 12:42:37 PM »
The grass was too long for our game. The ball was moving around more slowly than normal.
All joking aside. I did comment while watching the game that the pitch didn't look it's usual immaculate best on Saturday. Just an observation.

I was being serious!... Well just a little bit. I'm not blaming it as its the same for both sides but I did think it looked slow.
Oh ok sorry 😁 the pitch didn't look like a great playing surface on Saturday which is not something you would normally say about Villa Park. By the way I'm in no way saying that the pitch had any bearing on the result. It's just an observation.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #272 on: November 24, 2020, 12:44:13 PM »
I would have n problem with refs re-looking at every penalty decision.  I the context of the importance on the outcome of a game, a ref spending less time than Ben Foster does to take a goal kick double checking he is happy with his call would be fine by me.

Online The Edge

« Reply #273 on: November 24, 2020, 12:45:49 PM »
Several days later and there's still not a consensus which says it all. What bothers me though is that I've yet to see a ref get called over to look at the monitor and stick to their original decision. As soon as they get called over, you might as well forget it. That's what bothers me about it.
That and watching such incidents in slow motion which distorts everything. The ref should look at the monitor in full speed and if he did that I'm convinced he would have stuck with his original decision. If he's got the bollocks.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:47:52 PM by The Edge »

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #274 on: November 24, 2020, 01:20:09 PM »
I would have n problem with refs re-looking at every penalty decision.  I the context of the importance on the outcome of a game, a ref spending less time than Ben Foster does to take a goal kick double checking he is happy with his call would be fine by me.

At least then the ref wouldn't have a bias before reviewing them. Being summoned over is like being told 'you made the wrong decision, here's your get out of jail card'.

Online The Edge

« Reply #275 on: November 24, 2020, 01:25:46 PM »

At least then the ref wouldn't have a bias before reviewing them. Being summoned over is like being told 'you made the wrong decision, here's your get out of jail card'.
That's a very good way of putting it. But when are refs going to have the balls to say "I've looked at it and I think I was right"

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #276 on: November 24, 2020, 03:30:00 PM »
So is the only point to the remote VAR team now to do their ridiculous offside decisions to the nearest electron?  If all they're going to do is refer the ref to the monitor in the ground, why doesn't the ref just check every penalty appeal anyway then?  Got to be quicker than having VAR look at it for a couple of minutes, then just refer it back to the ref.

Offline pelty

« Reply #277 on: November 24, 2020, 07:00:14 PM »
I think the number of Villa fans on here that did not think it was a pen is a clue as to why it was not given.
Its not as clear cut as the Fernandez foul on Konsa for example that did arrive at a penalty decision (incredbly) and every one of us agreed it was an abomination of a decision..
And this was more of a penalty because the contact was instigated by March.

Wrong! It was given and then reversed. The indecision here only suggests that it was not a "clear and obvious error" which means the penalty should have stood.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #278 on: November 24, 2020, 07:05:59 PM »
I think the number of Villa fans on here that did not think it was a pen is a clue as to why it was not given.
Its not as clear cut as the Fernandez foul on Konsa for example that did arrive at a penalty decision (incredbly) and every one of us agreed it was an abomination of a decision..

Wrong! It was given and then reversed. The indecision here only suggests that it was not a "clear and obvious error" which means the penalty should have stood.
i have said before the clear and obvious error meant it should have stood, not sure where I am wrong.

Offline pelty

« Reply #279 on: November 24, 2020, 07:31:43 PM »

i have said before the clear and obvious error meant it should have stood, not sure where I am wrong.

Apologies then, CL. I did not see the earlier post. I read your post as indicating that we can understand why it is reversed, but I can not understand it simply because it does not meet the "clear and obvious" standard in any way. If the penalty was not given in the first place and we were debating if it is a foul at all, then I agree that people can see it differently, but that is not what the issue is in this instance. I am not speaking against you here, CL, just the pathetic state of refereeing these days.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #280 on: November 24, 2020, 07:59:12 PM »

Apologies then, CL. I did not see the earlier post. I read your post as indicating that we can understand why it is reversed, but I can not understand it simply because it does not meet the "clear and obvious" standard in any way. If the penalty was not given in the first place and we were debating if it is a foul at all, then I agree that people can see it differently, but that is not what the issue is in this instance. I am not speaking against you here, CL, just the pathetic state of refereeing these days.
no worries mate

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #281 on: November 28, 2020, 01:15:27 AM »
I actually thought Trez had his best 'football' first half since he joined the club. Then he had me howling with incredulity when he missed the rebound chance!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal