collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Brighton post-match thread  (Read 20865 times)

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Aston Villa vs Brighton post-match thread
« Reply #225 on: November 22, 2020, 06:05:16 PM »
You're not wrong, TV.

The total xG in the match for Aston Villa was 2.18. The total xG in the match for Brighton and Hove Albion was 1.36

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #226 on: November 22, 2020, 06:53:03 PM »
I didn't realise how crap Brighton are but having just looked at the table  blimey we made them look good yesterday. They had 6 points from 8.

I don’t think the table actually did them justice. I’m not a massive fan of stats like XG but even a mate of mine said it’s amazing how many chances they miss. That said you have to take them and they haven’t most of the season. If you look at the same stat for our game yesterday I’m sure it will show we “should” have won. Should doesn’t ever get you points.

As I said on another thread that isn't true, prior to the game yesterday Brightons goals and xG were almost exactly the same, after yesterday they've probably flipped that to have scored more than expected. There position isn't massively out of what would be expected, it looks worse because the league this year is really weird with a handful of teams cut adrift and then nothing much covering the rest of the teams. Brighton will finish about 14-17 because it's where they belong.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #227 on: November 23, 2020, 07:57:17 AM »
Haven’t see it, so can’t comment on the match. Couple of things though- Deano in his pre- match said a couple of times they were wary of Brighton, cos their results and league standing didn’t reflect their stats. Also, 3 international matches in a week was always going to take it’s toll.
Like the Leeds match, let’s forget it and move on. I got a bit of stick a few weeks back for saying something like ‘if you’re going down the O’Neill route of picking the same team every week...’ Well it looks like we are doing that. Maybe he could’ve made a few changes for Brighton??

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #228 on: November 23, 2020, 09:12:59 AM »
Haven’t see it, so can’t comment on the match. Couple of things though- Deano in his pre- match said a couple of times they were wary of Brighton, cos their results and league standing didn’t reflect their stats. Also, 3 international matches in a week was always going to take it’s toll.
Like the Leeds match, let’s forget it and move on. I got a bit of stick a few weeks back for saying something like ‘if you’re going down the O’Neill route of picking the same team every week...’ Well it looks like we are doing that. Maybe he could’ve made a few changes for Brighton??

The trouble is, the first 11 pretty much picks itself.  Of the bench of Steer, Elmo, El Ghazi, Traore, Taylor, Hourihane and Nakamba, who could we have started instead?  Hourihane for Barkley maybe, but then Ross wasn't away on international duty so should have been fresh as a daisy.  Nakamba for Luiz maybe, but that's a serious stepdown in quality the way Luiz had been playing.  I don't know where Davis was, stubbed his toe again?

I actually thought that El Ghazi looked quite enterprising when he came on, he was certainly better than Traore who was awful, so he could maybe get a run out instead of Trez next match.  However hard that Trez works, his quality is dreadful, and one assist and no goals from eight games is a pretty crap return for one of our three forwards.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #229 on: November 23, 2020, 09:29:35 AM »
It is the MON dilemma, do you weaken the team by playing the second string or risk burn out and injuries by sticking with the best X1.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #230 on: November 23, 2020, 09:30:05 AM »
In defence of Trez, he is doing a lot more defensive work this season and the first goal at Arsenal, while not technically his, was certainly "forced in" by him. His knack for ghosting in at the back post is consistent.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #231 on: November 23, 2020, 09:31:31 AM »
He needs to freshen it up a bit against Spam.  Assuming Barkley doesn't make, try Conor in there and as much malligned as he is maybe Traore for Trez.  I still don't think we have seen enough of him to make a proper assessment.

Online Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #232 on: November 23, 2020, 10:27:10 AM »
My big disappointment about Saturday is how wasteful in front of goal we were.
Defensive errors can get highlighted but we still created enough chances to be out of sight by half time.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #233 on: November 23, 2020, 10:36:38 AM »

The trouble is, the first 11 pretty much picks itself.  Of the bench of Steer, Elmo, El Ghazi, Traore, Taylor, Hourihane and Nakamba, who could we have started instead?  Hourihane for Barkley maybe, but then Ross wasn't away on international duty so should have been fresh as a daisy.  Nakamba for Luiz maybe, but that's a serious stepdown in quality the way Luiz had been playing.  I don't know where Davis was, stubbed his toe again?

I actually thought that El Ghazi looked quite enterprising when he came on, he was certainly better than Traore who was awful, so he could maybe get a run out instead of Trez next match.  However hard that Trez works, his quality is dreadful, and one assist and no goals from eight games is a pretty crap return for one of our three forwards.

I agree with all of that Risso

We have a decent quality starting 11

any changes to that inevitably weakens the team as our squad is not strong enough at the moment
Smith knows this that is why he's so against the 5 sub rule

we are competing in the top half of the prem with a paper thin squad in quality terms
the days of ' he can do a job' or 'he's never let us down' or ' he's done enough to deserve the shirt' are long gone we are in with the big boys now

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #234 on: November 23, 2020, 10:56:23 AM »
On reflection, there are some positives from Saturday.
Yes, we were wasteful in front of goal, but the team kept pushing, and trying right until the very last second.
How many times over the years have we seen us losing in a game and allowing it to peter out without a fight? At least that doesn’t happen now.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #235 on: November 23, 2020, 11:04:09 AM »
I'm still just really pissed off with the utter Aston Villa-ness of it all.  If we'd have performed anything like how we did against Arsenal, we'd have buried them, but instead it was a defensive display that wouldn't have looked out of place last year.

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #237 on: November 23, 2020, 12:53:39 PM »
What a strange write up that is, portraying March as though he had made a measured thoughout great tackle and won Brighton the game. Were the reality is March was absolutely shitting it as soon as he made the tackle because he knew that he had fouled him.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #238 on: November 23, 2020, 01:32:19 PM »
I doubt there's a club in the land who you'd say wouldn't be weakened if you replaced one of their 'best 11' with another player who isn't in the best 11 ... surely that's the point?

I dunno, to me it seemed a bit ... odd ... starting with a number of players who'd already been quite active on international duty.  Personally, I'd rather some of them have been rested for the Brighton game.  Maybe leave Jack & Doug out for the Brighton match, and SJM & Mings out for the next game ... something like that.

Really think that if we play our cards right this season, we could end up with an inflated league position.  Just because there's a compressed league season, which'll affect teams in Europe more than teams who aren't.  I think if we can keep the team pressing heavily with high tempo football, we'll rip a few teams apart (see Liverpool, Arsenal) - and we'll do it more and more as the season progresses and other sides tire.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #239 on: November 23, 2020, 02:44:04 PM »
No need to make changes for the Wetspam game. It isnt until next monday night. Players will have had a week to get into tip top condition and the game plan should be fully rehearsed and understood. I expect another 3 points from a comprehensive away win.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal