collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by devilla
[Today at 01:00:22 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Brighton post-match thread  (Read 20861 times)

Online Baldy

Re: Aston Villa vs Brighton post-match thread
« Reply #210 on: November 22, 2020, 11:12:46 AM »
I don't think it's sluggishness, having watched it the highlights and looked back  at a few things from the game I think the problem is the lack of preparation. We looked like players who had been off playing all different styles and shapes and came back to 1 training session before the match. For example was Mings positioning for the first influenced by a week and half of training on the left of a 3? Was McGinn playing a little further forward than he did against Arsenal because that's the role he plays for Scotland?

I don't know either way but 3 international games in a row leaving the club with 1-2 days with players before a league match feels fucking shit, not because of fatigue but because of how they train. I don't have a good answer for how to change it but 3 international windows for a total of 8 games in just over 2 months is fucking ridiculous.

Agreed 100%.

Even Jack started playing his England role for Villa. He was left, right and center.

After a rushed preparation for the match, our hasty game plan was thrown out the window after 2 minutes with the Barkley injury.

Deano takes great pride in preparation but the odds were stacked against him for this match.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #211 on: November 22, 2020, 11:45:51 AM »
This is absolutely the cause. Lack of preparation time. All games yesterday should have been moved to Sunday.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #212 on: November 22, 2020, 11:49:53 AM »
I know the players love them and it’s their goal but I hate international breaks. It can stop momentum and it can influence a performance following one.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #213 on: November 22, 2020, 11:50:19 AM »
I don't think it's sluggishness, having watched it the highlights and looked back  at a few things from the game I think the problem is the lack of preparation. We looked like players who had been off playing all different styles and shapes and came back to 1 training session before the match. For example was Mings positioning for the first influenced by a week and half of training on the left of a 3? Was McGinn playing a little further forward than he did against Arsenal because that's the role he plays for Scotland?

I don't know either way but 3 international games in a row leaving the club with 1-2 days with players before a league match feels fucking shit, not because of fatigue but because of how they train. I don't have a good answer for how to change it but 3 international windows for a total of 8 games in just over 2 months is fucking ridiculous.

Agreed 100%.

Even Jack started playing his England role for Villa. He was left, right and center.

After a rushed preparation for the match, our hasty game plan was thrown out the window after 2 minutes with the Barkley injury.

Deano takes great pride in preparation but the odds were stacked against him for this match.

I thought this was most obvious with Jack. Before the break he was playing clever balls which were finding his team mates at Villa, & we watched him grow into having that understanding with England team mates, & then come back to Villa and those balls weren’t finding our players again.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #214 on: November 22, 2020, 12:25:17 PM »
This is absolutely the cause. Lack of preparation time. All games yesterday should have been moved to Sunday.
Agreed that was the difference between last international break and this one.  In October international players were released on Tuesday night and we played Leicester on Sunday evening. This time  it was Wednesday and Saturday lunch time.
But the devil disguised as Television decides when games are played.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:29:12 PM by olaftab »

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #215 on: November 22, 2020, 01:40:13 PM »

Agreed 100%.

I thought this was most obvious with Jack. Before the break he was playing clever balls which were finding his team mates at Villa, & we watched him grow into having that understanding with England team mates, & then come back to Villa and those balls weren’t finding our players again.

Grealish was dreadful last 20 mins. Clearly running on empty and he took the wrong option nearly every time he got it. Held the ball far too much to walking pace at times.

Wouldn't be overly impressed with his antics getting the Brighton lad sent off, definitely a foul but it also wasted a lot of time finally getting him off the pitch.

Think Smith made a big error in team selection really. Likes of McGinn should have been rested with all the travel and games he has played in recent weeks. Why not start the likes of Nakamba and AEG and then bring them off for the likes of McGinn. It's all a bit MON esque with his use of the squad this season so far and it's going to count against us I think. 

Offline Dr_Fegg

• GM : 09.08.2015
« Reply #216 on: November 22, 2020, 01:48:37 PM »
Is this just part of the growing/learnng process for manager and players? When did we last have this many international players in the team most of whom played a few days earlier.

Most of the key players looked sluggish and slightly off the pace but my observation (not concern) is the bench/squad aren't yet strong enough to replace them in matches like this.

Watkins didn't spend enough time in the box and we had to many wingers on BUT we did create enough chances to win the game and maybe this is the game they'll all learn from most.

Were not there yet we're building and look miles better than last season already but you still have to do the basics properly and we didn't.

How many corners didn't clear the First man
If you know you're feeling a bit tired give yourself a few extra yards so you don't get outrun.

The squad will get better and we'll go from losing/drawing games like this to winning them.

Keep the faith.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #217 on: November 22, 2020, 02:44:56 PM »

I believe I am correct in this Brighton had no players away on international duty, we had loads. They got in complete prep for our game, whereas as we got one day. We’re not the elite clubs where our quality is so much better it can overcome that. And even with our mistakes we should have won. I’ll take the positives from disappointment of the defeat and expect us to be much better for West Ham away.

Online olaftab

« Reply #218 on: November 22, 2020, 02:50:08 PM »
To end this debate on penalty I would like to hear what Darren Woolley has to say?

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #219 on: November 22, 2020, 03:17:12 PM »
We could do with some more depth. McGinn, Luiz and Mings were very poor yesterday. These are the guys that were involved in internationals, so it's not that surprising is it?

Brighton's 11 were all at home I think so they had two weeks to work on us.

We don't have any options... Barkley goes off and our 12th man is on and we have nothing on the bench.

I don't think we need to be drawing any real conclusions, McGinn and Luiz haven't been at their best yet this season but it'll come. We're clearly a win 1 and lose 1 side this season... not ideal but we've kicked on a lot and it's all part of the process. We're on for >50 points, which could see us in the 12th-8th range, which would be a very good return considering where we were at the restart.

It’s important to remember this.

That a team without internationals not only returns less jaded, but have had a solid  2 weeks AS A TEAM to  prepare for the fixture.

All of this is true but was as true before the game kicked off and not many folk on here were predicting a Brighton win.

The way we play has been established over the seven previous games this season and we picked an unchanged side.

We weren't terrible by any means. However we know that Brighton are a decent passing side and we pretty much let them play. At times at home it would just be good to be compact in midfield and hard to play through. We are conceding way too many good chances.

If that means changing our shape and personnel on a game specific basis then the manager should be able to change things to do that.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #220 on: November 22, 2020, 03:18:24 PM »
Lamptey was away with the u21s.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #221 on: November 22, 2020, 05:07:33 PM »
Over the next two transfer windows, I hope we start looking at upgrades for the following first team starters:

Trez, Mings, Targett

All three of whom are just too inconsistent in their positions, and have as many bad games as they do good.  On top of getting another foward in.  Watkins wasn't at it today, but we had nobody to replace him for the last 20 mins or whatever.

not to disagree but where exactly are is the upgrade for Mings coming from

if you had 80 mill to spend who could you bring in that’s going to be better
I’m not saying that because I think Mings is ace just that I don’t see any centre half’s about who are that much better

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #222 on: November 22, 2020, 05:15:56 PM »
I largely agree with John, the trend over the last 10 years has been to teach footballers how to defend rather than teaching defenders how to play a bit. It doesn't sound like a massive change but led to a change in how teams defend, and generally not for the better defensively but it comes with the advantage of teams being much better at playing out from the back and drawing teams forward so they can go over the top.

Online olaftab

« Reply #223 on: November 22, 2020, 05:49:35 PM »
I didn't realise how crap Brighton are but having just looked at the table  blimey we made them look good yesterday. They had 6 points from 8.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #224 on: November 22, 2020, 05:54:36 PM »
I didn't realise how crap Brighton are but having just looked at the table  blimey we made them look good yesterday. They had 6 points from 8.

I don’t think the table actually did them justice. I’m not a massive fan of stats like XG but even a mate of mine said it’s amazing how many chances they miss. That said you have to take them and they haven’t most of the season. If you look at the same stat for our game yesterday I’m sure it will show we “should” have won. Should doesn’t ever get you points.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal