collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Brighton post-match thread  (Read 21112 times)

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
Re: Aston Villa vs Brighton post-match thread
« Reply #195 on: November 22, 2020, 05:07:09 AM »
Over the next two transfer windows, I hope we start looking at upgrades for the following first team starters:

Trez, Mings, Targett

All three of whom are just too inconsistent in their positions, and have as many bad games as they do good.  On top of getting another foward in.  Watkins wasn't at it today, but we had nobody to replace him for the last 20 mins or whatever.

100% agree, Risso.

I'd add McGinn to that list, also. Another that just isn't consistent enough for me. Maybe he isn't fully fit, but he was sloppy and lazy yesterday. Luiz wasn't much better.

I want urgency and tenacity from a midfield. Hourihane should have been busting a gut when he came on, but I didn't notice him really.

Offline Axl Rose

« Reply #196 on: November 22, 2020, 05:11:10 AM »
All in all, it was a decent match, and we are better than we were last season.

I've revised my finishing position prediction from 17th to 13th. West Ham and the Geordies next, and a bit of dinosaur hunting.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #197 on: November 22, 2020, 08:54:39 AM »
Over the next two transfer windows, I hope we start looking at upgrades for the following first team starters:
Trez, Mings, Targett
All three of whom are just too inconsistent in their positions, and have as many bad games as they do good.  On top of getting another foward in.  Watkins wasn't at it today, but we had nobody to replace him for the last 20 mins or whatever.
100% agree, Risso.
I'd add McGinn to that list, also. Another that just isn't consistent enough for me. Maybe he isn't fully fit, but he was sloppy and lazy yesterday. Luiz wasn't much better.
I want urgency and tenacity from a midfield. Hourihane should have been busting a gut when he came on, but I didn't notice him really.
Whilst I agree we should always be looking to improve, the current issues are not so much about player ability. They are about discipline and leadership. Yesterday, Cash and Luiz were both culpable for the goals, and Mings was implicated in both; not because they're crap but because they were not concentrating and positioning was poor.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #198 on: November 22, 2020, 09:21:29 AM »
We could do with some more depth. McGinn, Luiz and Mings were very poor yesterday. These are the guys that were involved in internationals, so it's not that surprising is it?

Brighton's 11 were all at home I think so they had two weeks to work on us.

We don't have any options... Barkley goes off and our 12th man is on and we have nothing on the bench.

I don't think we need to be drawing any real conclusions, McGinn and Luiz haven't been at their best yet this season but it'll come. We're clearly a win 1 and lose 1 side this season... not ideal but we've kicked on a lot and it's all part of the process. We're on for >50 points, which could see us in the 12th-8th range, which would be a very good return considering where we were at the restart.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 09:24:38 AM by JJ-AV »

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #199 on: November 22, 2020, 09:23:49 AM »
I'll be interested to see whether this is reviewed by Refwatch on Sky as it is very clear from Oliver that he ignored the could because March had "got" the ball.  Truth is Trez GOT the ball and in turning back inside the ball grazed March's outstretched leg before his studs crashed into Trez's shins.  With forward momentum a kick there will cause you to draw your legs up to avoid serious injury although I would have to agree that it didn't look great.

Truth is though we were poor.  Barkley's injury was a blow but it was the first minute and shouldn't have impacted us.  The "penalty" gives Dean the excuse that we should have had a draw but I'm not sure we deserved that despite appearing to be on top.  Questions about his game management remain and yesterday did nothing to change that.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #200 on: November 22, 2020, 09:27:50 AM »
I still think we need a bit of experience. In the Champo we were able to add players like Whelan, Jedinak and Terry who helped us see games out. We could do with a bit of that now.

Not sure who or who's available but in Jan if we could get someone at CM or CB to come in and bolster the squad. The problem is the higher up you get the harder it is to get these players in.

Mings is still a relatively inexperienced CB and he's alongside a very young defence. Upgrades to Engels, Taylor, Nakamba and Davis in this squad of a similar level to the players we acquired in the Summer and we'll be in a much better position to push on.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #201 on: November 22, 2020, 09:37:48 AM »
Trez could have stayed on his feet and tried to play the ball, he was looking for the penalty, he dived, the touch on his leg did not impede Trez from playing the ball.
Yes we have seen them given for a lot less but I do not think it was a penalty.
Tend to agree with this. If an opposition player were to do the same you’d be furious. Gutted it wasn’t given but it was one of those decisions that really could have gone either way, today it didn’t go in our way.

Disagree - if one of our players did that we’d be calling them all of the idiots under the sun.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #202 on: November 22, 2020, 09:40:11 AM »
We could do with some more depth. McGinn, Luiz and Mings were very poor yesterday. These are the guys that were involved in internationals, so it's not that surprising is it?

We don't have any options... Barkley goes off and our 12th man is on and we have nothing on the bench.

I don't think we need to be drawing any real conclusions, McGinn and Luiz haven't been at their best yet this season but it'll come. We're clearly a win 1 and lose 1 side this season... not ideal but we've kicked on a lot and it's all part of the process. We're on for >50 points, which could see us in the 12th-8th range, which would be a very good return considering where we were at the restart.

It’s important to remember this.

That a team without internationals not only returns less jaded, but have had a solid  2 weeks AS A TEAM to  prepare for the fixture.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #203 on: November 22, 2020, 09:49:38 AM »

Trez, Mings, Targett

100% agree, Risso.

I’d agree about Conor mate, but I do wonder if he’s pretty deflated at the moment. Dropped after scoring and assisting against Fulham and not played a minute until yesterday.

I felt he’d come on once Ross was injured but it wasn’t to be. Then he gets 15 minutes at the end. I know he’s a professional and all that, but I think he feels he’s dropped right down the pecking order.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #204 on: November 22, 2020, 09:49:38 AM »

Spot on post this.
We have a tendency to write off players as crap after one or two poor games, look back a few weeks ago after Leeds and Southampton and similar things were being said about Barklay. Mings does have the odd shocker but he also has some very good games, Arsenal and Leicester two examples but there are more. Again McGinn has some stinkers like yesterday but also some potential MOM performances like Arsenal. It’s the consistency that only the sides pushing for the title maintain, but we look a very exciting side, sometimes too exciting, but like you say a top 10/top 8 finish is achievable with this group, which would be a 3rd season of real progress if it happens. Hopefully we get 6 points against West Ham and Newcastle before a very tough game against wolves.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #205 on: November 22, 2020, 10:04:27 AM »
The defensive positioning for that first goal was shambolic.  You don’t need coaching for that.  Reminded me of the Manure goal when they broke because Mings having another one of his shockers lost the ball and chased back only to stand off the bloke.  He’s just not all that I’m afraid.  He’s too languid and gets caught out so many times.  In terms of pointing though he’s been to the Westwood College of Fine Finger Movement. 

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #206 on: November 22, 2020, 10:04:39 AM »
Thought at times were awful as much we were great. Such inconsistency is caused by such inconsistent players like Mings , SJM, Luiz, Targett, Trez. Who can be great or piss poor on a regular basis.
I actually enjoyed the game from a spectator point of view but maybe would have preferred a drab 1-0 to see us sit 2nd in the table.

We have improved but need better more consistent 7/10 minimum every game players.

Thought both the sending off and reversed pen decisions were pretty shit but nothing surprises me anymore.

Still looking forward to the next game which is a huge improvement on last 10 years

Offline Axl Rose

« Reply #207 on: November 22, 2020, 10:24:20 AM »

Trez, Mings, Targett

100% agree, Risso.

I’d agree about Conor mate, but I do wonder if he’s pretty deflated at the moment. Dropped after scoring and assisting against Fulham and not played a minute until yesterday.

I felt he’d come on once Ross was injured but it wasn’t to be. Then he gets 15 minutes at the end. I know he’s a professional and all that, but I think he feels he’s dropped right down the pecking order.

Regarding Hourihane, definitely, mate. I'd be deflated, too, bit I thought he was someone who thrives on setbacks? He should have been on for McGinn at half time.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #208 on: November 22, 2020, 10:45:39 AM »
A close game basically decided by March curling a shot in with the foot he normally does everything to avoid using and Trezeguet being unable to hit the target when given two goes at it plus we were clearly stuffed by the officials on the penalty decision.

I think we’re destined to struggle following international breaks as we don’t have the squad depth to cope with the disruption it causes and that will take time, and money, to rectify.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #209 on: November 22, 2020, 10:56:14 AM »
McGinn, Luiz, Mings, Ollie and Jack (yes even Jack for the last half hour) all have poor games by their standards, but the focus of some is the contribution of Hourihane in the last 10-15 mins. Really? And why just Conor and not El Ghazi also?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal