collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Brighton post-match thread  (Read 21105 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Aston Villa vs Brighton post-match thread
« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2020, 10:01:01 PM »
Another defeat where I didn't think we actually played that badly. Better finishing and we would have won it. I know people don't like using tiredness as an excuse (and it was nice to have a 3pm game) but we would have benefited from playing Monday. Still, it's how we bounce back again but we're doing ok.

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2020, 11:19:56 PM »
Re pen didn't think it was a clear and obvious error, should not gave been overturned, but I hate diving and that was a shocker from Trez, needs to cut that out of his game, hopefully the management will tell him so.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2020, 11:21:30 PM »
It looked a penalty to me.

I would agree had Trezeguet not thrown himself in the air like he'd been shot.  If it was against us, I would say it was soft as shit, although once given, it shouldn't have been overturned.

Yes, it was rather theatrical. Needs to cut that sort of shit out.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2020, 11:21:55 PM »
Without the dive it might not have gone to VAR, it certainly didn’t help matters.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2020, 11:22:28 PM »
I note that diving now appears to be a problem in the game, well if it isn't a favoured club or player.

Tez dived, Jack dives all the time. Others are clever, or entitled to go down under the challenge.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2020, 11:25:21 PM »
Tbf I agree with that, it was a pen all day but he went down  in such a stupid dramatic manner that it probably caused doubts.

Offline MalcolmP

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2020, 11:31:04 PM »
I note that diving now appears to be a problem in the game, well if it isn't a favoured club or player.

Tez dived, Jack dives all the time. Others are clever, or entitled to go down under the challenge.

No he does not.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2020, 11:35:47 PM »
Jack dives all the time.
No he doesn't
I said that without even typing.

I actually don’t think he dives as much as some say, he gets kicked to shit to be fair to him.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2020, 11:36:51 PM »
What’s going on with the quotes? Something strange happening. For the record I would never say Jack dives all the time.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2020, 11:42:23 PM »
Jack, like almost every professional player in Europe, goes down on contact, that happens because if you don't go down you don't get decisions. My favourite example of why players have to go down (and every single coach/manager in the country will encourage it) is Helenius against Tottenham, he stayed up and got a shot away (when his shorts were round his knees) so we didn't get one of the most obvious penalties in the history of the sport. If refs can't use their common sense to give free kicks without players falling to the floor then players are going to fall to the floor.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2020, 11:47:53 PM »
I think I've been misunderstood here.

I don't believe that Jack dives all the time, my point was the way the media apply different rules to different players.

Trez was criticised on MOTD for diving a few minutes ago, I've seen Salah react in precisely the same manner but without the same criticism.

That was my point.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2020, 11:49:52 PM »
Trez dives, Salah's clever. That's the Liverpool effect.

Online The Edge

« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2020, 11:52:29 PM »
Having watched motd I've changed my opinion slightly.  I still think it's a pen but the theatrics by Trez has given the ref room for doubt once he was told to have a look.Having said that there's no way that was a clear and obvious error. As such VAR should not have got involved. Our defence lost their shape at times and they punished us. Welbeck's goal was particularly bad. He is not known for his speed so for him to pick up the ball 10 yards into our half and run unchallenged for an 8 yard tap in is pretty alarming. All in all a draw would of probably been a fair result but it was their day. There was some sluggishness from the international break which is hopefully out of our system now. Onward to West Ham. My moneys on a bounce back victory for the Villa boys.

Online The Edge

« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2020, 11:55:15 PM »
Jack, like almost every professional player in Europe, goes down on contact, that happens because if you don't go down you don't get decisions. My favourite example of why players have to go down (and every single coach/manager in the country will encourage it) is Helenius against Tottenham, he stayed up and got a shot away (when his shorts were round his knees) so we didn't get one of the most obvious penalties in the history of the sport. If refs can't use their common sense to give free kicks without players falling to the floor then players are going to fall to the floor.
That's a very good point.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal