collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 70's memories  (Read 3388 times)

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
Re: 70's memories
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2020, 10:25:09 AM »
I didn't attend my first game until early in the 73-74 season, but my first-hand experience of the latter half of the decade was one that I'm so glad coincided with my late primary/high school years.  I didn't go home and away like it did in the late 80s and early 90s, but nothing beats having a successful team and sharing them with like-minded school mates at the time in your life when football is all-consuming.  I often think that those years gave me a such a fund of goodwill, that even when it has been severely tested at times this century, AVFC are still very much in credit.   

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 12:54:26 PM »
I was at that Bristol game and we were pretty poor alright, we were convinced Shaw would be hooked at half time but, as history shows, he wasn't and I firmly believe that was the making of him.  I'm still pissed off that all his goals were down the other end!

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 05:54:11 PM »
I was lucky enough to be at the Liverpool, QPR semi-final and Barca games but a bit young to appreciate them and all in the Lower Trinity.

So I'll go for the first time I remember being on the Holte, the Easter Monday 3-1 game against Liverpool in '79. I seem to recall lots of noise, it being a gloriously sunny day and YNWA being sung but I was only 9.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 03:46:00 PM »
I was lucky enough to be at the Liverpool, QPR semi-final and Barca games but a bit young to appreciate them and all in the Lower Trinity.

So I'll go for the first time I remember being on the Holte, the Easter Monday 3-1 game against Liverpool in '79. I seem to recall lots of noise, it being a gloriously sunny day and YNWA being sung but I was only 9.

Correct and Liverpool only conceded 16 all season. I was there also

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2020, 04:03:54 PM »
My favourite decade. I was born in 65 and was a total football nut from the age of 5 onward. I loved all the stats and could name you most of the 70’s cup final teams even now. Watching Villa was superb through most of this decade. Some great games already mentioned. Goals galore in 74/75 and 76/77 and Ali was fortunate to be at a lot of those games

Other great games It already mentioned

75- Villa 3 Chester 2. End to end scoring  Not quite as exciting as the Tranmere semi but close
75- Villa 3 Baggies 1. I think that was the score and we were 1 down at one point
75- villa 2 Sunderland 0. Sat around the perimeter of the pitch as the Holte was so packed. Attendance was 57k from memory
76- Villa 5 Ipswich 2. Andy Gray hat trick and I was behind them on the Holte
77/78. All games in the UEFA cup. Great stuff

All great stuff. John Gidman overlapping, Andy Gray in the air, Chris Nicholl winning everything, Ray Grayson and Brian Little’s scoring exploits in the promotion year

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2020, 10:44:52 AM »
I always watch the clip of the Blues home game in September 1975.  We won 2-1 after being behind.  And for the fact that somehow or other the attendance reached 53,782. I love watching games from that era and am envious I wasn’t old enough to attend games.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2020, 01:38:49 PM »
My first Villa game was 10th April 1976. Villa 0 Liverpool 0. I have no memories of the game other than I watched it on my dad's shoulders in the Holte End.

My dad is a Blues fan and we used to alternate going to see both teams in the 70's.

Again I have no memories of the Villa games at all that I went to in the 70's. My main abiding memory is queuing up to get into Villa Park on Witton Lane before an Everton game and the Everton fans walking past us en masse  throwing rocks and bricks at Villa fans leaning down at them from the Holte who returned them back.

I have no idea why we weren't targeted as we were a sitting target but it definitely didn't put me off.

The memories of actual matches didn't start until the 80's but I know that I saw Andy Gray, Ray Graydon, John Gidman even if I have absolutely no recollection of them.

I just looked at the teams from that first game in '76. What line-ups!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal