collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Remember Remember the 5th November  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
Remember Remember the 5th November
« on: November 05, 2020, 02:48:31 PM »
1977 - Hark now hear.

1983 - One win at Old Trafford Since

1988 - 8000+ Villa fans

1989 - "It's astonishing this!"

2000 - The magic man.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
Re: Remember Remember the 5th November
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 03:45:09 PM »
I was at the '83 game at Old Trafford. Went up on a coach with the Brummie Reds and sat in the home stands, as my Dad was friend with the later Mayor of Brum Mike Nangle who was a big Man U fan. Great day and the trip home was fun.

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 02:42:22 PM »
I was at the Anfield game in 77. I remember being in the Anfield Road end with only a single line of Police separating us Villa contingent from the Liverpool fans who were throwing lighted bangers at us! Then followed by a chilly journey home as our coach windows were put through by those loveable scousers. Brilliant to win there though. Their home record was exceptional and we went there and beat them deservedly.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 03:58:10 PM »
I remember the Merson winner at Everton.

We were dreadful that day and then Merson does that right at the end.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 04:02:54 PM »
I remember the Merson winner at Everton.

We were dreadful that day and then Merson does that right at the end.

Many happy memories of that game. Was in my first year of uni at Aberystwyth, and watched it in the student union with my then new flatmates; A Man Utd fan, a Leeds fan, an Arsenal fan, and guy who at that point hated football. On seeing my reaction to Merson's late winner, he decided that Villa were the team for him.

20 years later he's one of my best mates, and that day in the union he casually pointed out that his mum was from Aston and his family all Villa fans. Haha. I guess I was the straw that broke the camels back.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 05:39:47 PM »
I was at the Anfield game in 77. I remember being in the Anfield Road end with only a single line of Police separating us Villa contingent from the Liverpool fans who were throwing lighted bangers at us!

I wish it was just bangers, it was horrible that night especially leaving the ground when both the scousers and plod were waiting for us. I was only a nipper but I can still remember how frightening it was. Probably my first real experience of (state sponsored) hooliganism.
83 at Old Trafford was a more enjoyable day out. Back then Man Utd fans created a real atmosphere but we held on deserved the points. 88 there was special as we've discussed many a time on here, otherwise known as the Tarzan game, the Villa numbers, I don't think it was all ticket as they'd never have given us so many. Fortunately I only had a short trip back across the M62 but others heading back to Brum still talk about the fog that night.
Everton at Villa Park was probably the best football we played under Graham Taylor Mk I. We were a joy to watch that season and Sir Graham rarely got the credit for the type of football we played (other than getting the England job, obviously).

Never went to the Goodison game but remember watching it in some pub over here. The most boring game ever played with one exception. Magic! What was he thinking?

Offline trinityoap

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 06:19:09 PM »
After the 77 game against the Scallies a friendly scouse policemen threatened to arrest me for holding a dart.He did not believe I had just pulled it from the back of my neck until I showed him the blood. Happy days.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 12:20:38 AM »
After the 77 game against the Scallies a friendly scouse policemen threatened to arrest me for holding a dart.He did not believe I had just pulled it from the back of my neck until I showed him the blood. Happy days.

The good old days of trips away...🙄

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal