collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Crowd Effect.  (Read 4361 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

The Crowd Effect.
« on: November 10, 2020, 09:08:32 AM »
There’s been a lot of debate about whether or not the lack of crowds benefits some teams more than others.  Obviously because we have started well it is down in some quarters to the lack of our demanding crowd weighing heavily on the players.  That’s one argument.  The other one is that we have frankly just bought better players this summer whilst others have settled in. 

However, I’m thinking maybe in some respects the lack of crowd is having a positive effect on some of our players in helping them settle in. 

Take Ollie Watkins.  Huge price tag for a championship player.  Had our crowd been present and he had missed a couple early on would the weight of expectation started to tell? We’ve seen it happen before with new striker signings (see JPA and one or two others).  It’s all hypothetical of course.  But if the lack of crowd has given him freedom to hit the ground running then this can only be a good thing for when they are finally allowed to return.  I think he is the real deal anyway but this must be great for his confidence for when he has to perform in front of 40k at VP.

Also these bizarre VAR decisions I’m wondering if half of them would be given in a hostile crowd environment.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
Re: The Crowd Effect.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 09:19:29 AM »
I think it's 50/50.

Whereas Liverpool pulling a goal back may have made the crowd nervous and that in turn would've affected the players, pulling two back against Saints may have galvanized the fans and pulled the team over the line.

It's a slur often thrown at us that we are quick to get on the players backs but I actually think that it true of most fans and conversely a full Villa Park, under the lights in foul winter weather with the team up against it is hard to match.

I do believe that all players are feeling a new found freedom playing without the weight of expectation of a live crowd hence the unpredictable results and glut of goals. If it helps our team gel then at least some good will come out of a pretty miserable time.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 10:51:21 AM »
It's clearly having some effect, and not just us. There's been 245 goals scored, and 'away' is currently winning 130-115 (or should that be 115-130?). And the 7 lowest scorers at home occupy the 7 bottom places of the actual table. Burnley haven't scored yet!

Somewhere it possibly has helped us is out wide. Players who'd normally be within earshot of the words of individual fans have not had to endure a constant barrage from people who think they're doing their job wrong. It's hard to tell with Cash as he's not played in front of a Villa crowd yet, but I think Targett seems less fretful, in both his body language and his play.
Trez is the one where I think it's made a massive difference. He's been freed from having to try to please spectators who still want him to be like Morley, and instead allowed to develop unharassed into the latter-day Bremner we're all a bit (rightly) fanboying over at the moment.

Offline Daley’s dreads

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 12:11:35 PM »
I think the Villa crowd has been amazing the last few seasons though. To be honest, relegation did us good in that respect. Even when we were getting hammered and making stupid mistakes last season the crowd were very good. And we’re definitely noisier these days.

Think our crowd would have definitely helped against Leeds.

Offline Moonraker

• GM : 22.10.2022
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 12:19:12 PM »
Last season the crowd were fantastic. I can not recall any time when the crowd seriously got at any player despite a litany of errors. Dougs howler to put Bournmouth 2 up was glossed over by the Holte, and the attitude carried on through the season

Online Baldy

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 12:46:11 PM »
When things are not going well on the pitch and I look at the 'match thread' the vitriol spouted by some of our posters beggars belief.

Is it fair to assume that the match threads are a true representation and a fair reflection of our supporters in the ground? I don't know, now live a few thousand miles away and have not seen a live game for years.

If the assumption is correct, I am not surprised our team is playing better and expressing themselves more behind closed gates. No one jumping down their throat if a fancy flick or trick goes wrong.

Yes, all clubs have a bunch of moaners/whiners but I fear Villa have a few more than most.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 12:53:05 PM »
I'd bet every match thread for every club in the country is the same as ours. Fuck knows why even our own fans buy into the DOL bullshit.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 12:58:28 PM »
Our away support is fabulously supportive. And yet that's where we've won all our games without conceding. At home, where they would generally be more pressure is where we lost. So perhaps it doesn't make a difference...

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 01:04:52 PM »
It could be that we are just better this season more than fans having anything significantly to do with it. I’m not suggesting it hasn’t had bearing on all sports but professionals adjust quickly. Our players are confident and that confidence comes from winning and performing at a high level.

Offline exigo

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 01:54:21 PM »
One thing that struck me on Sunday night is that we've got a striker banging in the goals who doesn't have a chant. In a normal world, we'd all be singing his name, making him feel 10 foot tall on the pitch. Hard to think that the newer players especially wouldn't benefit from our support in the flesh.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 02:07:43 PM »
I think players are playing with more freedom - with the atmosphere of a training ground, rather than a full stadium. It would be interesting to hear what they are saying about the difference. Clearly something is having an effect on games.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 03:24:23 PM »
Poor Wesley. But the time he's back so will the crowds.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 03:26:19 PM »
Any stats on whether away teams are performing better than normal. That'd be an indicator

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 03:30:22 PM »
Any stats on whether away teams are performing better than normal. That'd be an indicator

Doubt there's many many seasons in recent memory when likes of Man. United and Spurs have won all their away games so far but 0 and 1 home win between them. Our away form is better than at VP despite playing more home games aswell.

What's our record for away wins in top flight? Can remember us getting to 10 away wins in one of the MON seasons so could well surpass that this season.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 04:07:24 PM »

Yes they are - this was covered on SSN yesterday. So far this season it’s something like 31% of PL games being home wins and 46% being away wins, which is almost an exact reversal of the usual, long term trend.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal