collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 09:03:14 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by GordonCowansisthegreatest
[Today at 08:59:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 172376 times)

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #1110 on: January 26, 2021, 05:12:00 PM »
what about Dirty Diego Costa ?  what's he up to these days ?

UTV
The Doc

I want Costa, not for his undoubted ability as much as the fact he is the King Shithouse, and it would lead to numerous spontaneous combustion throughout the Black Country, West Yorkshire and a very small corridor along the A45.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #1111 on: January 26, 2021, 05:18:12 PM »
just googled and apparently he is without a club at the moment.

UTV
The Doc

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1112 on: January 26, 2021, 05:22:16 PM »

UTV
The Doc

I want Costa, not for his undoubted ability as much as the fact he is the King Shithouse, and it would lead to numerous spontaneous combustion throughout the Black Country, West Yorkshire and a very small corridor along the A45.

Agreed.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #1113 on: January 26, 2021, 05:25:45 PM »
Get Terry on the phone to him.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1114 on: January 26, 2021, 06:25:38 PM »

UTV
The Doc

Doc, I believe he's working as an anger management counsellor atm.

I agree with Lee, I've always enjoyed watching Costa. Just think of all the shithousery he could teach Wesley and Doug.

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #1115 on: January 26, 2021, 07:02:20 PM »
Edin Dzeko rumoured to be available but might be off to Everton. True he's 34 but I think experience could help our squad cope with the biggest games. Him or Costa would get those tap ins we need. Id argued for Mario Mandzukic but hes gone to AC Milan.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1116 on: January 26, 2021, 08:10:07 PM »
Dzeko is a very good player, though perhaps at the very tail end of his ability to play at the top level.  My concern with him isn't his age, but the "type" of forward he is - have we not developed a style of play that wouldn't necessarily work with him as a one-up-front?

He might offer something in a two maybe, and it might be someone like him gives us tactical flexibility from the bench, but I'm not sure we could play the same way with someone like him upfront?

Roma played a 3-4-2-1 all season. Until the fall out it was Dzeko upfront with Mikitayran and Pedro drifting inside so not too much different to what we do with Jack and Traore.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1117 on: January 27, 2021, 05:20:24 PM »
Dzeko is a very good player, though perhaps at the very tail end of his ability to play at the top level.  My concern with him isn't his age, but the "type" of forward he is - have we not developed a style of play that wouldn't necessarily work with him as a one-up-front?

He might offer something in a two maybe, and it might be someone like him gives us tactical flexibility from the bench, but I'm not sure we could play the same way with someone like him upfront?

Roma played a 3-4-2-1 all season. Until the fall out it was Dzeko upfront with Mikitayran and Pedro drifting inside so not too much different to what we do with Jack and Traore.

I meant more what is required of the lone forward in our current system, rather than the fact he can play AS a lone forward.  Our pressing game has been transformed with Ollie up front, and his runs into the channels regularly get us possession in the final third.  It feels like the way we play right now requires a mobile and relatively pacey frontman - and I'm not sure Dzeko is that sort of player (good as he is at everything else).  As I said, he'd be a great option if we're looking to change the way we play, or to have that option available on the bench, but I'm not convinced he'd fit seamlessly into the way the 2021 version of Aston Villa plays?

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1118 on: January 27, 2021, 07:04:15 PM »

I meant more what is required of the lone forward in our current system, rather than the fact he can play AS a lone forward.  Our pressing game has been transformed with Ollie up front, and his runs into the channels regularly get us possession in the final third.  It feels like the way we play right now requires a mobile and relatively pacey frontman - and I'm not sure Dzeko is that sort of player (good as he is at everything else).  As I said, he'd be a great option if we're looking to change the way we play, or to have that option available on the bench, but I'm not convinced he'd fit seamlessly into the way the 2021 version of Aston Villa plays?

More a bench option for me and someone who could come in for starts here and there. Davis can't press that well either and I presume he's in if Ollie pulled up.

I remember weeks ago the debate about 5 subs and people whining about Man. United and Chelsea putting on likes of Cavani and Giroud to win them the game in last 20 minutes.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have that option for last 4 months of the season. As much as our first 11 are excellent now we still lack a match winner or two off the bench, someone we can throw on when we're 1-1 with two minutes left v a Spurs say and instantly get them on the back foot and win us the game rather than us clinging on for the point due to limited options.

Can't really remember the last forward player we had who did have that ability, perhaps Carew but thought he was far more effective starting for us.

That sort of signing could well be difference now between top 6 or not or even a little bit higher.

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #1119 on: January 27, 2021, 07:30:24 PM »
I think we need an option to protect or support Ollie. Granted hopefully Wes is back soon but Davis isnt that option. If Watkings gets clogged we are without a prem quality striker and all the progress could go to waste.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1120 on: January 27, 2021, 07:58:00 PM »
I think we need an option to protect or support Ollie. Granted hopefully Wes is back soon but Davis isnt that option. If Watkings gets clogged we are without a prem quality striker and all the progress could go to waste.

Agreed but whoever that player is, Smith needs to learn how to use his squad and subs. AEG and Trez should have been on at least 10 mins earlier from a position of strength. Not chasing a lead on 82mins.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #1121 on: January 27, 2021, 08:08:51 PM »
The three subs we put on aren't exactly going to scare many prem teams to death and they're the best three we've got unless we drop a regular 11 player. That and  some of them should've been on 2-2.

Vydra made a real difference for Burnley second half chasing lost causes and all that. They are many better strikers than him in world football not playing so up to us to get one of them in next 5 days.

Would've been good if getting back to 2-2 Burnley look over and see us about to bring on said forward so they know it's going to be incredibly difficult 15 minutes to hold onto the point but instead little confidence in bench options and the game frustratingly slipped away from us.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #1122 on: January 27, 2021, 08:11:04 PM »
So let's not kid ourselves any longer.  We NEED another striker NOW!

Offline wolfman999

« Reply #1123 on: January 27, 2021, 08:12:00 PM »
Our one major squad weakness as I see it is at centre forward. Davies couldn’t hit the North Stand if he was standing in it and is totally inadequate as cover, always supposing he doesn’t pull a hamstring reading the program before a game.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1124 on: January 27, 2021, 08:46:15 PM »
Agreed but whoever that player is, Smith needs to learn how to use his squad and subs. AEG and Trez should have been on at least 10 mins earlier from a position of strength. Not chasing a lead on 82mins.
You're right about Smith and substitutions ....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal