collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 172305 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #1095 on: January 26, 2021, 01:56:47 PM »
Yep

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1096 on: January 26, 2021, 01:57:24 PM »
Dzeko being linked to West Ham, would love that type as a signing for rest of the season. His goal record been brilliant last few years in Serie A and did well when he was over here for Man. City.

Sort of short term boost that could nudge us into top 6 I reckon.

Yup. Would be ideal on an 18 month contract.
It would go against everything the club has said in the last 2 years about transfer policy. We won’t be looking at 34 year old outfield players unless there is a unexpected complete policy change.

As Dave said, it would be a bit daft to pigeonhole what we are looking for rather than judging each case on its merits.

We play a formation with a single striker, so any striker we bring in is going to be replacing Watkins or playing second-fiddle to Watkins.

I'd have said an experienced striker who isn't able to play every game but those he does play he's really good in, while helping bring along Watkins and the (seemingly) high-quality teenagers behind him is precisely what we need right now.

Another £25m 24 year old striker would risk hugely upsetting things, an older striker wouldn't.

Not all "old player" transfers are the same - there's a world of difference between bringing in Paul Merson and handing 35 year old Shay Given a five year contract.

Edit - as a case in point, Liverpool signed Gary McAllister when he was 35 and Steven Gerrard was 20. Our policy would have pointed to that being a bad idea and that it would hinder Gerrard's development and game time. As it, Gerrard improved massively and Liverpool won four trophies in the season that he signed. With Houllier and Gerrard crediting McAllister's influence as the reason for both.

Edit - my edit probably removed the context from Risso's subsequent one. Which I assume was a reaction to being reminded of Kieron Richardson.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 02:10:17 PM by Dave »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1097 on: January 26, 2021, 01:58:45 PM »
*shudder*

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1098 on: January 26, 2021, 01:59:59 PM »
On a similar note to Dzeko haven't we been loosely linked to Alex Teixeira?

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #1099 on: January 26, 2021, 02:13:06 PM »
Of course a short term deal as a one off can work, absolutely no guarantees but I’d be very surprised to hear that we have signed any 30 year old (+) outfield player. But maybe the ‘get added value’ policy by buying young and improving players isn’t a long term philosophy?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1100 on: January 26, 2021, 02:14:35 PM »
Would be very happy with Dzeko, he's still averaging close to a goal every other game. Ollie could learn a lot from him too.

Watkins equipped with an experienced partner on the training ground and one who can compete with him for a spot/ help gee him up on the pitch when he's in need of a boost would be fantastic for him and for us.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1101 on: January 26, 2021, 02:22:37 PM »
There's always a balance particularly the higher you go up the football ladder.

Would say it's similar to Man. United getting in Cavani.

Start of season people thought it was a bad deal given he was apparently washed up and they had Martial, Rashford and Greenwood as options for a team that only plays one upfront.

However Martial has hardly scored a league goal this season (typically he did score v us) and Greenwood has largely been poor since his Iceland adventure.

Cavani been really good in last few weeks and imagine he's excellent on the training pitch and dressing room aswell.

AC Milan who are still top of Serie A recently signed Mandzukic who's 35 to add to 39 year old Zlatan so seems to be working o.k for them.

Atletico Madrid signing 33 year old Suarez and miles clear at top of La Liga is another.

Seems Ollie's fitness record is fantastic given he hardly seemed to miss a game at Brentford last season but all it takes is one bad tackle (given who we're playing next) and that could send the plans back into havoc given it would be Davis to come in.

Would rather have a Dzeko type lurking on the bench just in case. Could just be a case of taking over the rest of his Roma contract although I don't know if he has 6 or 18 months left.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1102 on: January 26, 2021, 02:22:50 PM »
Dzeko being linked to West Ham, would love that type as a signing for rest of the season. His goal record been brilliant last few years in Serie A and did well when he was over here for Man. City.

Sort of short term boost that could nudge us into top 6 I reckon.

Yup. Would be ideal on an 18 month contract.
It would go against everything the club has said in the last 2 years about transfer policy. We won’t be looking at 34 year old outfield players unless there is a unexpected complete policy change.

I would hope that any policy we have is flexible enough to deal with changes in circumstances, such as the possibility of a Champions League place at least two years ahead of schedule.

Seconded.
I’m guessing they wouldn’t. Whose to say that sort of gamble would work?  I’m patient, I can wait at bit longer for our younger players to get us there. Less financial risk, I don’t won’t to see us throwing money at ageing players with no resale value.

Every transfer is a gamble, but buying/loaning an older player now would cost us maybe £8 million in wages over the next eighteen months, which is the equivalent of two places higher in the table over the two seasons he'd be with us. Get into the Champions League and he'd be a Dwight Yorke-level bargain. As I said earlier, we're maybe two years ahead of schedule at the moment so whereas we'd have been looking last summer to sign a player who would be at his peak in 2023, perhaps we're thinking of getting the finished article in now.   

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1103 on: January 26, 2021, 03:09:25 PM »
There's always a balance particularly the higher you go up the football ladder.

Would say it's similar to Man. United getting in Cavani.

Start of season people thought it was a bad deal given he was apparently washed up and they had Martial, Rashford and Greenwood as options for a team that only plays one upfront.

However Martial has hardly scored a league goal this season (typically he did score v us) and Greenwood has largely been poor since his Iceland adventure.

Cavani been really good in last few weeks and imagine he's excellent on the training pitch and dressing room aswell.

AC Milan who are still top of Serie A recently signed Mandzukic who's 35 to add to 39 year old Zlatan so seems to be working o.k for them.

Atletico Madrid signing 33 year old Suarez and miles clear at top of La Liga is another.

Seems Ollie's fitness record is fantastic given he hardly seemed to miss a game at Brentford last season but all it takes is one bad tackle (given who we're playing next) and that could send the plans back into havoc given it would be Davis to come in.

Would rather have a Dzeko type lurking on the bench just in case. Could just be a case of taking over the rest of his Roma contract although I don't know if he has 6 or 18 months left.

Man Utd have done the 'ageing superstar forward' thing well down the years, Cavani, Imbrahmovic and Larsson have all been really good for them

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1104 on: January 26, 2021, 03:45:40 PM »
Dzeko is a very good player, though perhaps at the very tail end of his ability to play at the top level.  My concern with him isn't his age, but the "type" of forward he is - have we not developed a style of play that wouldn't necessarily work with him as a one-up-front?

He might offer something in a two maybe, and it might be someone like him gives us tactical flexibility from the bench, but I'm not sure we could play the same way with someone like him upfront?

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1105 on: January 26, 2021, 03:51:43 PM »
Of course a short term deal as a one off can work, absolutely no guarantees but I’d be very surprised to hear that we have signed any 30 year old (+) outfield player. But maybe the ‘get added value’ policy by buying young and improving players isn’t a long term philosophy?
In the past at Copenhagen, Johan Lange seems to have mostly brought in promising youngsters who add value, but not been against bringing in the odd player who doesn't fit that particular type.  Same goes with the data analyst fellow we appointed during the summer - mostly youngsters, but he also recommended Cambiasso on a free to Leicester the summer before they won the league.

Don't think there's anything at all contradictory about doing that.  You're just buying players who represent good value for money, be it that players who're likely to increase in value or at much lower cost than you'd expect for a player of that quality (and who'll improve the squad).

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1106 on: January 26, 2021, 03:59:13 PM »
Dzeko is a very good player, though perhaps at the very tail end of his ability to play at the top level.  My concern with him isn't his age, but the "type" of forward he is - have we not developed a style of play that wouldn't necessarily work with him as a one-up-front?

He might offer something in a two maybe, and it might be someone like him gives us tactical flexibility from the bench, but I'm not sure we could play the same way with someone like him upfront?
Danny Ings.
Really if made a big move for him now we would be close to champions league finish. Same if we took on Abraham.
If Villa finish top 4 or even i can see us signing Danny ings. There has been with indicators saying he wants to play champions league football.
He would be a revelation and exactly type of goal scorer welcomed.  Has high work rate too.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #1107 on: January 26, 2021, 04:07:06 PM »
what about Dirty Diego Costa ?  what's he up to these days ?

UTV
The Doc

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1108 on: January 26, 2021, 04:08:40 PM »
When will Louie Barry be ready?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1109 on: January 26, 2021, 04:17:30 PM »
I think he’s benefit from lots of u23 games. I imagine we might start to see him get phased in next year.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal