collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 173739 times)

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #690 on: January 06, 2021, 04:40:56 PM »
In other news, looks like Snodgrass is set to retire. Shame.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #691 on: January 06, 2021, 05:04:07 PM »
The type of player being discussed is exactly the type of player than O'Neill should have been buying and introducing to the team to supplement Barry, Carew et al - rather than Heskey and endless new defenders.

They were good players, you just couldn't expect to be able to throw half a dozen of them in a new team at once with Lescott, Gabby and a moron for a manager and assume it would all just click.
So true.  MONs lack of imagination in the transfer market was an absolute joke.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #692 on: January 06, 2021, 05:07:44 PM »
In other news, looks like Snodgrass is set to retire. Shame.

Decent signing for the Baggies if it happens.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #693 on: January 06, 2021, 05:20:52 PM »
Love Snoddy and wish him well so long as the Baggies are still relegated.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #694 on: January 06, 2021, 06:51:24 PM »
Ayew, Veretout, Amavi, Adama and Gueye have all gone to have very good post Villa careers. I would absolutely conclude it was us and the fucking gong show we were as a club and not any of them.

I still think Adama is shit - one trick pony, and not a very good trick, either.

Me too. He's been absolutely piss poor every time I've seen the Dogheads this season.  Stands around, sprints once every five minutes or so, then stands around some more. Maybe tries a stepover every now and again.

Occasionally runs really fast in a straight line, invariably out of play. Looks increasingly like Genny from the later series of Gomorrah.

I think he’s regressed this season and he also looks a lot less effective without Raul in the middle. You can make the case of he list I presented he’s been the one who has progressed the least but last season he was being heralded and being considered for a national team call up.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #695 on: January 06, 2021, 09:26:02 PM »
Agent Snodgrass.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #696 on: January 06, 2021, 11:22:51 PM »
I actually it is an excellent deal for them. They’re still going down but he has precisely the right attitude and ability to give them some chance or hope.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #697 on: January 06, 2021, 11:28:12 PM »
Amavi - I seem to remember that 90% on here said he was shit when he played for us? (now some want him back, if he will goes it will be to Palace to be with his mate)

Also Jordan Veretout another one most on here could not wait to leave us!

Veretout seems to be flying this season for Roma, 8 goals in 16 appearances. No idea why they would be looking to leave him go but Italian clubs tend to swap players around quite regularly.

He was certainly talented, had a very good game up at Newcastle one night when I was there. Amavi, Gueye, Traore, even Ayew....maybe we let Paddy Reilly leave a bit quickly! 

We lost too many experienced players all in one go. Vlaar, Delph, Benteke who were also our three best players aswell.

Leave a huge void in the dressing room of experienced players who actually wanted to do a bit better than fight relegation battles every season.

If those three had stayed and we'd added some of Gana, Amavi, Veretout then we'd have climbed up to mid table I reckon whoever the manager was.

It's a bit like signing all the good players we did last summer....but at the same time selling Jack, McGinn and Luiz all in one go. I doubt we'd be anywhere near our current position in that scenario.

In more stable environments pretty much all of our 2015 intake have done pretty well elsewhere. You could see some of them had huge promise when they played for us.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #698 on: January 06, 2021, 11:31:42 PM »
I actually it is an excellent deal for them. They’re still going down but he has precisely the right attitude and ability to give them some chance or hope.

Hopefully he leads them up the garden path and flicks the V's at the very last minute. 

He can do better than that shower o' shite.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #699 on: January 06, 2021, 11:36:11 PM »
The problem with that team was the leadership vacuum right at the top of the club, the effects of which manifested themselves as really bad appointments to run the club.

That stuff trickles down. As a club we had no sense of vision beyond empty slogans, no thinking any. more long term than the next match, an ambition (17th) which was the lowest setting of the bar it is possible to have as a PL club and morons in charge of achieving that.

The problem of the 'young and hungry' era was that it was based entirely on wishful fantasy, and a misplaced belief that if you wanted something to work out, it magically somehow would.

This was then compounded by the fact that the imbalance between experienced proven quality and children was so bad, we relied on them all delivering, which was nuts.

Same thing with the young foreign players mentioned. The level of expectation that they'd save us whilst being managed by utter clownshoes was insane.

Thank God those days are over.

Shows the difference as we signed young and hungry this summer but two were best young players in their positions in the championship (Cash and Ollie) and the other was quality backup keeper desperate to be a number one somewhere.

Compare that to summer 2012 when we were signing players from Crewe, Chesterfield and Sheffield united (then league 1) and expecting them to instantly step up and be good premier leagues. Bizarre approach.

I'm actually surprised in 12-13 at least Weswood and Lowton did actually o.k and played decent parts in us staying up given how bad we were for most of that season particularly around this time of the year.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #700 on: January 07, 2021, 09:25:40 AM »
Ayew, Veretout, Amavi, Adama and Gueye have all gone to have very good post Villa careers. I would absolutely conclude it was us and the fucking gong show we were as a club and not any of them.

I still think Adama is shit - one trick pony, and not a very good trick, either.

Me too. He's been absolutely piss poor every time I've seen the Dogheads this season.  Stands around, sprints once every five minutes or so, then stands around some more. Maybe tries a stepover every now and again.

Occasionally runs really fast in a straight line, invariably out of play. Looks increasingly like Genny from the later series of Gomorrah.

I think he’s regressed this season and he also looks a lot less effective without Raul in the middle. You can make the case of he list I presented he’s been the one who has progressed the least but last season he was being heralded and being considered for a national team call up.
He's over bulked-up.

Reminds me of how we ruined Agbonlahor.

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #701 on: January 07, 2021, 10:39:14 AM »
The way the French players in particular were treated at that time seemed to me like petty racism from the thick British ladz. With Gabby and Micah Leading the way with the bigoted bantz in that pathetic Santa video.

They were skilled young footballers and from what I could tell they came into a dressing room of thickos that had no leadership. Pretty shameful really.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 10:48:04 AM by markeeeebeeee2005 »

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #702 on: January 07, 2021, 11:14:26 AM »
The way the French players in particular were treated at that time seemed to me like petty racism from the thick British ladz. With Gabby and Micah Leading the way with the bigoted bantz in that pathetic Santa video.

They were skilled young footballers and from what I could tell they came into a dressing room of thickos that had no leadership. Pretty shameful really.

Just watched that again ,  wow forgot how cringeworthy it was

What an insult

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #703 on: January 07, 2021, 11:33:49 AM »
I think that's partly why I haven't taken to Richards as a pundit.  His laugh brings back memories of that absolute car crash of a video.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #704 on: January 07, 2021, 12:03:16 PM »
And I though Richards was supposed to be good for team morale even when unfit and couldn’t play?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal