collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:24:14 AM]

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 172445 times)

Offline mcgrath_85

Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #465 on: December 29, 2020, 10:46:44 AM »
I still think we need another striker. If anything happens to Ollie then we’re in trouble.

Offline mcgrath_85

« Reply #466 on: December 29, 2020, 10:47:48 AM »
I wouldn’t worry to much about affecting players confidence by signing good players in their position

if we want to be a mainstay top 4/6 team it’s all part and parcel of it
if they can’t take a bit of healthy competition they’re not going to make it in the big time

bring in the best players you can find
all the top teams have very strong benches that’s what we must aspire to

All top teams and managers would not worry about this one bit.

Offline enigma

« Reply #467 on: December 29, 2020, 10:54:40 AM »
Preparing to make a bid for midfielder Matias Vecino at Inter according to reports. He's been there three years but not made much of an impact. At 29 doesn't fit the mould of young up and coming players either but would fill out the squad a bit.

Online Baldy

« Reply #468 on: December 29, 2020, 10:55:20 AM »
We really need a striker, we are an injury or suspension for Watkins away from being in an avoidable mess.

We have options.

Davis can hold onto the ball, bring others in to play and after lots more coaching/training might have improved his finishing. Deserves a chance.

McGinn has scored one in the last 33 games, we can play him in a more advanced midfield role and unleash his left foot.

A forward line of Trez, El Ghazi and Traore intermingling would put the shits up any defence.

Wesley on the road back. Voted young professional player of the year in Belgium in 2018, Brazilian international, not to be sniffed at.

We are better with Watkins but far from a mess without him.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #469 on: December 29, 2020, 11:00:40 AM »
Preparing to make a bid for midfielder Matias Vecino at Inter according to reports. He's been there three years but not made much of an impact. At 29 doesn't fit the mould of young up and coming players either but would fill out the squad a bit.
Are we going to use all of our war chest to get him?

Online GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #470 on: December 29, 2020, 11:02:30 AM »
Are we going to use all of our war chest to get him?
Naah, Loose change ;)

Online algy

« Reply #471 on: December 29, 2020, 11:08:00 AM »
For me, I don't think we *need* to buy anyone in January. I'd be tempted to bring in a midfielder to replace Kalinic in the squad / avoid Lansbury having to be in it. If a suitable one's available.

There's some areas we definitely need to look at in the summer (replacement for Taylor, and either a replacement or new (short) contract for Elmo at the very least), but if we're going to sign players I'd rather make it a worthwhile player (e.g. nabbing someone from a top continental side in that £20-50m bracket) than trying to spread it about too thinly on basically squad players. I don't see how we'll end up with better players than the ones we brought 2 summers ago  if we spread £40m-ish* over 3 players.

* guessing we could spend about £120m total in FFP terms, as last season, and we spent about £80m in the summer ... leaving about £40m.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 11:09:44 AM by algy »

Online dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #472 on: December 29, 2020, 11:28:46 AM »
We should go back to our old hunting ground and test Brentford for Toney. 16 goals in 21 appearances.

Online algy

« Reply #473 on: December 29, 2020, 11:32:23 AM »
We should go back to our old hunting ground and test Brentford for Toney. 16 goals in 21 appearances.
If we did do that, part of the terms and conditions should be that they have to wear our third kit and call themselves "Brentford Villa" since they're quite clearly our B team / feeder club.

Don't mind if our third kit is red & white stripes in their honour as part of that tho.

Online WassallVillain

« Reply #474 on: December 29, 2020, 11:36:09 AM »
It wouldn’t be a surprise to see Tarkowski from Burnley come in. May even be able to trade 1 or 2 of the squad with them as they are a bit strapped and the takeover is dragging on.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #475 on: December 29, 2020, 11:40:57 AM »
Rico Henry would be good as cover for the new much improved Matt Targett

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #476 on: December 29, 2020, 11:49:14 AM »
Rico Henry would be good as cover for the new much improved Matt Targett

Ambitious but I’d ask about the availability of sessengnon from Spurs. I read he was POTM at Hoffenheim so doing okay on loan.  Scope to improve and can play AML as well as LB so could/should be involved in the squad even if he cannot replace Tragett.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #477 on: December 29, 2020, 11:50:48 AM »
It wouldn’t be a surprise to see Tarkowski from Burnley come in. May even be able to trade 1 or 2 of the squad with them as they are a bit strapped and the takeover is dragging on.

I'd say no chance of that at all. He's Burnley's main saleable asset, and I can't see us spending the £30m+ they want for him, when Smith seems happy with Konsa/Mings/Hause.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #478 on: December 29, 2020, 11:53:32 AM »
We really need a striker, we are an injury or suspension for Watkins away from being in an avoidable mess.

We have options.

Davis can hold onto the ball, bring others in to play and after lots more coaching/training might have improved his finishing. Deserves a chance.

McGinn has scored one in the last 33 games, we can play him in a more advanced midfield role and unleash his left foot.

A forward line of Trez, El Ghazi and Traore intermingling would put the shits up any defence.

Wesley on the road back. Voted young professional player of the year in Belgium in 2018, Brazilian international, not to be sniffed at.

We are better with Watkins but far from a mess without him.

That's looking at things with massively rose-tinted glasses.  Davis is never, ever going to be a reliable option up front.  Best thing for him would be to go on loan, as others have said several times.  We don't know when Wesley is going to be back, or what state he'll be in when he does. None of El Ghazi, Trez or Traore are out and out forwards.  We need a back up for Watkins.

Online WassallVillain

« Reply #479 on: December 29, 2020, 12:02:11 PM »

I'd say no chance of that at all. He's Burnley's main saleable asset, and I can't see us spending the £30m+ they want for him, when Smith seems happy with Konsa/Mings/Hause.

I thought he was out of contract in the summer. If so no chance of £30m

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal