collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 173829 times)

Offline villa `cross the mersey

Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #450 on: December 28, 2020, 08:46:02 PM »
Test Chelsea with a bid for Tammy Abraham

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #451 on: December 28, 2020, 08:52:42 PM »
So, a replacement for Engels, preferably a youngster that'd be willing to be the long term answer but could fill in when necessary/playing The Boggies etc. 

A younger version of Elmo (although one that would be, given time could develop into the next Cafu).

A replacement for Taylor.

Maybe an attacking midfielder. 

Is Engels sharing the same taxi as Guilbert? Didn't know that.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #452 on: December 28, 2020, 10:49:13 PM »

Ollie Watkins works far harder across the whole width of the pitch than Abraham.  Unless you mean as Ollie's back-up?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #453 on: December 28, 2020, 10:55:07 PM »

Why would he swap their regular first-team for our bench?

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #454 on: December 28, 2020, 11:00:04 PM »
Sign a main forward for big darts this window and it won't exactly help Ollie's confidence.

He needs to be given at least this season leading the line before we start looking at that sort of deal.

That said, an older pro to come off the bench and give us something different would be grand. But it would need to be someone coming in who doesn't have an expectation of starting every game.

We've done well this year already. But convincing a quality player the best place for him is our bench  might be a hard sell.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #455 on: December 28, 2020, 11:37:58 PM »
I would hope that we could sign someone of Ollie's ability to be honest. He's brilliant but he needs to know that someone could take his spot. We are not at Chelsea's level of who we can attract, but when you consider their front line options are Giroud, Abraham and Werner then you can see there is room to have top players who offer something a bit different but where there should not be a steep drop off in ability.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #456 on: December 28, 2020, 11:46:36 PM »
We don't want to hinder Ollie's development or his confidence, but the fact is he's our only fit, decent striker at the moment, so an injury to him and we're back to a makeshift striker like we had to do last season, and while we could muddle through for a game or two no doubt, it's not really a good idea long term.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #457 on: December 28, 2020, 11:51:50 PM »
You can see how beneficial it has been to get competition in the other areas of the squad. We lost Barkley and Trez, for a short period Konsa and now Mings and the players that have stepped up have ensured has meant we haven't missed a beat. We don't have like for like replacements at LB or up front so I would be very concerned if Ollie got hurt or Targett and we needed to put in Davis or Taylor for any lenght of time. And Jack is irreplaceable but it would still be good to give him a rest every so often. January won't give us all of that but I would hope we could bring in one or two quality additions to cement our place in the top 6/7 this season.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #458 on: December 29, 2020, 08:47:20 AM »
I dont think any of the current top 6-8 teams will sell or certainly loan us any players as we are clearly a direct threat to them this season.
Which means taking gambles on foreign players who need to hit the ground running and we all know that is not easy, especially in Jan

Offline Jon H

« Reply #459 on: December 29, 2020, 09:37:41 AM »
According to reports there’s a guy called Costa who’s looking to get out of Athletico......😳

Offline Baldy

« Reply #460 on: December 29, 2020, 10:23:42 AM »
For use of a better word, our current 'B' Team:

Heaton

Guilbert/Elmo               Hause                         Engels              Taylor

Trez                    Marvelous                  Hourihane           Ramsay

Barklay (floating)

Davis

With Wesley to come back in a month or two.

Not a bad team of 'back ups' who may have to resign themselves to keeping the bench warm and hope for a good FA Cup run. All familiar with the Deano game plan, his demands and capable of stepping in when required.

I reckon we should save our coppers in January and push the boat out next summer to secure a permanent deal for Luiz, keep option open for Barklay (depending on fitness and form) and if finances permit, buy one or two new players who are capable for playing for the first team from day one. Not cheap, so don't waste money in January on stocking fillers.

A team is rewarded for it's collective goal tally and not the amount scored by an individual striker. If Watkins is unlucky enough to get injured. I believe we have enough goal scorers and flexibility in the current squad to compensate for his loss. Review position next summer but for now save our pennies. Just a thought.  :)

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #461 on: December 29, 2020, 10:35:52 AM »
I think we're in a strong position in that we don't need to sign anyone but we could upgrade in most areas. I think Engels, Taylor, Nakamba, Hourihane and Davis are the priority areas to upgrade by the start of next season, so any of those positions we could look to strengthen, should someone become available.

I'd like another winger too. Thauvin is on a free next Summer, he'd be a good option.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #462 on: December 29, 2020, 10:38:28 AM »
What's so good at the moment is that all of our first choice players are clearly enjoying their football and are doing really well, that has to be attractive to any potential signings doesn't it? That Barkley may have to wait to come back in is saying a lot.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #463 on: December 29, 2020, 10:40:44 AM »
We really need a striker, we are an injury or suspension for Watkins away from being in an avoidable mess.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #464 on: December 29, 2020, 10:43:02 AM »
I wouldn’t worry to much about affecting players confidence by signing good players in their position

if we want to be a mainstay top 4/6 team it’s all part and parcel of it
if they can’t take a bit of healthy competition they’re not going to make it in the big time

bring in the best players you can find
all the top teams have very strong benches that’s what we must aspire to

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal