collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 173752 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #420 on: December 27, 2020, 03:11:45 PM »
We absolutely need another forward that plays in a similar fashion to Ollie but also provides genuine competition for him. The drop off in ability of the current back ups is huge and if we lost Ollie for any length of time we would be in trouble. Wes isn’t back yet for a bit and just doesn’t provide what Ollie does in terms of running and pressing. And the less said about Davis the better.

Danny Welbeck might not have been a bad back up. He's someone I've always quite liked.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #421 on: December 27, 2020, 03:14:31 PM »
I'd either want to see an experienced head come in to add squad depth up top -as Big Cyrille did in 1991. 

Or a promising young player on perhaps a short term deal until Wes is up to speed.

Issue with the latter might be that with our stance on the five subs rule, Citeh, Liverpool and most of the other clubs who may have considered it will be less inclined to do so. Or offer it on the basis that we play ball with them on that issue.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #422 on: December 27, 2020, 03:36:23 PM »
I'd either want to see an experienced head come in to add squad depth up top -as Big Cyrille did in 1991. 

Or a promising young player on perhaps a short term deal until Wes is up to speed.

Issue with the latter might be that with our stance on the five subs rule, Citeh, Liverpool and most of the other clubs who may have considered it will be less inclined to do so. Or offer it on the basis that we play ball with them on that issue.
what would Liverpool and Citeh have to do with our recruitment?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #423 on: December 27, 2020, 04:15:35 PM »
Get in someone like Will Hughes to cover for the risk that Dougie may be leaving at the end of the season.

I was under the impression he was a different type, more box to box than a sitter and several rungs below Dougie’s level.
I’ve been thinking about Luiz’ replacement and Sander Berge was highly rated when Sheff U picked him up but again is he like for like?

Out for 4 months injured.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #424 on: December 27, 2020, 04:18:41 PM »
Get in someone like Will Hughes to cover for the risk that Dougie may be leaving at the end of the season.

I was under the impression he was a different type, more box to box than a sitter and several rungs below Dougie’s level.
I’ve been thinking about Luiz’ replacement and Sander Berge was highly rated when Sheff U picked him up but again is he like for like?

Out for 4 months injured.

He's definitely someone I'd be looking at in the  summer though when they go down. Would be a decent upgrade on Nakamba.

Offline frank black

« Reply #425 on: December 27, 2020, 05:18:16 PM »
We definitely need to consider replacing Luiz and perhaps January may be   the time to do it. Although there’s rarely good value in this window.
It’s probably going to be a quiet one for us I’d imagine.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #426 on: December 27, 2020, 05:38:17 PM »
I’d like to see us go big on a midfielder, like the Rennes player (or a realistic option) this January.  Barkley isn’t ours, Luiz is barely ours.  One, or both, are unlikely to be here next season so we should sign the best we can in the wonder kid, ideally a defensive midfielder, category. 

Personally I think we would be mad to spend £30m on a back-up for Watkins when we have Wes’ potential already in the squad.  At least give him a proper chance to fail before replacing him.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 05:40:07 PM by Dante Lavelli »

Online Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #427 on: December 27, 2020, 05:41:07 PM »
I’d like to see us go big on a midfielder, like the Rennes player (or a realistic option) this January.  Barkley isn’t ours, Luiz is barely ours.  One, or both, are unlikely to be here next season so we should sign the best we can in the wonder kid, ideally a defensive midfielder, category. 

Personally I think we would be mad to spend £30m on a back-up for Watkins when we have Wes’ potential already in the squad.  At least give him a proper chance to fail before replacing him.

Edouardo Camavinga?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #428 on: December 27, 2020, 05:49:37 PM »
Yangel Herrera would be a good one to get, been a regular at Granada last two years and they're in europa league knock out rounds.

Similar type to Doug in that he can play DM or box to box and slightly more physical.

I mention him as he's on loan there from......Man. City.

Get the feeling if they ever activate the Doug buy back they might offer him to us as a sweetner next summer.

Good article on him from 12 months back and he's improved since....

https://talksport.com/football/623505/yangel-herrera-man-city-midfielder-laliga-granada-replace-fernandinho/

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #429 on: December 27, 2020, 06:01:56 PM »
Ryan Gravenberch, the Ajax kid looks a good prospect, but the likes of Manure, Juventus, and Barcelona are also said to be interested.
There is also Boubakary Soumare of Lille who is a good box to box midfielder. Steve Bruce is looking to bring him in for Newcastle in the January window. A big lad at 6'2'' who has been likened to Patrick Viera.

Offline nigel

« Reply #430 on: December 27, 2020, 06:02:19 PM »
Yangel Herrera would be a good one to get, been a regular at Granada last two years and they're in europa league knock out rounds.

Similar type to Doug in that he can play DM or box to box and slightly more physical.

I mention him as he's on loan there from......Man. City.

Get the feeling if they ever activate the Doug buy back they might offer him to us as a sweetner next summer.

Good article on him from 12 months back and he's improved since....

https://talksport.com/football/623505/yangel-herrera-man-city-midfielder-laliga-granada-replace-fernandinho/

They might as well keep him and let us have Doug

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #431 on: December 27, 2020, 06:12:26 PM »
Further to both the Villa 3-0 Palace and Watkins performance. And as well the Villa 2-0 Palace both matches featuring  Benteke performances and what he pitifully offered across those two games should see him never evere mentioned or enter our thought ever again in any transfer window.
Good luck to him but he's certainly no addition to the Villa squad and pleased with have Watkins when 10 men and not Benteke leading the line.
What Benteke has consistently done is be offside but his name should never be considered again,  he was great back in the day but now we all move on from him

It’s unfathomable how good he was in that one season for us and how bad he has been in the last 5 seasons. Injuries, attitude or something else?

Great in his first season for us, but also pretty good for two more. That hattrick against QPR in his last season was too notch.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #432 on: December 27, 2020, 06:30:02 PM »
If, massive if, we had to lose Dougie, I quite like Bissouma at Brighton.
He could shine in a great team like ours.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #433 on: December 27, 2020, 06:46:23 PM »
I’ve read good things about Bissouma.  If Doug were to leave, then he’s the sort of player we could sign and could hit the ground running.

However in January we have the opportunity to sign a player we can integrate into the squad over the next six months, so a youngster\foreign etc so they’re better prepared for next season and will add value whether or not Doug leaves. 

Absolutely no idea who this player is by the way...

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #434 on: December 28, 2020, 10:36:21 AM »
If, massive if, we had to lose Dougie, I quite like Bissouma at Brighton.
He could shine in a great team like ours.

He's a good player and would be a good fit.  I have been banging on about a more physical player in the centre of the park for Villa for ages but I am not sure that is how Dean sees us going.  I think it gives us an option of going plan B when we are under the cosh.  Bissouma ticks a lots of those boxes for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal