collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 173625 times)

Offline Londonvilla

Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #345 on: December 22, 2020, 05:32:50 PM »
Lovre Kalinić joins Hajduk Split from Aston Villa

Croatia international Lovre Kalinic is returning to his home club Hajduk Split. The experienced 30-year-old goalkeeper joins Hajduk on loan from Aston Villa

https://www.croatiaweek.com/lovre-kalinic-joins-hajduk-split-from-aston-villa/

The first one out the door I hope he does well and then goes on to get a permanent move. It should be a good shop window as sometime things do not work

Offline Bryan

« Reply #346 on: December 22, 2020, 06:30:55 PM »
So I’d normally say we need to buy but I’d worry about disrupting the current squad

I guess left back competition? With AEG, Trez and Traore competing on the wing in less concerned. Maybe some young Barkley potential player?

On the Left back I always like Van Aarnholt at Palace but he seems to be injured a lot. Likewise Ben Davies at Spurs

Offline pelty

« Reply #347 on: December 22, 2020, 07:27:16 PM »
You could see that Luiz had the talent to be a success in his position, he was just inconsistent and playing with Nakamba which didn't help him at all.  I don't mind admitting that I just don't get it with Wesley.  He's not very quick and not very good in the air.  I hope I'm wrong and probably will be, but I don't really see what he offers.  Everything you get with Ollie; in pace, ability to run the wings, being good in the box and strength in the air, you just don't get with Wesley.  Like Joelinton at Newcastle, I just don't think he looks suited to the Premier League.

This is it for me, too. My issue with Wesley is that his hold-up play and ability to win balls in the air was borderline abysmal. Never mind their proficiency in front of goal, the difference in Watkins’ and Wesley’s respective ability to control the ball is significant.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #348 on: December 22, 2020, 08:00:23 PM »
I know that bloke Messi is getting on but reckon he could do a job for us for 12 months. Seems to have scored a few at the top level

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #349 on: December 22, 2020, 08:51:53 PM »
You could see that Luiz had the talent to be a success in his position, he was just inconsistent and playing with Nakamba which didn't help him at all.  I don't mind admitting that I just don't get it with Wesley.  He's not very quick and not very good in the air.  I hope I'm wrong and probably will be, but I don't really see what he offers.  Everything you get with Ollie; in pace, ability to run the wings, being good in the box and strength in the air, you just don't get with Wesley.  Like Joelinton at Newcastle, I just don't think he looks suited to the Premier League.

This is it for me, too. My issue with Wesley is that his hold-up play and ability to win balls in the air was borderline abysmal. Never mind their proficiency in front of goal, the difference in Watkins’ and Wesley’s respective ability to control the ball is significant.

It is....and I think Watkins first touch isn't up to scratch either....Wesley was genuinely awful for the majority of the games he played for us. That injury is unlikely to have improved him. It was a terrible tackle on him. Trez was awful for a lot of last season too but has improved a lot. He has an uncanny ability to get into great positions though that I'm not sure Wesley has.

Luiz always had the talent but his attitude and application were badly lacking. Maybe seeing the likes of Drinky starting ahead of him were the kick up the arse he needed. I'm surprised with Konsa's progression this season I must say. He had a horrible ball watching habit that he seems to have eradicated.

Online john2710

« Reply #350 on: December 22, 2020, 09:02:19 PM »
If Wesley is able to play again from January onwards & it’s a big if, then he’s likely to only be an option off the bench. It’s going to take him months to get up to speed.

Games like Burnley & Brighton we had next to no attacking options on the bench. We don’t have the luxury to be able to rest players like Watkins & Grealish.

If money is to be spent it needs to be on a forward, letting Davies go out on loan.

Only if Taylor, Elmo, Guilbert or Hourihane leave do we need to buy replacements & 3 of them are out of contact in June.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #351 on: December 22, 2020, 09:06:27 PM »
If Wesley is able to play again from January onwards & it’s a big if, then he’s likely to only be an option off the bench. It’s going to take him months to get up to speed.

Games like Burnley & Brighton we had next to no attacking options on the bench. We don’t have the luxury to be able to rest players like Watkins & Grealish.

If money is to be spent it needs to be on a forward, letting Davies go out on loan.

Only if Taylor, Elmo, Guilbert or Hourihane leave do we need to buy replacements & 3 of them are out of contact in June.

I think Hourihane will be off anyway in Jan, maybe as part of a swap deal for a championship player like Kings or Billings. We don't need three right backs either so one of Elmo or Guilbert will go. Smith hasn't been rotating the squad all that much so many of the fringe players may look for moves.

Offline pelty

« Reply #352 on: December 22, 2020, 09:14:50 PM »

It is....and I think Watkins first touch isn't up to scratch either....Wesley was genuinely awful for the majority of the games he played for us. That injury is unlikely to have improved him. It was a terrible tackle on him. Trez was awful for a lot of last season too but has improved a lot. He has an uncanny ability to get into great positions though that I'm not sure Wesley has.

Luiz always had the talent but his attitude and application were badly lacking. Maybe seeing the likes of Drinky starting ahead of him were the kick up the arse he needed. I'm surprised with Konsa's progression this season I must say. He had a horrible ball watching habit that he seems to have eradicated.

brontebilly, I am surprised you do not think much of Watkins' touch! I think it really is rather good. I am not saying he does not have the occasional touch that goes awry, but he controls the ball out of the air really well I think! Other than that, I cannot find much with which to disagree from the rest of your post.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #353 on: December 22, 2020, 11:08:50 PM »
Think Wes is expected back around March. We'll have another 15 or so games before then.

It's a really bad injury he had. Similar to Kodj who was never the same again and Kozak was completely done after his bad leg break. His scoring record in prem was actually better than Wes.

This season it's all about giving him sub minutes but wouldn't surprise me if we loaned him out next season to get his confidence/valuation back up again.

Maxi Gomez is a great shout, we were sort of linked with him the summer we went up.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #354 on: December 22, 2020, 11:29:40 PM »
The only major target I'd like to see in this window is a unit in the centre of midfield to bring in when we need to outmuscle teams, to help us win ugly in the games like Burnley where we dominate but are struggling to get over the line, I'm thinking more vieira big and quality though, top 6 standard enforcers rather than the Lerma and Billing style shithouses that some people have mentioned in the last few windows. Other than that quality younger players who are available cheaper than expected and maybe a short term cover option up front would be my aim.

mmm....good luck finding a Viera type midfield enforcer of top 6 standard
I’m sure there’s someone lurking in the European leagues as Viera himself was but it would be a punt as it is with most players that aren’t tried and tested in the prem league

I’m pretty happy with Luiz and McGinn in those rolls to be honest
I think the big enforcer type who will be hard but fair imposing but can play a bit is a mythical creature nowadays

I didn't say it was an easy player to find but it is the 1 obvious gap in the squad.

I’m not sure they even exist anymore

Actually they so do exist
Wilfred Ndidi plays at Leicester is the best defensive midfielder in the league.
 And he's the type who is an all round holding midfielder is highly effective and important to Leicester he helped them beat Spurs the other day and has better qualities than most in that role

So of that ilk yes.
Agree that Ndidi was wonderful against Spurs but a physical enforcer is now also a liabilty witness ,ex England international,Livermore's fortunes against us.Mobility is very important,which has been key to Kante's success in that role,and ability to see danger and play a disciplined role .A holding midfielder by definition should not be charging upfield,there is no need to be an all round player.Full backs who are comfortable on either flank could play that role.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #355 on: December 22, 2020, 11:36:04 PM »
Think Wes is expected back around March. We'll have another 15 or so games before then.

It's a really bad injury he had. Similar to Kodj who was never the same again and Kozak was completely done after his bad leg break. His scoring record in prem was actually better than Wes.

This season it's all about giving him sub minutes but wouldn't surprise me if we loaned him out next season to get his confidence/valuation back up again.

Maxi Gomez is a great shout, we were sort of linked with him the summer we went up.

Bold bit is wrong. Kozak got 4 in 18 (which is 1 in 4.5) where as Wesley got 5 in 21 which is 1 in 4.25.

Aside from that I think he'll be around the squad sooner than March but that it'll be a slow reintroduction. Even if he does miss another 14-15 games he'll still be back with a third of the season to play and with so many games to fit in I think he'll get plenty of game time. After that I don't think anyone will be considering loaning him out right now, that would only happen if his comeback is badly unsuccessful.

On his performances I've said many times that the biggest problem he had was how isolated he was. He was being asked to hold the ball up with 2-3 defenders against him whilst players closed a 30-40 yard gap and that's a hard job for an experienced striker who's well established in the team and league. For a young player trying to learn on the job it was too much to ask. Kodjia and Samatta faired no better than him pre-lockdown and after the restart we were playing a different way.

This season we've given Watkins much more support and I think Wesley would look a much better player in this team and I hope he'll show as much in the next 6 months.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #356 on: December 22, 2020, 11:51:50 PM »
It's asking a lot for Wesley to hit the ground running but if he does recover fully,he could be a useful foil for Watkins.His biggest weakness was his lack of aerial prowess but Ollie can compensate for that.
Otherwise he is powerful ,quite skilful and Smith must have seen strengths that he would sanction signing him over a prolific Maupay at Brentford.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #357 on: December 23, 2020, 01:04:16 AM »

Bold bit is wrong. Kozak got 4 in 18 (which is 1 in 4.5) where as Wesley got 5 in 21 which is 1 in 4.25.

Aside from that I think he'll be around the squad sooner than March but that it'll be a slow reintroduction. Even if he does miss another 14-15 games he'll still be back with a third of the season to play and with so many games to fit in I think he'll get plenty of game time. After that I don't think anyone will be considering loaning him out right now, that would only happen if his comeback is badly unsuccessful.

On his performances I've said many times that the biggest problem he had was how isolated he was. He was being asked to hold the ball up with 2-3 defenders against him whilst players closed a 30-40 yard gap and that's a hard job for an experienced striker who's well established in the team and league. For a young player trying to learn on the job it was too much to ask. Kodjia and Samatta faired no better than him pre-lockdown and after the restart we were playing a different way.

This season we've given Watkins much more support and I think Wesley would look a much better player in this team and I hope he'll show as much in the next 6 months.

With Kozak you're counting his Czech republic games and also carling cup in 13/14.

In 13/14 season he scored 4 league goals in 14 games and a few of those were subs so significantly less minutes than Wes who started every game for us and was hardly subbed.

Unless you're counting the handful of games he played in 15/16 but he was completely finished as top level player by then. I hope I'm wrong but fair say will happen to Wes.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #358 on: December 23, 2020, 04:59:29 AM »
There is allways an argument to strengthen areas of the team.
I have gone from wanting a central midfielder, cover at centre half, striker and left back.
Now we have seen AEG Hause Traore Elmo all come in and do ok.
Left back would appear the biggest weakness beyond Target it’s Taylor or Hause.

I am not convinced that Barkley is beyond his injury problems which has plagued his career for a few years now but that is unlikely to be addressed this window.
We are in a good situation in not having to buy someone in a hurry, so I would rather we only become active for the right player. Don’t see much business this January.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #359 on: December 23, 2020, 09:35:01 AM »
Back in for Josh King?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal