collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 173726 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #315 on: December 21, 2020, 05:20:49 PM »
Might have been a different story if Livermore didn't quite achieve what he set out to achieve

I stand correct on this but I'm sure he put in a tackle on him over on the other side of the pitch about 10 minutes before. 

He'd gone in heavily on him twice before the red, the first was in the build up for our first goal and as you say the second was about 10minutes before the red where he clattered him near the centre circle. It looked like a pretty obvious plan to target him to me, it was about as subtle as when Bruce did it with Hull a few years back.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #316 on: December 21, 2020, 05:50:34 PM »
The only major target I'd like to see in this window is a unit in the centre of midfield to bring in when we need to outmuscle teams, to help us win ugly in the games like Burnley where we dominate but are struggling to get over the line, I'm thinking more vieira big and quality though, top 6 standard enforcers rather than the Lerma and Billing style shithouses that some people have mentioned in the last few windows. Other than that quality younger players who are available cheaper than expected and maybe a short term cover option up front would be my aim.

We didn’t beat Burnley because we hadn’t got anyone who could finish not due to a lack of an imposing MF enforcer. That said signing someone of the ilk would be good but it can probably wait until next summer. I think we need more options upfront so we change our style if needs be to suit the opposition.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #317 on: December 21, 2020, 06:04:53 PM »
The only major target I'd like to see in this window is a unit in the centre of midfield to bring in when we need to outmuscle teams, to help us win ugly in the games like Burnley where we dominate but are struggling to get over the line, I'm thinking more vieira big and quality though, top 6 standard enforcers rather than the Lerma and Billing style shithouses that some people have mentioned in the last few windows. Other than that quality younger players who are available cheaper than expected and maybe a short term cover option up front would be my aim.

mmm....good luck finding a Viera type midfield enforcer of top 6 standard
I’m sure there’s someone lurking in the European leagues as Viera himself was but it would be a punt as it is with most players that aren’t tried and tested in the prem league

I’m pretty happy with Luiz and McGinn in those rolls to be honest
I think the big enforcer type who will be hard but fair imposing but can play a bit is a mythical creature nowadays

Online paul_e

« Reply #318 on: December 21, 2020, 06:15:18 PM »

I’m sure there’s someone lurking in the European leagues as Viera himself was but it would be a punt as it is with most players that aren’t tried and tested in the prem league

I think the big enforcer type who will be hard but fair imposing but can play a bit is a mythical creature nowadays

I didn't say it was an easy player to find but it is the 1 obvious gap in the squad.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #319 on: December 21, 2020, 06:30:16 PM »
Priority for me is a wide-right forward. But that's obvious.

How about that Traore fella?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #320 on: December 21, 2020, 06:38:00 PM »

I didn't say it was an easy player to find but it is the 1 obvious gap in the squad.

I’m not sure they even exist anymore

Online paul_e

« Reply #321 on: December 21, 2020, 07:17:12 PM »

I’m not sure they even exist anymore

There's a dutch guy I like the look of who isn't quite the player I mean but that I reckon could be developed into it -
- comes with the benefit of being a good free kick and penalty taker.

Online paul_e

« Reply #322 on: December 21, 2020, 07:26:28 PM »
Also I really rate Partey that Arsenal signed in the summer, him having a few niggly injuries and not being trusted by Arteta is a big part of why they're where they are in my opinion, he'll be their best midfielder by next season.

Online Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #323 on: December 21, 2020, 08:47:19 PM »
Do you think we will spend in January?

Left back and attacker, for me.

Look to promote a couple of our youth players before the end of the season.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #324 on: December 21, 2020, 10:11:59 PM »
With the collapse of the television deal for the French league a lot of clubs over there are going to be in dire financial straights, so there will be some good bargains available.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #325 on: December 21, 2020, 10:18:32 PM »
Also I really rate Partey that Arsenal signed in the summer, him having a few niggly injuries and not being trusted by Arteta is a big part of why they're where they are in my opinion, he'll be their best midfielder by next season.

Kondogbia would've been a good one to get given how cash strapped Valencia are but Atletico Madrid signed him as Partey's replacement for just 18m.

I like Yangel Herrera at Granada, very similar player to Luiz but a little taller. So similar that Man. City also own him and loan him out each year.

Could always get Gana back, don't think he's been playing much for PSG this season.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #326 on: December 22, 2020, 07:34:51 AM »
Still think we need another central defender. Hause has played well, but Engels is out of favour so not much cover. Someone less error prone that relegates Mings to backup center half would be great.

Also think we need another option up front to compete with Watkins, one that isn't Wesley who wasn't very good before a bad injury.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #327 on: December 22, 2020, 07:40:12 AM »

We didn’t beat Burnley because we hadn’t got anyone who could finish not due to a lack of an imposing MF enforcer. That said signing someone of the ilk would be good but it can probably wait until next summer. I think we need more options upfront so we change our style if needs be to suit the opposition.

Agree, no need to tinker with the midfield - who would you drop anyway? Problem was lack of finishing against Burnley. A striker on loan would be more effective, we're still light in numbers up top. Lange might surprise us yet with a big money transfer....
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 07:43:51 AM by Villafirst »

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #328 on: December 22, 2020, 09:43:54 AM »
At the risk of getting battered, I wouldn’t mind going for Dwight Gayle. He is something different to what we have, he scores goals and he’s out of contract in the summer (I think). Good off the bench.

Runs for cover...

Online paul_e

« Reply #329 on: December 22, 2020, 09:45:08 AM »

Agree, no need to tinker with the midfield - who would you drop anyway? Problem was lack of finishing against Burnley. A striker on loan would be more effective, we're still light in numbers up top. Lange might surprise us yet with a big money transfer....

Changing the midfield for a game like that changes the dynamic of how the game plays out, for example I think Luiz with his extra quality compared to Nakamba might not mean more chances but may well mean 1-2 better quality chances which sees us win the game.

This isn't about tinkering with the midfield or dropping anyone, it's about using this window to get a headstart on settling someone in for next season when I think it will be an important role to fill because it's the 1 glaring gap in the squad. I want us to be a point where we look at the bench and see 5-6 players who deserve to be starting games, I want to see people posting their XI on the pre-match thread and it creating a discussion because they haven't found a place for someone, that's what happens at clubs with top 4 level squads.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal