collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 173466 times)

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #150 on: December 11, 2020, 05:57:11 PM »
There was a Bremen game on TV recently and I watched it to see what he was all about, it was some time before his name was mentioned. I know its only one game but he didn't look as good as what we've got.
Serious question....he is no better than Trezeguet?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #151 on: December 11, 2020, 06:06:25 PM »
Hulk and Moraes up front. Jesus...the least Brazilian strikers ever. Just like Carlos Cuellar was the only Spaniard in 2008 with two left feet.

Online Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2020, 06:20:42 PM »
There was a Bremen game on TV recently and I watched it to see what he was all about, it was some time before his name was mentioned. I know its only one game but he didn't look as good as what we've got.

My thoughts too when I watched Bremen after the restart during the summer.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2020, 07:29:48 PM »

My thoughts too when I watched Bremen after the restart during the summer.

I’m not sure Actually watching a player is the best way of judging

there’s loads of better way like Stats for instance or Twitter, anything posted on social media is always a good guide, maybe football pundits have a view

this watching a player with your own eyes is all a bit overrated, old fashioned and downright dangerous

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2020, 07:42:53 PM »
Serious question....he is no better than Trezeguet?

No, and I think Trez should be first player in the first XI that should be replaced.

He looked physically weak and easy to disposses, and when he did have the chance to run at his marker he didnt have the pace to get away.

Could have been a bad game, everyone has them but it wasn't an impressive performance.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2020, 08:06:58 PM »
We get German football live over here and it’s a very solid league to watch. And I watched some Werder games and Rashica is just very good and very clever. It would be great if we could sign him.

Online Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #156 on: December 11, 2020, 08:43:08 PM »
I’d much prefer Sarr from Watford personally although I accept there could be quite a big difference in price.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2020, 12:13:20 AM »
Would love Weghorst from Wolfsburg, another two goals for him tonight.

Very good scoring record since he went there.

Online Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2020, 08:54:44 PM »
This might be a bit mad but I’d be going for Phil Foden - either on loan or with a serious bid. He can’t be happy watching citeh labour like they did yesterday and not getting a look in, and I think Jack and Ross could get in his ear with the promise of ripping up this league ahead of the Euro’s next summer. I think a front six of Ollie Jack Ross Foden McGinn Luis could win the league.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 09:03:00 PM by Lsvilla »

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2020, 09:16:22 PM »
This might be a bit mad but I’d be going for Phil Foden - either on loan or with a serious bid.

Bring in him and play him ahead of Grealish.

(Yes, it's mainly Mount, I know...)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 09:20:16 PM by Dave »

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #160 on: December 14, 2020, 10:02:14 AM »
Statement signings in January are very hard to make. Or they are very expensive. I don’t think we need a statement signing as such, more add players that mean the drop off from say a Barkley or Konsa doesn’t mean Hourihane or Elmo. We have to keep adding quality depth and one or two serious injuries we are in a pickle again.

Knowing how the club has prepared for best/worst case scenarios in the past, I have no doubt they have a list of targets for next summer if we over-achieve to be comfortably top-half, or even challenging for European places.  It would be a huge mistake not to try and get those players in January to capitalise on our start (depending on how the next few games - we could even be in the European mix on Boxing Day).

We might struggle to get guaranteed first-11 starters in January, but it would be great to add a bit more depth and have some proper cover on the bench that doesn't bring the level down too much when some of our first-11 are out.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2020, 10:18:15 AM »
Statement signings in January are very hard to make. Or they are very expensive. I don’t think we need a statement signing as such, more add players that mean the drop off from say a Barkley or Konsa doesn’t mean Hourihane or Elmo. We have to keep adding quality depth and one or two serious injuries we are in a pickle again.

Knowing how the club has prepared for best/worst case scenarios in the past, I have no doubt they have a list of targets for next summer if we over-achieve to be comfortably top-half, or even challenging for European places.  It would be a huge mistake not to try and get those players in January to capitalise on our start (depending on how the next few games - we could even be in the European mix on Boxing Day).

We might struggle to get guaranteed first-11 starters in January, but it would be great to add a bit more depth and have some proper cover on the bench that doesn't bring the level down too much when some of our first-11 are out.

A couple of signings however they're done are really needed for squad depth.  As long as we don't go down the Baston (pointless) and Drinkwater (actually made us worse) road again.  Hopefully they'll have learned from that but also from the period when we were playing El Ghazi as a lone striker.  We're an injury to Watkins in having to do similar again.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2020, 11:18:46 AM »
We'll likely only be playing one game a week and numerically we already have a squad of 25 so players would have to be moved on first so I'm not sure how essential it is to be bringing players in. Quality is still what counts and over time, we should start to see 16 quality players with youth filling in the rest of the squad.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #163 on: December 14, 2020, 11:39:47 AM »
My main worry is an injury to Watkins.

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #164 on: December 14, 2020, 11:43:49 AM »
My main worry is an injury to Watkins.

Yup - Wesley could be another couple of months from full fitness, and though Traore was spoken of as a centre-forward option when he signed, I've been distinctly underwhelmed by him so far.  I understand why we wouldn't want four centre forwards in the squad when we play with only one in the starting 11, but with the injuries we have the cover for Watkins is threadbare.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal