collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 172418 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2020, 02:58:43 PM »
I think Konsa could well become a Villa legend for years to come, he just needs somebody as good as he is to play next to.
I agree. There is something magical already about this lad.
Happy birthday by the way😊

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2020, 03:18:52 PM »
With Wes being back soon a striker not so pressing. For me a massive upgrade needed on Trez/El Ghazi and a decent CB to properly challenge Konsa and Mings. Hause not good enough and Engels made of glass.

A new left back would also be great but that can always wait till the summer

Is Engels injured or just still out of favour?

A bit of both I think.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2020, 03:23:53 PM »

As for losing his man,  given we seem to mark zonally most of the time surely this is a collective thing - I don't see how Mings is any more culpable for the goals we've been conceding than Konsa is(or the rest of the team for that matter).  Konsa has been great this season and is a real prospect, but we seem to be getting back to finding a scapegoat for all of our ills when in reality there is collective blame.  Last season Targett was the main focus of everyone's ire, now he appears to be more settled we've moved onto someone else.
I agree with this. Against BHA, the first goal was down to the defence as a whole being AWOL. The first goal that WetSpam scored was down to a lack of collective awareness of what was going on. Perhaps Martinez ain't quite the communicator we thought he is ...
It's corny but true: we win together / we lose together. We should be taking collective accountability for games.

Yes they are a group, but individual mistakes can and do affect matches.  An example is Trez missing that sitter.  Yes other players helped in the build up, but his dreadful attempt was his mistake alone.  Guilbert didn't do a lot wrong last year but the mangement decided that an upgrade was needed, and so we bought Cash.  I think Mings is the next weakest link, so hopefully we're looking at central defenders for January/the summer.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2020, 03:28:14 PM »
I really like Mings and will be forever grateful in his role getting us to where we are today, he was a major signing and also his appearance at the train station in full kit was gold. I do think though we really need an upgrade, hate to say it though. I thought he was going to be a leader at the back for us but he does make me very nervous in this league.

It's amazing to think we're saying this with an England International at the moment, but there we are, we're on the up I suppose.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2020, 05:06:55 PM »
I think Konsa could well become a Villa legend for years to come, he just needs somebody as good as he is to play next to.

Cheer mate!  It's not until Friday though.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2020, 06:53:29 PM »
I would have liked to see a Jonny Evans-type figure come in last summer, as good as our business was overall.

My thinking at the time was that would be to challenge Konsa or whoever alongside Mings. But the Emperor shouldn't be a guaranteed pick either.

We're not talking about Michah Richards-level lack of concentration or positional awareness. But it's an area he needs to improve.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2020, 07:35:18 PM »
With the Euros upcoming, there must be a number of decent experienced pros looking for game time and/or short term deals. Giroud is a good shout but hopefully a few others could be considered.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2020, 08:58:36 PM »
Mings is one of Deano's undroppables (ahead of McGinn, behind Jack - who, even in wretched form, you'd have to play given his talent to turn a game in a few seconds). There's no way we'll sell him for the foreseeable unless he acts up and a "top six" club somehow comes in for him.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2020, 09:30:35 PM »

Cheer mate!  It's not until Friday though.
Oh no slightly misled by TV's post the other day. Well you better make it to Friday otherwise I will never forgive myself.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2020, 10:19:01 PM »
There isn't a single player on that list I'd be interested in or who'd improve our squad significantly, not one of them would come in as a starter for me (although in the case of Giroud that's only down to his age).

I'd  have Giroud as our centre forward central striker option.
Watkins wide forward.
Giroud scored for fun tonight champions league but will he start vs Leeds home weekend ?

Needs game time let's make an 18 month deal for him.

I like Giroud but he's just too old now, I doubt he can play week in week out anymore.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2020, 11:12:03 PM »
With Wes being back soon a striker not so pressing. For me a massive upgrade needed on Trez/El Ghazi and a decent CB to properly challenge Konsa and Mings. Hause not good enough and Engels made of glass.

A new left back would also be great but that can always wait till the summer

Is Engels injured or just still out of favour?

He hasn't played a game for 9 months now so you wouldn't really want to throw someone with that lack of match fitness into a game v Adama and co if Mings or Konsa picks up a knock in next week.

No idea what's going on and I get the feeling we'll see Wes play for us again before Engels. Can see him going out on loan in January.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2020, 11:16:50 PM »
Ben Davies at Preston might be one to look at as up and coming CB. Left footed and can play in 4 or back 3. He's out of contract at end of season and talk of Celtic,Newcastle, Leicester and a couple of Bundesliga teams all had a look at him.

Could be one to come in to develop over six month period like Konsa has done.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2020, 12:47:35 AM »
Not sure we will see much activity in the January window unless we move some out.  I think in the starting XI we need a better quality option on the right, though I doubt we will see that until one or even both of El Ghazi and Trezeguet go. 

I still think we need a really strong midfielder to go alongside Luiz, but I think we would have to get Lansbury and possibly another off the wage bill first.  We need better full back options than Taylor and Elmohamady to challenge Cash and Targett, but again probably won't see that until the former two go. 

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2020, 08:25:27 AM »
Not sure we will see much activity in the January window unless we move some out.  I think in the starting XI we need a better quality option on the right, though I doubt we will see that until one or even both of El Ghazi and Trezeguet go. 

I still think we need a really strong midfielder to go alongside Luiz, but I think we would have to get Lansbury and possibly another off the wage bill first.  We need better full back options than Taylor and Elmohamady to challenge Cash and Targett, but again probably won't see that until the former two go.
I got the impression from the Wes Esens/Nas Sawaris article in the athletic (see nswe thread) that we intentionally didn't blow our budget in the summer so we'd have a little spare cash in January.

Lansbury,  Elmo & Taylor are all (I think) out of contract in the summer anyway, so could see us potentially bringing in players to replace them in January if the price was right.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2020, 12:28:22 PM »
That flying Fulham left back Antonio Robinson very good potential.
Gets forward well, pace just needs bit more work on final ball. Can really develop.
I think if Fulham ge relegated we should go for him

He's a USA international born and raised in England had academy upbringing at Everton.

Fulham signed him from Wigan in summer window but he was wanted by Milan last January window.

I liked what I've seen in essence as he's not afraid to come forward.
Currently been keeping Joe Bryan out of the team staring the last 7 matches, didn't play against Villa or any of the first 3 matches which were lost.

I'll be interested to see how he gets on vs Man City and Liverpool and if he has a general decent season then he's someone who could come into replace Neil Taylor as Robinson at 23 with a season experience behind him could be a decent option.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal