collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 172381 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2020, 01:07:24 AM »
Plus isn't he injured a lot? We already have Davis who can't get out of bed without clobbering himself off the headboard.

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2020, 08:38:34 AM »
This January window is likely to be a bit chaotic, with clubs getting used to the new rules, such as work permits now being required for EU players. The path of least resistance would be to look at the Championship or Scotland. TBH, I have not followed these leagues at all this season so have no idea if there are any players worth bothering with.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2020, 08:58:37 AM »
The path of least resistance would be to look at the Championship or Scotland. TBH, I have not followed these leagues at all this season so have no idea if there are any players worth bothering with.

Back to the Xi tactic of glancing at the Championship top scorers list and just chucking money at it I reckon.

Ivan Toney come on down.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2020, 09:02:30 AM »
There isn't a single player on that list I'd be interested in or who'd improve our squad significantly, not one of them would come in as a starter for me (although in the case of Giroud that's only down to his age).
I think Charlie Taylor is a decent fullback; but whether he's a significant upgrade is debatable.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2020, 09:25:57 AM »
The path of least resistance would be to look at the Championship or Scotland. TBH, I have not followed these leagues at all this season so have no idea if there are any players worth bothering with.

Back to the Xi tactic of glancing at the Championship top scorers list and just chucking money at it I reckon.

Ivan Toney come on down.

We still kinda do it. If we offer £25m to Brentford for Toney I'll be a bit pissed off.

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2020, 10:35:59 AM »
If we went for Edouard from Celtic, would he need a work permit? Can we find out which players have Settled Status?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2020, 10:45:48 AM »
There isn't a single player on that list I'd be interested in or who'd improve our squad significantly, not one of them would come in as a starter for me (although in the case of Giroud that's only down to his age).
I think Charlie Taylor is a decent fullback; but whether he's a significant upgrade is debatable.

He'd be an upgrade on our own Taylor as the backup but I don't think he'd improve our 11 or put a massive amount of pressure on Targett to improve. That's my problem with the whole list, there's no one on there that I look at and think they'd come in and be a first choice, and every one of them is either at or past their prime (oh, except Gray, he's just completely failed to deliver on the promise he had as a teenager and will be lucky to get another premier league club).

Offline sid1964

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2020, 10:50:20 AM »
If we were looking for an upgrade on Keinan then I would look for us to sign Woodrow from Barnsley - looks like a proper centre forward

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2020, 11:01:38 AM »

He'd be an upgrade on our own Taylor as the backup but I don't think he'd improve our 11 or put a massive amount of pressure on Targett to improve. That's my problem with the whole list, there's no one on there that I look at and think they'd come in and be a first choice, and every one of them is either at or past their prime (oh, except Gray, he's just completely failed to deliver on the promise he had as a teenager and will be lucky to get another premier league club).

Not every player needs to be an immediate upgrade though.  We need a back up to Watkins as I've said before.  There's still no sign of Wesley being ready for a return, and Davis simply can't be relied on, either to score goals or simply stay fit.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 11:44:44 AM by Risso »

Offline paul_e

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2020, 11:15:22 AM »

Not every player needs to be an immediate upgrade though.  We need a back up to Watkins as I've said before.  There's still no sign of Wesley being ready for a return, and Davis simply can't be relied on, either to score goals or simply stay it.

I agree, but what's the point of signing older players if they aren't? If you want players to create pressure from behind the current 11 then you do it by buying players who will improve quickly and that means looking at the 21-25 age range which is where you generally get those big bumps in performance. If you sign players older than that then they need to come in to compete for the shirt immediately, pushing the current starter into a rotation/cover role (like Barkley with Hourihane for example). Signing 27+ aged players to sit on the bench is the main reason MoN wasted so much money and opportunity when we could've broken into the top 4 with a better transfer policy and we definitely wouldn't have had a decade of shit trying to recover from the problems he created either.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2020, 11:17:48 AM »
Emi buendia from norwich for trez's place.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2020, 11:42:00 AM »
If we were looking for an upgrade on Keinan then I would look for us to sign Woodrow from Barnsley - looks like a proper centre forward
no kids we could bring through, Sid? Genuine qn

Offline Risso

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2020, 11:46:40 AM »
I agree, but what's the point of signing older players if they aren't? If you want players to create pressure from behind the current 11 then you do it by buying players who will improve quickly and that means looking at the 21-25 age range which is where you generally get those big bumps in performance. If you sign players older than that then they need to come in to compete for the shirt immediately, pushing the current starter into a rotation/cover role (like Barkley with Hourihane for example). Signing 27+ aged players to sit on the bench is the main reason MoN wasted so much money and opportunity when we could've broken into the top 4 with a better transfer policy and we definitely wouldn't have had a decade of shit trying to recover from the problems he created either.

Agreed, but I'd take older players on loan for the rest of the season in certain circumstances.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2020, 11:59:13 AM »

Agreed, but I'd take older players on loan for the rest of the season in certain circumstances.

Absolutely, older players to come in for a specific job are definitely not something we should be against, just not signed on permanent deals as squad filler. Thankfully everything from the club suggests they have exactly the same concerns as me in that regard so I doubt we'll see those sort of signings.

If Wesley is still struggling for fitness I'd be all for a Giroud or Antonio on a short deal to fill the gap but only for half a season, longer than that and you're just kicking a problem down the road for next year which has bene our strategy far too often in the past. Martinez is the sort of signing I want us concentrating on, a player with plenty of years ahead of him who's ready to go 'out of the box' and improves our first 11. Look at Man City, the 2 big signings that built their success were Kompany and Aguero who have both given most of their career to the club, Kompany in particular came in very early and became the leader of their rise to the top.

Offline Risso

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2020, 12:06:54 PM »
I think Konsa could well become a Villa legend for years to come, he just needs somebody as good as he is to play next to.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal