collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Leeds United Pre match thread - Oct 23rd - 8pm  (Read 18684 times)

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
Re: Aston Villa vs Leeds United Pre match thread - Oct 23rd - 8pm
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2020, 11:23:44 AM »
Interesting to look at the line-ups from the last time we played them, the 1-1 at their place with that goal.

Casilla, Ayling, Jansson, Cooper, Dallas, Phillips, Hernandez, Forshaw, Klich, Harrison, Bamford

6 of those are still in their starting line-up, while Hernandez came on off the bench and Cooper would have been starting had he not been injured.

Steer, Elmo, Taylor, Mings, Tuanzebe, Grealish, Hourihane, McGinn, El Ghazi, Kodjia, Green

Only Mings, Grealish and McGinn still starters for us.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2020, 11:26:50 AM »

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2020, 11:26:57 AM »
I see Gabby's been ruffling a few feathers on Twitter. After last night's result he's tweeted "Leeds are a myth. Now perhaps people can get out of Bielsa's arse"
Apparently aimed at tv & radio pundits who seem to be having a Leeds love in.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2020, 11:27:01 AM »
2-1 Villa win.

Online Baldy

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2020, 11:32:11 AM »
We will match Leeds for effort and our quality will shine through. 2-0 to the Villa.  :)

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2020, 11:55:44 AM »
They did seem to get a bit of a second wind towards the death, but around the 67 minute mark they looked noticeably worn down, including mentally. Their passing got very sloppy. I've just had a quick look, and only one of their goals so far has been scored in the last quarter of games. And I know I've not watched their games and I know we've not exactly scored loads past the hour mark, but we have still very much looked a threat late on in all our games so far. Show their work rate due respect early on, but there's rewards to be had later on, I'm certain.

Offline Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2020, 12:41:35 PM »
Who is the ref for this one? Because I can see Jack getting a good kicking from Ayling. Just hope the ref clamps down on any fouls quickly.

2-0 Jack and Ollie.
Not announced until later today.
Paul Tierney with Stuart Attwell on VAR.  Cross everything Tierney doesn’t go down in the warm-up as Mike Dean is fourth official.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2020, 12:43:50 PM »
Who is the ref for this one? Because I can see Jack getting a good kicking from Ayling. Just hope the ref clamps down on any fouls quickly.

2-0 Jack and Ollie.
Not announced until later today.
Paul Tierney with Stuart Attwell on VAR.  Cross everything Tierney doesn’t go down in the warm-up as Mike Dean is fourth official.

Tierney's OK. Could be worse. Could be 'Sorry did I miss a foul?' Coote and Oliver.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2020, 01:06:07 PM »
I really dislike Leeds and their scummy fans, so really hope we win this one. It goes back to the LC final when a load of them (10 or so older heads tried to start trouble with 4 of us fairly young lads at a bus stop near the ground. Nothing too bad happened, but I’ve always hated them since that day. They’re on a par with Man U, blues and Coventry for me. So come on Villa FTF!

I get and share Man U and Blues but who are Coventry? Never heard of 'em.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2020, 01:26:32 PM »
Our confidence is sky high, our best 11 are all fit and well so the portents are good.

Leeds will be at us early but weather that and we should be OK.

Hope ref gets on top of any Grealish targeting early.

2-1 Villa.
I can guarantee you right now that Jack won't get any protection from the referee. Castagne must've clobbered him 20 times the other night before the ref finally did the right thing. It's my biggest fear for us this season. All the clobberings Jack takes will eventually take their toll and we will lose him for a chunk of the season.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2020, 01:29:57 PM »
As a long-term resident of Yorkshire, it almost goes without saying that this is a MASSIVE game. I have several Leeds-supporting friends who are reasonable and decent folk, but I have been to enough games at E Road to know that the vast majority of their supporters are total *******.
They are a tough team to grind down and a draw would not surprise me; but, we have enough quality to make history.

And, we need to accumulate as many points as we can before the injuries, suspensions and form-drops start.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2020, 01:54:53 PM »
Our confidence is sky high, our best 11 are all fit and well so the portents are good.

Leeds will be at us early but weather that and we should be OK.

Hope ref gets on top of any Grealish targeting early.

2-1 Villa.
I can guarantee you right now that Jack won't get any protection from the referee. Castagne must've clobbered him 20 times the other night before the ref finally did the right thing. It's my biggest fear for us this season. All the clobberings Jack takes will eventually take their toll and we will lose him for a chunk of the season.

I'd like to see Mings in the referees ear from the start on this on Friday. Sure Jack buys frees, some of the very soft/dive variety but lots of others are just fouls and bad ones at that. There was one early on the other night where Castagne lashed at the back of his calves/achilles with his left foot with no chance of getting the ball. If he got a yellow for that, then he doesn't attempt to get close to Jack for the rest of the game. Odoi was at the same craic against Fulham, all well and good commentators joking about the number of fouls on Jack but it's time some our more experienced players got on the refs case a bit more. Something Glenn Whelan was very good at.
If Ayling gets a yellow early Friday night, he will be very short odds to get a red.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2020, 01:58:07 PM »
As a long-term resident of Yorkshire, it almost goes without saying that this is a MASSIVE game. I have several Leeds-supporting friends who are reasonable and decent folk, but I have been to enough games at E Road to know that the vast majority of their supporters are total *******.
They are a tough team to grind down and a draw would not surprise me; but, we have enough quality to make history.

And, we need to accumulate as many points as we can before the injuries, suspensions and form-drops start.

Going to watch this in the pub with a couple of Villa mates and one Leeds supporter.  The Leeds lad is one of the nicest people you could ever wish to meet to be fair, which I put down to him having lived away from there for 20 years.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2020, 02:11:00 PM »
Am now officially spoiled and would be disappointed if we didn't win this. They always play the same way with that high line and that pressure on the ball, but we can absolutely beat that press with the range of passing and and dynamic running in the team.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2020, 02:23:09 PM »
The only good thing about Leeds is Bielsa.

Really want to win this one so Dean and the boys can make history. A draw would be a little disappointing but not the end of the world...my how perspectives have changed :)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal