collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[Today at 11:28:45 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Premier League reform proposals  (Read 34738 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Premier League reform proposals
« Reply #345 on: October 15, 2020, 10:15:47 AM »
So the idea was booted out 20-0 I heard?

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #346 on: October 15, 2020, 10:18:01 AM »
I'm glad it was booted out.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #348 on: October 15, 2020, 11:18:05 AM »

20-0 ???  what about the two shithouses that are behind it ?

UTV
The Doc

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #349 on: October 15, 2020, 11:22:31 AM »
Henry and the Glazers don't have the first idea about the way football's viewed in this country, which is why they were thrashing out voting blocs and world rights in the first place. To them, it's a product you package and sell for as much as you can because your product is the most marketable. In their eyes, why wouldn't they?

Sport in Britain is generally run like a corner shop, for all of its supposed stardust. That's one of the reasons we feel our clubs belong to us. But for a billionaire owner the club belongs to the market first and foremost. Our owners have done well by us but I wonder if they feel the same. I reckon Arsenal and Spuds do.

Anyway, this will be back and at every stage, the wiggle room will get smaller and smaller. First they used the sugared pill of an EFL bailout, it'll be some other idea next which will get a few more clubs agreeing to it until they get their way.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #350 on: October 15, 2020, 11:50:45 AM »
Why would you put forward a proposal and then once it's put to the vote, vote against it yourself? The whole thing has been completely mad.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #351 on: October 15, 2020, 01:12:33 PM »
Why would you put forward a proposal and then once it's put to the vote, vote against it yourself? The whole thing has been completely mad.

I suspect they were told they were arseholes and that they'd better decide to work with, not against the other clubs and the Premier League otherwise there would be some repercussions.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #352 on: October 15, 2020, 03:00:23 PM »
If there is any proposal that involves abolishing the league cup they can do one - there are soo many meaningless champions league or Europa league fixtures....if the so called big clubs want less football they can go lobby uefa to reduce those fixtures and leave the league cup alone.  Alternatively they play the kids but have no facility to switch in first teamers for the later rounds.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #353 on: October 15, 2020, 03:03:18 PM »
If there is any proposal that involves abolishing the league cup they can do one - there are soo many meaningless champions league or Europa league fixtures....if the so called big clubs want less football they can go lobby uefa to reduce those fixtures and leave the league cup alone.  Alternatively they play the kids but have no facility to switch in first teamers for the later rounds.
This.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #354 on: October 15, 2020, 04:13:37 PM »
Confusing. That means Poo and Manure voted against their own Project?

Bitten off more than they could chew.

We all know what they want though.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #355 on: October 15, 2020, 04:17:15 PM »

Totally agree. Something needs to be done on clubs using youth etc in part then further they get into the competition they draft in your de bruynes etc
If they dont want to play in it cause of being in europe etc the more the merrier

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #356 on: October 15, 2020, 04:45:32 PM »

Totally agree. Something needs to be done on clubs using youth etc in part then further they get into the competition they draft in your de bruynes etc
If they dont want to play in it cause of being in europe etc the more the merrier

And while we are at they can come in at round one if they are playing the kids

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #357 on: October 15, 2020, 06:01:00 PM »
Just seen a piece describing how the EFL has rejected a £50m rescue package from the PL. Something doesn't sit right with this. I wish we lived in a society where the rich subsidised the poor, and that we didn't have a Tory government to which such a concept was an anathema.

We don't though. The (no doubt uber-capitalist) owners/chairs of lower league clubs have a sense of entitlement that I guarantee doesn't extend to any other form of poverty. I do think the PL ought to bail them out, but I don't understand why the Hayekians in government and at the head of these businesses also think that.

Offline Hockley Lion

• GM : 24.05.2022
« Reply #358 on: October 15, 2020, 07:03:49 PM »
If the fixture list needs to be reduced for these poor clubs they can start by reserving the Champions League for champions.

How do teams in 2nd, 3rd and 4th place get in. By what measure are they champions? It's ridiculous that any team not finishing first in their league could actually win it against a true champion. What if for instance a champion from a lower European league got to the semifinals or even the finals only to be beaten by Man City, Chelsea or any other super rich European runner up in their own league. It just stinks really.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #359 on: October 15, 2020, 07:20:06 PM »
If the fixture list needs to be reduced for these poor clubs they can start by reserving the Champions League for champions.

How do teams in 2nd, 3rd and 4th place get in. By what measure are they champions? It's ridiculous that any team not finishing first in their league could actually win it against a true champion. What if for instance a champion from a lower European league got to the semifinals or even the finals only to be beaten by Man City, Chelsea or any other super rich European runner up in their own league. It just stinks really.
Just Champions winning it on home/away knockout (as it was when Villa won it). Much tougher than a league.

I bet there are examples of clubs that went to the CL Final who would have been knocked out much earlier on this basis.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 07:37:35 PM by Big Ming »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal