collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[Today at 11:28:45 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Premier League reform proposals  (Read 34735 times)

Offline ian c.

• GM : 19.06.2024
Re: Premier League reform proposals
« Reply #315 on: October 14, 2020, 04:40:54 PM »
Apparently they have been forced into a climbdown.

Guardian

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #316 on: October 14, 2020, 04:42:36 PM »
Unanimous rejection at today’s meeting.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #317 on: October 14, 2020, 04:54:33 PM »
Lying wankers.

I refer to Liverpool and ManUre trying to deny they had done anything. Twats.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 04:57:45 PM by Drummond »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #318 on: October 14, 2020, 05:01:58 PM »
I don't see how they could be part of the FA if they don't play in the English system, it's totally different to the PL being set up. A super league won't happen for a number of reasons but in the hypothetical scenario of it happening they wouldn't be FA clubs. With no English league status they wouldn't qualify for the FA Cup for example.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #319 on: October 14, 2020, 05:12:27 PM »
Yeah ok, I assume what you wanted was to be told to fuck off and thought of as a right ****** by pretty much everyone in the game and by most fans of all clubs.

Those behind the Big Picture Project did not see Wednesday’s developments as a defeat. Sources close to John W Henry said that the Liverpool owner felt he had got “pretty much everything we wanted” in agreeing to an urgent review of the structures of the game. “We put forward proposals and they’re now being considered”, the source said. Expectations are that the review would include the EFL and would be completed before the sale of a new round of broadcast rights. The process of putting rights out to tender for the period 2022-2025 had been expected to be before the end of this year.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #320 on: October 14, 2020, 05:24:33 PM »
we haven’t got a top 6 anyway

we have a top 2
Liverpool and Man Utd are massive global brands that eclipse everyone else in the premier league

there is a chasm between Spurs, Chelsea Man City and Man Utd or Liverpool
There’s not a chasm between Spurs Man City etc and Villa, Everton or even Leeds in fact you could argue it’s the other way round or could be given time

it’s a top 2 (Man U & L’pool)
Then Arsenal
Then about 6 clubs including us fighting for position, depending on money and performance at any given time

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #321 on: October 14, 2020, 05:39:15 PM »
I have a bad feeling they will be back with this shit. Ditch the voting changes and claim it shows evidence that they have listened to the fans.

Come back to try to fuck over the League Cup and possibly reduce the Premier League while they're at it.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #322 on: October 14, 2020, 05:44:48 PM »
I have a bad feeling they will be back with this shit. Ditch the voting changes and claim it shows evidence that they have listened to the fans.

Come back to try to fuck over the League Cup and possibly reduce the Premier League while they're at it.

It's definitely not over.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #323 on: October 14, 2020, 05:45:58 PM »

On the league cup stuff, I'd be fine with clubs in Europe being excluded from it so long as it kept the Europa league place for the winners (and reverted it back to going to the runners up if the winners get into Europe via the league). Having European games in the same nights as league cup games makes a lot more sense than now and most premier league clubs don't play a main team until the QF at the earliest anyway.

Offline malckennedy

« Reply #324 on: October 14, 2020, 05:46:25 PM »
It’s the voting rights changes that are the real issue. I think they’ve lost that.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #325 on: October 14, 2020, 06:06:43 PM »
As it was a unanimous vote I presume Man U and Liverpool voted against the proposals they put forward.

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #326 on: October 14, 2020, 06:15:19 PM »
After an archive search I've found the following words of  William McGregor ,published in an article in the Sunderland Echo , 31 January 1903 - they seem relevant to what's going on over a century later. I can't attach the extract so I've reproduced it in quotes here :

"There was no idea (when the League was founded) that the League should ever become a legislative body. An organisation which has merely the interests of its own members at heart cannot legislate for the welfare of the pastime as a whole, and those who would seek to give the League functions which it did not originally claim are not acting in the best interests of football as a whole."

He went on to say :

" Although I was at one time in favour of The Federation of Leagues I did not shut my eyes to the fact that they might be tempted to usurp the powers of the Football Association, which would never allow a body comprising so many powerful clubs to amalgamate in this way "

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #327 on: October 14, 2020, 06:35:12 PM »

On the league cup stuff, I'd be fine with clubs in Europe being excluded from it so long as it kept the Europa league place for the winners (and reverted it back to going to the runners up if the winners get into Europe via the league). Having European games in the same nights as league cup games makes a lot more sense than now and most premier league clubs don't play a main team until the QF at the earliest anyway.

It’s already lost the Europa League place hasn’t it? It’s now got entry to the Europa Conference or whatever the third tier competition is called.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #328 on: October 14, 2020, 08:04:50 PM »

I don't  think the League Cup runners up ever got the place in Europe. If the winners had already qualified it went to the a league placing.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #329 on: October 14, 2020, 08:06:40 PM »
Yep, LC runners up have never been given a European spot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal