collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[Today at 11:28:45 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[Today at 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[Today at 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Premier League reform proposals  (Read 34737 times)

Offline jwarry

Re: Premier League reform proposals
« Reply #300 on: October 14, 2020, 11:36:00 AM »
I suspect the so called big 6 will regret not trying to bring us in to their fold.  They could probably bully other clubs but not us!

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #301 on: October 14, 2020, 11:39:15 AM »
I suspect the so called big 6 will regret not trying to bring us in to their fold.  They could probably bully other clubs but not us!

Well yeah along with Everton (properly) Newcastle Leeds Wolves Leicester and West Ham

Offline bill

« Reply #302 on: October 14, 2020, 11:47:28 AM »
A breakaway league would be a non starter I think. The FA would simply ban any competing clubs from European competitions, and any players would lose their right to be picked for Internationals, for any country. It was tried in cricket with the Kerry Packer experiment. It failed.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #303 on: October 14, 2020, 11:49:12 AM »
A breakaway league would be a non starter I think. The FA would simply ban any competing clubs from European competitions, and any players would lose their right to be picked for Internationals, for any country. It was tried in cricket with the Kerry Packer experiment. It failed.
If the breakaway involved the top 6 clubs then I don't think the FA would dare take those sanctions.  But it's hypothetical as there's no chance of that happening.

Offline bill

« Reply #304 on: October 14, 2020, 11:55:23 AM »
Fifa and UEFA would back the FA. Why wouldn’t they “dare” to protect their interests. The over inflated self importance of some so called big clubs would be exposed to the reality that the FA can pull their plug out quite easily.

Offline danno

« Reply #305 on: October 14, 2020, 12:08:47 PM »
UEFA came out pretty strongly against the idea of a super league as recently as last year.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #306 on: October 14, 2020, 12:27:27 PM »
Fifa and UEFA would back the FA. Why wouldn’t they “dare” to protect their interests. The over inflated self importance of some so called big clubs would be exposed to the reality that the FA can pull their plug out quite easily.
Because in my opinion there are no circumstances whatsoever where the FA would effectively seek to extinguish the top 6 clubs.  Too may people see them as the crown jewels of English football and there is too much money involved and there would be too many expensive lawyers involved.  But as I said it's academic as it will never happen.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #307 on: October 14, 2020, 12:27:48 PM »
There is a European League now - it is just wrongly named the Champions League.

Online WassallVillain

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #309 on: October 14, 2020, 01:28:25 PM »
Because in my opinion there are no circumstances whatsoever where the FA would effectively seek to extinguish the top 6 clubs.  Too may people see them as the crown jewels of English football and there is too much money involved and there would be too many expensive lawyers involved.  But as I said it's academic as it will never happen.

If they left the PL for a European super league then they'd be out of the FA as they wouldn't be in the English footballing system.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #310 on: October 14, 2020, 02:02:38 PM »
A City fans trust spokesman was on Sky Sports at lunchtime.  He spoke well and essentially said the fans of all top 6 clubs were in agreement and massively against these proposals, in particular the proposed voting structure.  Fair play to them and the other fans for opposing this so strongly.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #311 on: October 14, 2020, 02:07:39 PM »
If you tolerate this then your football team will be next, will be next...

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #312 on: October 14, 2020, 02:39:43 PM »

If they left the PL for a European super league then they'd be out of the FA as they wouldn't be in the English footballing system.

I'd imagine there were similar discussions before the Premier League was formed - "they'll never do it", "the Football League won't allow it", etc.

The biggest hurdle the Sky 6 would face would be getting the other big European clubs to join them. If they could do that they're effectively creating a new Champions League where they are in control. The TV money would follow and they could make it work. Without them it just doesn't work.

I'm just not sure the Barcas, Reals, Milans of this world are at the same point, especially as in the case of the Spanish clubs they get to sell their own TV rights already.

Offline danno

« Reply #313 on: October 14, 2020, 02:51:55 PM »
A super league would kill the Champions league and Europa stone dead. There isn't a chance UEFA nor FIFA or indeed any domestic FA would stand for their cash-cows being milked by other farmers.

Its as pie in the sky as the Scottish clubs joining the premier league, which used to be touted annually right up until a few years ago.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #314 on: October 14, 2020, 04:09:06 PM »
A super league would kill the Champions league and Europa stone dead. There isn't a chance UEFA nor FIFA or indeed any domestic FA would stand for their cash-cows being milked by other farmers.

Its as pie in the sky as the Scottish clubs joining the premier league, which used to be touted annually right up until a few years ago.

Yep, uefa would push to make players in that competition to be ineligible for the euros and world cup to protect it's own existence and that's why I don't see anything much beyond the existing Champions League happening any time soon.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal