collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by eamonn
[Today at 01:34:31 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 01:33:31 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 7 (SEVEN) - 2 Liverpool - post match thread  (Read 76479 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Aston Villa 7 (SEVEN) - 2 Liverpool - post match thread
« Reply #540 on: October 07, 2020, 09:21:56 AM »
It's the results that matter. Bollocks to ground conditions. I bet you if we had lost all 3 no one would have said it's because of lack of fans it would have been "they are shit" so whilst the scoreline v Liverpool may be bordering on freakish, result is not. We  deserve what we have so far.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #541 on: October 07, 2020, 09:29:23 AM »
Sunday's result was because we got at them from the off, got in front, forced them to chase the game, and then a team was have been so used to playing games on their terms didn't know how to react in that situation.

Couple that with us playing with unbelievable verve and there you have it.

It will become clearer once we repeat it several times in the coming months.

Offline danno

« Reply #542 on: October 07, 2020, 10:10:03 AM »
I'll be happy for everybody to put it down as a fluke, if it means more teams underestimate us.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #543 on: October 07, 2020, 10:51:13 AM »
Sunday's result was because we got at them from the off, got in front, forced them to chase the game, and then a team was have been so used to playing games on their terms didn't know how to react in that situation.

I was actually worried when we scored so early, as I thought "oh God, we're going to have to try to hang on for all of the match now." How wrong I was, they went at it like a hungry man at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #544 on: October 07, 2020, 10:57:31 AM »

I was actually worried when we scored so early, as I thought "oh God, we're going to have to try to hang on for all of the match now." How wrong I was, they went at it like a hungry man at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Yes as if eat out to help out was still in full swing and they’d ordered extra helpings of waffles and cream.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #545 on: October 07, 2020, 11:38:55 AM »
Not sure whether anyone has already mentioned this, and I know that there have been lots of comparisons with the 5-1 game, but it also feels similar in some ways to the Everton 6-2 game. Last fixture of the weekend, on the telly, we were big underdogs having only just stayed up the season before, Everton were still, just, covered by their mid-80s heyday glow. It sort of announced us to the rest of the league as a team to be taken seriously.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #546 on: October 07, 2020, 11:42:42 AM »
I think getting on the front foot so early with the goal and then having Barkeley pushing up onto their defence as well kept us on the front foot.  The tactics that had been worked out seemed to click for the entire team and it appeared mentally as if they said to themselves collectively "we can do this lot".  And so they went on and did it.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #547 on: October 07, 2020, 11:52:39 AM »

Yes as if eat out to help out was still in full swing and they’d ordered extra helpings of waffles and cream.

We now have vastly better players in the critical positions and maybe now we are playing the way the manager wanted last season and the players can actually deliver

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #548 on: October 07, 2020, 12:05:33 PM »
Not sure whether anyone has already mentioned this, and I know that there have been lots of comparisons with the 5-1 game, but it also feels similar in some ways to the Everton 6-2 game. Last fixture of the weekend, on the telly, we were big underdogs having only just stayed up the season before, Everton were still, just, covered by their mid-80s heyday glow. It sort of announced us to the rest of the league as a team to be taken seriously.

I think I have seen it mentioned a couple of times.  And a previously slated player Ormondroyd won us over that day with his wing wizardry.  Fast forward, Trez is today's Ormo!

Offline Risso

« Reply #549 on: October 07, 2020, 12:16:55 PM »

We now have vastly better players in the critical positions and maybe now we are playing the way the manager wanted last season and the players can actually deliver

I'd still like to see another nippy striker brought in.  There's no way Wesley can do what Watkins can.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #550 on: October 07, 2020, 12:27:25 PM »

I'd still like to see another nippy striker brought in.  There's no way Wesley can do what Watkins can.
True, but I could see SJM and RB being even more effective with Wesley as the pivot.
Different styles, different players ... hopefully, the same outcome.
Having some variety of approach will be  - in itself - a significant step forwards.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #551 on: October 07, 2020, 12:33:50 PM »

We have Keinan

Oh...

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #552 on: October 07, 2020, 12:38:43 PM »
Haven't read all 37 pages but has anyone posted the video of the goals set to Partridge's infamous football commentary? It's uncanny how they all fit (was hoping we had done something to fit the "And another one!" quip and we did!).

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #553 on: October 07, 2020, 12:42:27 PM »
No. Please do!

Offline Risso

« Reply #554 on: October 07, 2020, 12:56:11 PM »
Haven't read all 37 pages but has anyone posted the video of the goals set to Partridge's infamous football commentary? It's uncanny how they all fit (was hoping we had done something to fit the "And another one!" quip and we did!).

All over Twitter, will try to find it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal